Music Lou Reed - RIP - Black Angel's Death Song

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Sharing a letter I wrote to some former bandmates about the passing of Lou Reed.

I’m not certain the exact time or place I first heardVelvet Underground and Nico – whether it was Duane’s cozy multi-couch basement where we heard so many amazing records, or perhaps at one of ‘the Gang’s’ spontaneous gatherings somewhere. But the moment I heard the ominous squeal of John Cale’s viola, the drone of Lou’s strangely tuned guitar and the icy beat of Maureen’s tambourine, like ghostly chains dragging across a dungeon floor on ‘Venus in Furs’ - I completely surrendered to the immediately compelling need to have this record for my very own. From that point on – the story of my life can forever be bookmarked by the works of Lou Reed. Each album has a place in my memory as definitive as the memories themselves. The songs are woven into the very tapestry of those experiences.
Bruce, Duane, Scott and I wore out a cassette copy of Reed’sNew York – driving through the narrow streets of Soho on the way to and fromLogic Downwards rehearsals.
Songs for Drella was strapped to my hip via a ‘CD walkman’ and accompanied me through countless miles in the tunnels of the NYC subways.
I started and ended many successive days with Magic and Loss –as ithelped me get through the long hours at Zabar’s.
There is not a Halloween in October without at least one complete playing of the forever brilliantly enigmatic ‘The Raven.’
These are just a few examples, but they stretch right up toLulu and often out of order. I didn’t come to appreciate Berlin andEcstasy until just a few years ago. The records found me when I was ready for them.
I think it is fair to say that we all took our cues from Lou. As those whose appreciation for music is paramount to our lives – he was our teacher. A loving, but stern father – who described life as it was – no matter how ugly, bitter, tormented or vile it could be. He shined light on the murky depths of all of our souls and made certain that we understood thatthese dark places exist in all of us. And he assembled these stories and lessons into musical structures that defied rules – purposely veering away from the mainstream. Upsetting the balance for the sake of upsetting it. He put lyrical verses in parts of songs where there was no room for all the words. And he put them there anyway. Always experimenting – always challenging the listeners, puzzling and damning the fans and the critics alike.
I have always marveled at Lou’s ability to capture moments and illustrate vivid scenes - scenes that stick in your head, even though much of the time you’d rather they not be stuck there. They aren’t songs you play casually. They’re songs that smack so much of the streets that you can practically smell the diesel and the urine, the steam boiled Coney Island dogs or the mustard on salted pretzels. You can feel the needles *****, hear the suffering and the sadness and the madness. The characters in the songs come to life, they look familiar – and you spend time with them – know them, love them, despise them, forsake them. You experience life through their eyes – sometimes it repulses you – and sometimes it changes you.
For me – no other artist quite captured New York City life like Lou. I’m certain that a part of New York City died with him.
Rest in peace, Lou - warrior, conqueror, poet of the streets.

Sharing a letter I wrote to some former bandmates about the passing of Lou Reed.

I’m not certain the exact time or place I first heardVelvet Underground and Nico – whether it was Duane’s cozy multi-couch basement where we heard so many amazing records, or perhaps at one of ‘the Gang’s’ spontaneous gatherings somewhere. But the moment I heard the ominous squeal of John Cale’s viola, the drone of Lou’s strangely tuned guitar and the icy beat of Maureen’s tambourine, like ghostly chains dragging across a dungeon floor on ‘Venus in Furs’ - I completely surrendered to the immediately compelling need to have this record for my very own. From that point on – the story of my life can forever be bookmarked by the works of Lou Reed. Each album has a place in my memory as definitive as the memories themselves. The songs are woven into the very tapestry of those experiences.
Bruce, Duane, Scott and I wore out a cassette copy of Reed’sNew York – driving through the narrow streets of Soho on the way to and fromLogic Downwards rehearsals.
Songs for Drella was strapped to my hip via a ‘CD walkman’ and accompanied me through countless miles in the tunnels of the NYC subways.
I started and ended many successive days with Magic and Loss –as ithelped me get through the long hours at Zabar’s.
There is not a Halloween in October without at least one complete playing of the forever brilliantly enigmatic ‘The Raven.’
These are just a few examples, but they stretch right up toLulu and often out of order. I didn’t come to appreciate Berlin andEcstasy until just a few years ago. The records found me when I was ready for them.
I think it is fair to say that we all took our cues from Lou. As those whose appreciation for music is paramount to our lives – he was our teacher. A loving, but stern father – who described life as it was – no matter how ugly, bitter, tormented or vile it could be. He shined light on the murky depths of all of our souls and made certain that we understood thatthese dark places exist in all of us. And he assembled these stories and lessons into musical structures that defied rules – purposely veering away from the mainstream. Upsetting the balance for the sake of upsetting it. He put lyrical verses in parts of songs where there was no room for all the words. And he put them there anyway. Always experimenting – always challenging the listeners, puzzling and damning the fans and the critics alike.
I have always marveled at Lou’s ability to capture moments and illustrate vivid scenes - scenes that stick in your head, even though much of the time you’d rather they not be stuck there. They aren’t songs you play casually. They’re songs that smack so much of the streets that you can practically smell the diesel and the urine, the steam boiled Coney Island dogs or the mustard on salted pretzels. You can feel the needles *****, hear the suffering and the sadness and the madness. The characters in the songs come to life, they look familiar – and you spend time with them – know them, love them, despise them, forsake them. You experience life through their eyes – sometimes it repulses you – and sometimes it changes you.
For me – no other artist quite captured New York City life like Lou. I’m certain that a part of New York City died with him.
Rest in peace, Lou - warrior, conqueror, poet of the streets.

