Low carb vegan diet..

Doesn't he like any vegan food at all?

My husband didn't used to eat fruit and veg at all before he had cancer. Now he eats fruit daily. He is still not keen on veg unless I sneak spinach into a smoothie. He used to drink coke and now he only drinks water.

Have you ever tempted him with some of the following dishes that contain lots of vegetables ; vegetable bake topped with Violife, lentil or and bean and vegetable soup, vegetable tart, baked vegetable croquettes ?
Lots of people think that they don't like vegetables and should try some adventurous and original recipes. :D

Reactions: Freesia
Have you ever tempted him with some of the following dishes that contain lots of vegetables ; vegetable bake topped with Violife, lentil or and bean and vegetable soup, vegetable tart, baked vegetable croquettes ?
Lots of people think that they don't like vegetables and should try some adventurous and original recipes. :D
He had tried some of my cooking in the past and said it was good but he won’t choose to eat it over his usual standbys. I have offered several times to help him transition to even a partial change but he is too resistant and it’s not in my nature to push.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
My husband just doesn't like veg at all. When he was a kid his stepmother used to feed him watery overcooked veg at home and now he refuses to eat them. He hates the smell of vegetables cooking even, I suppose like I am with the smell of meat and fish. I can't stand the smell of eggs cooking either.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
He had tried some of my cooking in the past and said it was good but he won’t choose to eat it over his usual standbys. I have offered several times to help him transition to even a partial change but he is too resistant and it’s not in my nature to push.

Does he do all of his own cooking ? I'm so pleased that I don't have to feed anyone as I don't think that I could cater for someone that doesn't eat my meals. :D

If he makes fried eggs he cooks them himself. I buy him organic eggs and cheese but he doesn't eat that heathily at all, really. Just much better than he used to. He eats far too many breads, bagels, crumpets etc... like me.

I was looking up what wholegrains you eat on a WFPB diet, now I'm mentioning it, lol. Brown rice, rolled oats, farro, quinoa, brown rice pasta, barley, etc. I don't like any of those foods, except maybe rice, but I prefer white basmati. I have no idea what farro even is.

What were the substitutes you ate instead? Oats?

You two sound like you have done very well. Impressive that your wife could reverse her diabetes.

I can't remember if I said this on this thread but the woman on the other forum said her doctor said she is back to a pre-diabetic level now, but she is following a paleo diet. She avoids refined carbs too.
Raven,

The trouble with getting old is....can't remember much of anything. It's been too long ago.

Actually, I did ask my wife and she really can't remember for certain either what we had for breakfast on regular basis. I believe that I still wasn't eating breakfast before her diagnosis because I was still working--but I really can't remember. It would have been toast with butter & jelly at least or something with creme cheese. We can't get bagels here, but I made a really fine loaf substitute for an everything bagel. I would also make baguettes on a regular basis. If my wife was still frequently baking as well, her kolaches which are the absolute best anyone who's ever tried them says, we've never tried to veganize yet, but I remain hopeul 🙏. Weekends though eggs, bacon or sausage, possibly potatoes. Also in the mix pancakes or french toast or some other pastry she'd make.

My wife's regular breakfast would be cereal--something like grape nuts in the winter sometimes rolled oats. She would have it with yogurt usually and some fruit like a banana or peach. After her diagnosis we went to the store and looked for no added sugar cereals and the only that seemed to fit the bill was Bob's Red Mill Muesli. She would have this with yogurt ( home made plain) or almond milk. We had tried soy milk when it first came out and found it was awful. Later when we tried it again and could find plain unsweetened that made a difference. She would have this with 1/2 an apple or some other fruit. I can find out what she was eating exactly and amounts as she kept a food diary and continues to do so now. Now it's more what she eats not to track carbs.

To give you an example why I thought it was a lot to do with calorie restriction was a serving of the muesli was a 1/4 cup to bring it in under her carb requirement.

Later we got rolled oats and ate them like a cold cereal because it was much less expensive and just as good if one added their own fruit. We did give up bread and some changes we made were substituting whole wheat pasta and limiting amounts. We did eat homemade pizza, but now the crust was rolled out to extremely thin like a tortilla and we found that by using 50% whole wheat and white her blood sugar didn't spike. We just ate a lot more produce proportionately at every meal. Usually it was fresh produce because it tasted better.

Lunches from what I can remember could be something like a whole wheat tortilla with cheese and peppers. Desert would be a portion of fruit , even dates and a few almonds, again with an eye on carb content. We didn't count calories, or even "net carbs".

