Literature Literature recommendations for relaxing vacation

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'll be going on vacation with the family next week. It will be proper vacation without my computer, sitting in a deck chair by a pool, not doing anything much, and definitely nothing that could remind me of work.

I don't often read fiction, but I enjoy it when I do.

I think I'm looking for something well written and soothing rather than something 'challenging'. And comedy rather than tragedy - life is already full of tragedy.

Do you know anything that might fit those criteria?

The first book that pops up in my memory is The Gentleman of Moscow. Its historical fiction. Not a page turner but very fulfilling.
Another book that I can recommend is Widow for a Year. That book had me laughing and crying at the same time - which wasn't something that I thought was possible. but any book by John Irving is a good book to read.
And if you are just looking for a good time, anything by Carl Hiaasen is fun. Squeeze me was his last book and its really good.
On planes, I require a good ol' fashioned page turner. Not sure if you will be traveling on a plane and maybe reading a book you can't put down might not be so good to read with other things to do. but I loved The Martian. Or maybe the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
If you are driving, you might want to download and audio book to listen to in the car. Something the whole family can enjoy.

another thing you might do is just scroll thru this thread and look at what books other VFers recommend. You could probably even figure out which of us have tastes that most closely correspond to yours.

another thing you might do is just scroll thru this thread and look at what books other VFers recommend. You could probably even figure out which of us have tastes that most closely correspond to yours.

Oh, not this thread. but the other thread -the What Are You Reading Now thread.

I love history! And I've read several of John Irving's books in my younger days - loved them! I think I've seen Hiaasen's name mentioned before, so I'm curious what his books are like. Also, he has Norwegian ancestry, and I'm generally interested to learn more about "my people" over there.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Hiassen's novels are great. They fit into the Crime genera. the stories are super satirical. Even approaching the absurd. The books all take place in Florida (mostly the South East part). The geography and culture of SE Fl are a big part of the story.

You won't find any references to his Norwegian background. But you will laugh out loud.

If you search "hiassen" in VF you will mostly see my posts but I know there are others here who love him too.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo takes place in Norway. Or some Scandavian country. :)

Jo Nesbo is a Norwegian Crime Novelist. His books are really good. I've read The Bat and The Snowman. They fit more into my take on a plane recommendation.

I just finished a Historical audio book called the Bomber Mafia. Its mostly about the Army Air Corps and WWII. Malcolm Caldwell who wrote the book and did the narration says he wrote the book with the intention of it being an audio book. Think of it as super great podcast.

If you like Historical Fiction check out any of the books by Erik Larson. The Devil and the White City and Thunderstruck are my two favorites.

Oh. and The Light We Cannot See is fantastic.

Hiassen's novels are great. They fit into the Crime genera. the stories are super satirical. Even approaching the absurd. The books all take place in Florida (mostly the South East part). The geography and culture of SE Fl are a big part of the story.

You won't find any references to his Norwegian background. But you will laugh out loud.

If you search "hiassen" in VF you will mostly see my posts but I know there are others here who love him too.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo takes place in Norway. Or some Scandavian country. :)

Jo Nesbo is a Norwegian Crime Novelist. His books are really good. I've read The Bat and The Snowman. They fit more into my take on a plane recommendation.

I just finished a Historical audio book called the Bomber Mafia. Its mostly about the Army Air Corps and WWII. Malcolm Caldwell who wrote the book and did the narration says he wrote the book with the intention of it being an audio book. Think of it as super great podcast.

If you like Historical Fiction check out any of the books by Erik Larson. The Devil and the White City and Thunderstruck are my two favorites.

Oh. and The Light We Cannot See is fantastic.
Couldn't agree more about Hiaasen! Love, love, love his books.

And if you are just looking for a good time, anything by Carl Hiaasen is fun. Squeeze me was his last book and its really good.
Right, that was the book I ended up with!
Yep, sums up this book nicely, too. Satirical crime novel set in Florida. I think some of the cultural references were lost on me, such as brand names, but I could mostly deduce what it was about from context and common sense. Overall it was perfect, relaxing holiday entertainment, which was exactly what I wanted.

I am reading A Man From Moscow and am enjoying it - have Rules of Civility waiting when I am done.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Gentleman from Moscow is the best. I didn't like Rules nearly as much
Let me know when you finish Gentleman. I'd love to discuss it with you.

I'm reading his latest, the Lincoln Highway right now. So far I don't love it.