Beautiful!! You have captured what is Lou Reed perfectly! He will be missed; another great one. RIP

Reactions: Dedalus and Freesia
Some great Lou Reed lyrics:

Rock Minuet

Paralyzed by hatred and a **** ugly soul
If he murdered his father, he thought he'd become whole
While listening at night to an old radio
Where they danced to the rock minuet
In the gay bars in the back of the bar
He consummated hatred on a cold sawdust floor
While the jukebox played backbeats, he sniffed coke off a jar
While they danced to a rock minuet
School was a waste, he was meant for the street
But school was the only way, the army could be beat
The two whores sucked his nipples 'til he came on their feet
As they danced to the rock minuet
He dreamt that his father was sunk to his knees
His leather belt tied so tight that it was hard to breathe
And the studs from his jacket were as cold as a breeze
As he danced to a rock minuet
He pictured the bedroom where he heard the first cry
His mother on all fours, ah, with his father behind
And her yell hurt so much, he had wished he'd gone blind
And rocked to a rock minuet
In the back of the warehouse were a couple of guys
They had tied someone up and sewn up their eyes
And he got so excited he came on his thighs
When they danced to the rock minuet
On avenue b, someone cruised him one night
He took him in an alley and then pulled a knife
And thought of his father, as he cut his windpipe
And finally danced to the rock minuet
In the curse of the alley, the thrill of the street
On the bitter cold docks where the outlaws all meet
In euphoria drug in euphoria heat
You could dance to the rock minuet
In the thrill of the needle and anonymous sex
You could dance to the rock minuet
So when you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance hard, slow dancing
When you dance to the rock minuet

...and these - Power and The Glory

I was visited by The Power and The Glory
I was visited by a majestic hymn
Great bolts of lightning
lightning up the sky
Electricity flowing through my veins
I was captured by a larger moment
I was seized by divinity's hot breath
Gorged like a lion on experience
Powerful from life
I wanted all of it -
Not some of it
I saw a man turn into a bird
I saw a bird turn into a tiger
I saw a man hang from a cliff by the tips of his toes
in the jungles of the Amazon
I saw a man put a red hot needle through his eye
turn into a crow and fly through the trees
swallows hot coals and breathe out flames
and I wanted this to happen to me
We saw the moon vanish into his pocket
We saw the stars disappear from sight
We saw him walk across water into the sun
while bathed in eternal light
We spewed out questions waiting for answers
creating legends, religions and myths
Books, stories, movies and plays
all trying to explain this
I saw a great man turn into a little child
The cancer reduced him to dust
His voice growing weak as he fought for his life
with a bravery few men know
I saw isotopes introduced into his lungs
trying to stop the cancerous spread
And it made me think of Leda and The Swan
and gold being made from lead
The same power that burned Hiroshima
causing three legged babies and death
Shrunk to the size of a nickel
to help him regain his breath
And I was struck by The Power and The Glory
I was visited by a majestic Him
Great bolts of lightning lighting up the sky
as the radiation flowed through him
He wanted all of it
Not some of it

Reactions: ledboots
Early one morning I was on my way to work in Manhattan walking across Broadway on the Upper West Side. Obviously - Broadway is a very wide street - it's 4 lanes of traffic with a big median in between with park benches and stuff. So anyway, I was shuffling some papers in my hands while waiting for the light to change. When I looked up I immediately froze having recognized Lou Reed standing on the other side of Broadway - waiting to cross as well.

I must have had a telling look on my face - because Lou looked straight at me - and I could tell he must have been saying to himself: 'Oh no...' So as we began walking toward one another - my heart was racing. I couldn't very well make a fool of myself ( :master:) in front of one of my idols. I had to keep my cool - he would never remember me - that was okay - I could give nothing to him. I thought - I'm not going to stop him in the middle of the street. I'll just take this experience for myself. BUT I HAVE TO TOUCH HIM. (Hoping to extract some form of that brilliance - hell, even the street grime on Lou Reed's jacket is inspirational!)

As we approached each other, I put my head down. I wanted him to know that though I had recognized him, I had no intention of getting all star-struck. We met in the middle of Broadway and without stopping, I casually reached out my hand as he passed and lightly gave him a single pat on the arm. I muttered something inane like 'Love your work, man.'

I did not look back to see where he was headed - but did that ever make my day. :starshower:

Reactions: Chryssie