We did give up bread, most baked goods, white rice and anything with added sugar. We would eat whole baked potato, or sweet potato including the skin. We weren't shy about trying whole grain varieties when we could, like oat groats, different wheats ( cooked as grain) and even plain popcorn no fat, no salt, cooked in the microwave. As time went by our weight dropped-- it wasn't too hard either. I kept buying my clothes at the thrift store because I never knew what size I was or would wind up and was fully expecting my weight loss to stop at any moment.

Sorry I can' t remember more details right now.

Now we do eat whole grain bread, because I mill my own flour and don't sift. I will also cook grains because I like them. Now we're mostly completely oil free, extremely low salt, but we indulge in miso (life without it is meaningless :rolleyes:) and we eat more isn general I eat a LOT more.

I'll try to take a look at her old food journal and see if there's anything that I can add.

this for example.. nice but not good for dieting.

Reactions: KLS52
Those cookies don't seem so bad.
Maybe the thing you have to do is make sure you stick to the recommended serving size.

I really shouldn't be giving any diet advice cause I was never that good at losing weight. but i still use a little quarter cup bowl to ration things like cookies and pretzels. I have a 2 tbsp size bowl for nuts.

Those cookies don't seem so bad.
Maybe the thing you have to do is make sure you stick to the recommended serving size.

I really shouldn't be giving any diet advice cause I was never that good at losing weight. but i still use a little quarter cup bowl to ration things like cookies and pretzels. I have a 2 tbsp size bowl for nuts.

It seems that i cant stick well to smaller amounts of sugary things, sadly it seems easier to have none of it at all than set a limit... too moreish... i seem to lack self control.... 😕

It seems that i cant stick well to smaller amounts of sugary things, sadly it seems easier to have none of it at all than set a limit... too moreish... i seem to lack self control.... 😕
Freesia,

Do you think you could go for a few days substituting fruit for your regular snack treats? I have quite the sweet tooth, but I satisfy it with fruit. Any fruit you can eat out of hand doesn't take much prep--other than making sure it's with you when you want it.

There are snacks that I just can't have in the house because once I start I will finish them off, but since fresh whole fruits are not too calorie dense, (compared to candy, cookies, etc) , it doesn't seem to affect my weigh and I don't really limit my consumption. Just an example of how much I eat would be grapes, 11 pounds/ week if it's just me eating them. That is in addition to 3 meals a day and lots of other fruit every day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
this for example.. nice but not good for dieting.

Sugar and food that contains a lot of flour (especially if highly processed) is addictive. The more often you eat these kind of snacks, they more you'll crave them.

Nut butters are more satisfying and don't trigger cravings. There are quite a lot of snacks that you can eat that won't give you sugar spikes.
Are you eating enough satisfying food during meal times ? Eating a well balanced meals deters from too much snacking. :)

Freesia,

Do you think you could go for a few days substituting fruit for your regular snack treats? I have quite the sweet tooth, but I satisfy it with fruit. Any fruit you can eat out of hand doesn't take much prep--other than making sure it's with you when you want it.

There are snacks that I just can't have in the house because once I start I will finish them off, but since fresh whole fruits are not too calorie dense, (compared to candy, cookies, etc) , it doesn't seem to affect my weigh and I don't really limit my consumption. Just an example of how much I eat would be grapes, 11 pounds/ week if it's just me eating them. That is in addition to 3 meals a day and lots of other fruit every day.

ive tried that, but i seem to get tired of the fruit and then back to the sweet things again... 😕

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Sugar and food that contains a lot of flour (especially if highly processed) is addictive. The more often you eat these kind of snacks, they more you'll crave them.

Nut butters are more satisfying and don't trigger cravings. There are quite a lot of snacks that you can eat that won't give you sugar spikes.
Are you eating enough satisfying food during meal times ? Eating a well balanced meals deters from too much snacking. :)

I have tried so many different things, over years... it seems the only thing to do is not have snacks at all...

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
a couple on YouTube that I watch, Krocks in the Kitchen, who have lost over 300 lbs between the two of them on a WFPB diet, have a rule they try to stick to.... they don't allow themselves to buy anything, at the store and bring it home, that they don't wish to eat - when they are out to eat or travelling they may eat some not recommended foods but never at home - good for them for being able to stick to that

I do buy cookies and try to have just one or two for dessert and I am pretty successful, my honey has less will power and will often eat too many. I also have one of those huge dark chocolate bars that I break into pieces and store in the fridge and often have two pieces of that instead. I also keep cereal for snacking. Shreddies, or Gorilla puffs, kamut puffs etc.

I am more of a savoury snackers so chips, pretzels, popcorn, tortilla chips, those are the items I have to be careful with those snacks.

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52 and Freesia