Literature Unpopular Book Opinions

What caused the sudden influx of reading capability then?

I don't know! :rolleyes:

Like I said, something just clicked.

It was the same for Jane Austen, the Brontë sisters, George Eliot and Thomas Hardy to name the ones from the top of my head. (Not all at the same time... Let me think.. Tolkien when I was 16, Brontës when I was 14, Austen 13, Eliot 20, Hardy 18.... )
Still can't get along with Dickens.

Modern day authors I'm fine with generally (unless they're pretentious twats like Ian McEwan who annoy me), it's the archaic language that I struggle with.

Regardless of what Wuthering Heights is about, it can't trump the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. It really can't.The reason why it isn't as well known as Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre is that it was suppressed after Anne's death (Charlotte played a large role in that) because it was basically deemed unsuitable and shocking. Of course it was unsuitable and shocking, a women leaving her husband and taking her son with her? Completely unspeakable in Victorian Britain not to mention against the law. Not appropriate reading for women at all. :no:

Anyway, I couldn't stand Wuthering Heights when I read it. The characters just ****** me off.

I really, really want to read Tenant of Wildfell Hall now. I will be looking for it.

Re: Wuthering heights, well it is a romance novel and if you are not a fan of romances then it is not going to appeal I guess. No book is for everyone : ) .

I really, really want to read Tenant of Wildfell Hall now. I will be looking for it.

Read it! Read it! Read it! :D

Re: Wuthering heights, well it is a romance novel and if you are not a fan of romances then it is not going to appeal I guess. No book is for everyone : ) .

Oh I do like romances. But not romances with characters that I want to slap because they're so annoying. :p

I didnt find them annoying. They were both pretty insane and I think the idea was that noone else was as insane as them or would be suited to them.

Yep I will be looking for it at the bookstores.

Well I have an unpopular author: Dan Brown.

I've read 3 of his books and they all have identical plot lines. It's like he takes the same house and just changes the color of the paint.
I don't hate him.

His books, while probably not literary wonder-works, were a bit entertaining when I first read them.

Might be an unpopular book opinion: I really enjoyed reading The DaVinci Code.

I also read The DaVinci Code and enjoyed it. It was the first Dan Brown book I ever read. The second book I tried was Angels & Demons, I didn't find it to be as enjoyable, I thought it was similar in plot, but somewhat simplistic when compared to The DaVinci Code.
However, he wrote Angels & Demons before The DaVinci Code so maybe it took him awhile to get up to speed on his writing. I haven't read his new book so I can't say whether this is true or not.

There are quite a few authors that have repeated plots, off the top of my head there's Zane Grey, one of the most famous American western writers.
I read all his westerns in my youth and in all his books (50+) he only used three plots, and one of those he only used once. He was the first writer I recognized for recycling plots.
Louis L'Amour is another famous western writer who recycled plots in several of his novels. But what bothered me most about many of L'Amour's stories, wasn't the recycling of the plot but the recycling of a small plot device (that I never liked the first time around). The hero would carry the key piece to solving his problems around with him (like a tally book or a letter he took off a dead body) and while often saying he was going to, somehow never get around to looking them over until the end of the story. He did the same thing with the hero saying he was going to make to make a trip to talk to someone (who takes the place of the tally book/letter) and somehow never getting there until the end of the story.
And how about Robert Ludlum of Bourne Identity fame, almost all of his books are big corrupt government vs. the little guy. I enjoyed a lot of his books but I finally got tired of reading the same plot over and over.
There are many more but this is all I can think of right now.

I saw that in the bookstore. But I like Pride and Prejudice and dont feel it has any need for zombies.

To Be Perfectly Honest, one of the ways I enjoy literature from Austen or Bronte is to get the DVD of it. That way I get to enjoy not only the dialogue but also the costumes and the settings and actors. I always watch the special features too, I am fascinated with how they are made.

I have Andrew Davies's pride and prejudice and his sense and sensibility, and I have the Jane Eyre which has Mia Vavivkowa (?) in it. I think it is very well done.

Unpopular opinion:
Unless the "classic" novel from earlier than 1950 was written by Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde, H.G. Wells, Jonathan Swift, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Edgar Allan Poe, Jack London, Henry Rider Haggard, Arthur Conan Doyle, Daniel Defoe, Lewis Carroll, L. Frank Baum, Jonathan Swift, or James Fenimore Cooper it's very unlikely to be an enjoyable read.

Annie, have you read Wolf Hall? It's historical fiction written by a lady shape that is quite good :)

No not from Catholics - people just think he's a terrible writer and as you said, recycles plots. It's a popular opinion among people who read a lot, instead of those who pick up a book every now and then because they've heard of a lot about it. Not being snobby there - neither group are 'better'.

Yup!

Unpopular opinion:
Unless the "classic" novel from earlier than 1950 was written by Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde, H.G. Wells, Jonathan Swift, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Edgar Allan Poe, Jack London, Henry Rider Haggard, Arthur Conan Doyle, Daniel Defoe, Lewis Carroll, L. Frank Baum, Jonathan Swift, or James Fenimore Cooper it's very unlikely to be an enjoyable read.

Fyodor?

Unpopular opinion:

Voltaire?

I thought LOTR was pretty easy to get through.

Silmarillion, as noted before, is another story altogether though.

I've tried on at least 3 occasions to read the Silmarillion, failed on all tries. IIRC its akin to reading the bible, which I have also failed on all attempts to read through.

I've tried on at least 3 occasions to read the Silmarillion, failed on all tries. IIRC its akin to reading the bible, which I have also failed on all attempts to read through.

I can't agree with this more. He blatantly took themes from the bible and mythology. As I read the first 20 pages I kept on waiting for some original content.

Well I have an unpopular author: Dan Brown.

I've read 3 of his books and they all have identical plot lines. It's like he takes the same house and just changes the color of the paint.

I tried three times to read The DaVinci Code and could never get through the first chapter because his writing is so poor that it irritated me.

It must **** off decent writers that hacks like Brown manage to get rich with inferior skills.

Reactions: Renee1
I tried three times to read The DaVinci Code and could never get through the first chapter because his writing is so poor that it irritated me.

It must **** off decent writers that hacks like Brown manage to get rich with inferior skills.

It's true that some of the richest writers are really quite terrible writers. It can be really frustrating if they're tackling heavy or interesting ideas, but they just don't have the skills to put it off.