Low carb vegan diet..

It's the processed carbs you should be avoiding.
The easiest and healthies weight loss is following Dr Gregers daily dozen.
Nothing time or space consuming, keep frozen veggies, cook up a weeks worth of grains, and beans-or canned beans, lentils, nuts seeds fruit

right now i have oats, oat bran, lentils and canned beans and quinoa... i will try and use those...i have very little freezer space though i do have space to store fresh vegetables. what is also useful at the moment are salad veg like cucumber and tomatoes as thry require so little prep... i also usually cook with veg that are easy to prep and cook relatively quickly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
It's the processed carbs you should be avoiding.
The easiest and healthies weight loss is following Dr Gregers daily dozen.
Nothing time or space consuming, keep frozen veggies, cook up a weeks worth of grains, and beans-or canned beans, lentils, nuts seeds fruit

i think this is his article... reading it now...

Reactions: Emma JC
I printed this out, took it over to the print shop and had it laminated, and hung it up on the fridge with a dry marker.
For those who are married to their phone - there is an app for that.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Dr. Gregar's checklist and Dr. Fuhrman's weight loss diet is the number of grains. Instead of 3, just one or two.

However, I find it almost impossible to eat all that in a day.

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
I printed this out, took it over to the print shop and had it laminated, and hung it up on the fridge with a dry marker.
For those who are married to their phone - there is an app for that.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Dr. Gregar's checklist and Dr. Fuhrman's weight loss diet is the number of grains. Instead of 3, just one or two.

However, I find it almost impossible to eat all that in a day.
There is a really nice poster you can buy and support nutritionfacts.org. I keep meaning to get it, but then don't. Maybe when I paint the kitchen?

yes that list is handy especially to remember not to eat too many nuts!

i am finding cabbage too prep heavy at the moment but i buy cauliflower and broccoli a lot, they are very handy to wash, chop etc..

also thinking of getting a greens powder, maybe spirulina...

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
yes that list is handy especially to remember not to eat too many nuts!

i am finding cabbage too prep heavy at the moment but i buy cauliflower and broccoli a lot, they are very handy to wash, chop etc..

also thinking of getting a greens powder, maybe spirulina...
Have you tasted spirulina before? I think it is vile! :laughing:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
I just got the post delivered and there is an article in one of magazines I subscribe to about keto so I may as well post it here. It says it is better to do it short term as that GP I mentioned said.

It says plant based options on keto are vegan full fat "dairy" like coconut yoghurt, vegan butter, cashew cheese, vegan cream cheese. Vegan proteins like tofu, soya milk, tempeh. Nut butters. Coconut products like coconut milk. Avocado and olive oil as well, I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
I just got the post delivered and there is an article in one of magazines I subscribe to about keto so I may as well post it here. It says it is better to do it short term as that GP I mentioned said.

It says plant based options on keto are vegan full fat "dairy" like coconut yoghurt, vegan butter, cashew cheese, vegan cream cheese. Vegan proteins like tofu, soya milk, tempeh. Nut butters. Coconut products like coconut milk. Avocado and olive oil as well, I suppose.

You can also add seitan, linseed, coconut flour, almond flour and soya black beans to the list. :)

Reactions: Raven and Freesia
It says it is better to do it short term as that GP I mentioned said.
I don't think there is any disagreement there. I think all the "keto Dr's" state that is is only a short term diet.

I also think there is no disagreement that it is an effective and safe diet in the short term.

Reactions: fakei and Freesia
So... not to beat a dead horse but I got this article in my news feed this AM.

Really nothing new in the article - at least for me. but a few nice quotes are worth posting.

the short term benefit of quick weight loss is outweighed by the eventual weight rebound where people gain back all the weight and more and have higher cholesterol in the bargain.​
It is also unclear whether the weight loss is caused by achieving ketosis or simply by calorie restriction."​
the best bet, for long-term heart health and living an active healthy lifestyle that includes maintaining a healthy weight, according to Dr. Andrew Freeman, a cardiologist who conducted the Denver study, is a diet high in fruits and vegetables, whole grains and legumes, nuts, and seeds, and low in animal fat.​

Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC

Ive been looking at keto.... mostly right now i am trying to cut carbs... and i eat too many nuts i think so will cut back a little on those, it is amazing how easy it is to eat a large bag of nuts 😂

will get some coconut yoghurt, will be nice to have it over the summer :)

Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
I'm actually thinking of trying keto/low carb myself after reading again about it. The foods you can eat sound delicious.

I'm on my mainly potato kick at the moment. :laughing:

I'm actually thinking of trying keto/low carb myself after reading again about it. The foods you can eat sound delicious.

I'm on my mainly potato kick at the moment. :laughing:

Yes, i am also having this issues, some salt and vinegar chips (crisps) have found their way into my regular rotation at the moment... 🤔

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
Peanuts are not carbs!

Peanuts are a low carb food. 73% fat, 16% protein, 12% carbs.
WFPB diet recommends just one handful of peanuts a day.

Chips are not carbs!

Chips are 54% fat, 43% carbs and 3% protein.
A WFPB diet includes no chips.

I suppose on a keto or low carb diet you can eat as much chips and nuts as you want. No wonder it sounds good to you. and how much weight are you losing now?

I bet if you just cut out the chips and restricted your nuts - and did nothing else - you would start losing weight.

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
Peanuts are not carbs!

Peanuts are a low carb food. 73% fat, 16% protein, 12% carbs.
WFPB diet recommends just one handful of peanuts a day.

Chips are not carbs!

Chips are 54% fat, 43% carbs and 3% protein.
A WFPB diet includes no chips.

I suppose on a keto or low carb diet you can eat as much chips and nuts as you want. No wonder it sounds good to you. and how much weight are you losing now?

I bet if you just cut out the chips and restricted your nuts - and did nothing else - you would start losing weight.
Why are you being so rude and weirdly aggressive towards Freesia?

She said she was interested in low carb diets so people have been posting information for her. It's up to her what she decides to do with her own body and health.

What is your medical training, out of interest?

• Wow
Reactions: silva
Sorry, I have been blunt.
I do have little patience with people who go off on fad diets. Maybe because of all the times I have seen people calling veganism a fad diet. So I should be more tolerant. but keto is one of my hot buttons. (don't even get me started on Paleo). Plus I'm so tired of hearing about how carbs are bad. And low carb is good. When actually carbs are good and low carb is bad.
Also, I expect vegans to be better informed about nutrition. I'm an ethical vegan too but I also want to be healthy so I learned about nutrition.
Nutrition is a hard thing to learn about - there are just so many myths and misconceptions. Especially when you start looking at weight loss strategies. But it's not rocket science.
And since you asked, I have had college-level classes on biology, botany, metabolism, and nutrition.