Low carb vegan diet..

Since I posted this I have been really craving these foods! :laughing: Especially vegan cheese. I really fancy a chilli with jalapenos, avocado and melted cheeze on top.

I was talking with a woman online who has type 2 diabetes and she has to check her blood sugars (daily?) I was thinking about buying the kit and trying to eat low carb next week and see if it does makes any difference. Not that I have type 2 anyway, but I just wanted to see if it did change the results.

I'm bored indoors so I have time on my hands to experiment.

That does sound nice, and there are definitely a greater range of vegan cheezes in nz now. i also use pesto a bit, very handy, there is a vegan brand.

Some great ideas in that article, thanks.. :) ... might get a spiraliser at some point....

I would suggest getting a smaller hand held cheap version as it does the job perfectly well.
I bought mine at Ross for $ 8. TJ Max also sells them for the same price. I also have a large one with a handle which takes up far too much place on my counter top and it has ended up in my garage.
You can also slice courgettes thinly(lengthwise) with a sharp knife and coarsely grate vegetables with a basic grater if you don't have a spiraliser.

1601709571748.png

Reactions: Freesia
Oh, yes I will add vegan pesto to my grocery order. I have a spiralizer. I fancy having fresh carrot, courgette and cucumber with a pesto sauce. :)

Lower carb is meant to be good for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues. A well known British doctor I really respect says he has seen it work with a lot of his patients.

I find it too difficult. I do eat far too many carbs, especially bread. I find things like bread/crackers etc... almost addictive.

I know someone who belongs to a keto/low carb vegan group on FB and she has found it helpful.
Don't know if you heard about doctor Neal Barnard? He achieves the same results with a whole grain plant based diet, that is in reversing type 2 diabetes. There are many videos from him in youtube explaining it. Also remember watching an interview with a doctor, I think from his clinics, that mentions two cases, if I'm not mistaken, of 50% reduction in insulin use in type 1 diabetes.

Last edited:
Don't know if you heard about doctor Neal Barnard? He achieves the same results with a whole grain plant based diet, that is in reversing type 2 diabetes. There are many videos from him in youtube explaining it. Also remember watching an interview with a doctor, I think from his clinics, that mentions two cases, if I'm not mistaken, of 50% reduction in insulin use in type 1 diabetes.

This thread is about vegan low carb diets. It's making me think some people on this forum are paid shills.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
This thread is about vegan low carb diets. It's making me think some people on this forum are paid shills.
Low carb diets do get you quick weight loss. They're not healthy, and no doctor with a focus on nutrition would recommend.
The links people are providing don't need anyone to promote them! 🙄

Reactions: Emma JC and fakei
Go and discuss your views on another thread then! I'm not interested in your preachy views on WFPB diets. This is about low carb vegan diets.

Why don't all the people on this forum that have used this miraculous vegan diet that has made you so "healthy" start posting your photos before and after your transformation on a WFPB thread? Post your numbers before and after from your medical doctors as well.

• Friendly
Err. Well as has been discussed so far, in previous pages, the Whole food and whole grain diet is great but we are right now thinking about low carb, hence this thread. :)

• Love
Reactions: fakei and Raven
Re spiralisers, have been procrastinating on it, but could wel be very useful. i also have some pasta made of lentils, or chickpeas... sometimes i have that with the pesto.

But by far the best thing i have been doing with pesto lately, is getting a serving of sprouted lentils, chickpeas and mung beans (from the store) and folding some pesto through it. not a substantial lunch but does help... :)

Err. Well as has been discussed so far, in previous pages, the Whole food and whole grain diet is great but we are right now thinking about low carb, hence this thread. :)
It makes me think about starting a thread about Buddhism (for example) and then getting Christians posting how you are wrong and quoting scripture to prove it. Lol.

Does anyone here like spaghetti squash? I hate it. I've cooked it forever and it still tastes undercooked and squashy to me.
I would LIKE to like it. Any tips? Or do I just not like it
People love to talk to me about what they think are 'typical' vegan foods, and I guess this is one of them!

It makes me think about starting a thread about Buddhism (for example) and then getting Christians posting how you are wrong and quoting scripture to prove it. Lol.
Seriously Raven, people have only linked science backed evidence, and no one has completely dismissed it- only the long term, and cutting too low, as well as suggesting only whole unprocessed carbs

Reactions: fakei and Emma JC
Seriously Raven, people have only linked science backed evidence, and no one has completely dismissed it- only the long term, and cutting too low, as well as suggesting only whole unprocessed carbs

I'm talking about the almost religious zeal some of you have about these specific beliefs about nutrition. BTW, I'm waiting for the thread where you all show how "healthy" you are now and how it has reversed your health problems. I will be waiting for a long while...

Does anyone here like spaghetti squash? I hate it. I've cooked it forever and it still tastes undercooked and squashy to me.
People love to talk to me about what they think are 'typical' vegan foods, and I guess this is one of them!
nope, I like any squash other than spaghetti squash, agreed it always tastes watery to me

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: silva
I'm talking about the almost religious zeal some of you have about these specific beliefs about nutrition. BTW, I'm waiting for the thread where you all show how "healthy" you are now and how it has reversed your health problems. I will be waiting for a long while...
I have a huge interest interest in nutrition, and have followed a very strict wfpb diet long enough to lose weight, gain a ton more stamina, go off allergy meds, no asthma flare ups, and greatly reduce arthritis inflammation and soreness.
Food is as much a drug as any addiction, and I feel lucky it's about my only one, as I have drank and done drugs without getting addicted
I've also worked with a man on deaths door multiple times with heart disease, and other genetic and dietary brought on problems. I watched him follow Dr Esselstyns diet 100% and reverse it all

I have a huge interest interest in nutrition, and have followed a very strict wfpb diet long enough to lose weight, gain a ton more stamina, go off allergy meds, no asthma flare ups, and greatly reduce arthritis inflammation and soreness.
Food is as much a drug as any addiction, and I feel lucky it's about my only one, as I have drank and done drugs without getting addicted
I've also worked with a man on deaths door multiple times with heart disease, and other genetic and dietary brought on problems. I watched him follow Dr Esselstyns diet 100% and reverse it all

I can't even respond anymore. Good for you. I'm so happy your person on deaths door recovered.

Maybe start a new thread about all the miraculous things Dr Whatever has done for you all.

Again, this is a thread about low carb vegan diets.

Ironically I just bought one lol. It may be that you just don’t like it. I get what you mean about wanting to.
I cut mine in half...not an easy task...and cook it in the microwave. I like it a little firm and not mushy, the way I like my pasta. It’s not going to taste like pasta though. It does have a squash flavor to it. But I like it with tomato sauce and vegan parmesan best. Sometimes I will have it with vegan butter and the parmesan.

So, this part is meant to be funny, so please no one take offense...it’s kind of like trying to pass off spiral zucchini noodles as pasta or frozen blended banana as ice cream. It’s not! Lol. Each is good in its own right but frozen banana is not ice cream and spaghetti squash or spiral vegetables are not spaghetti. I need the real thing when I’m craving the real thing. Haha.

Oh, back to the spaghetti squash...sometimes I mix it with real spaghetti. It helps me eat less of the carby spaghetti but at least I can have a little of it if I’m craving it but trying to not eat so much of it. I think I can easily eat half a pound of spaghetti. It’s my favorite pasta.

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
I don’t usually like to take sides but in all fairness to the op, this thread is supposed to be for offering ideas on how to cut carbs while vegan. I can understand if someone had concerns because they don’t agree with it, and they were expressed, but maybe we can get back on topic. ☺️