Literature Unpopular Book Opinions

It's true that some of the richest writers are really quite terrible writers. It can be really frustrating if they're tackling heavy or interesting ideas, but they just don't have the skills to put it off.

Yeah I hate when an author has a great concept and really interesting ideas/plots but they just can't pull it off. Like Jean M Auel, if she had been a better writer then Earth's Children would be one of my favourite things ever.

Well, we've already ascertained that, while you had excellent taste in books as a kid, your literary tastes have declined since then. :p

I know, I know, lol. I read more than there are "quality" books to go around. I still don't think Dan Brown is all that bad though... :p

I know, I know, lol. I read more than there are "quality" books to go around. I still don't think Dan Brown is all that bad though... :p

Hell, I read my fair share of dreck. What we find tolerable or not comes down to personal preference. Not that I'm admitting that my personal preference isn't superior to yours, of course. :p

I read constantly, and as entertainment is the top priority in the majority of my reading, I find that many of the lighter novels, which some people might think have no real value, are my favorites. And Dan Brown while not being one of my top authors was still an enjoyable read.

Before I get to my opinion, Tenant of Wildfell Hall is in the public domain (as are other novels of the time). Here's a link to the text in several formats: link

My opinion won't be unpopular here, but is very unpopular with people I hang out with: 95%+ of all multi-volume fantasy is pure drek, as is 100% of all such work inspired by role playing games.

Before I get to my opinion, Tenant of Wildfell Hall is in the public domain (as are other novels of the time). Here's a link to the text in several formats: link

My opinion won't be unpopular here, but is very unpopular with people I hang out with: 95%+ of all multi-volume fantasy is pure drek, as is 100% of all such work inspired by role playing games.

Do you like the books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman?

Do you like the books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman?

Dragonlance stuff, right? Probably harmless, but I've sat through too many 'thrilling' gaming stories to pay much attention to anything published by TSR/WotC. I only recall reading one of the DL books all the way through. Apparently it didn't inspire me to try any others in that series.

Is drek a derogatory word? :p

If people only read "quality" books there would be no publishing industry. I'd actually argue that 95% of all books published are pure drek, entertaining drek to be sure, but drek nonetheless.

Dragonlance stuff, right? Probably harmless, but I've sat through too many 'thrilling' gaming stories to pay much attention to anything published by TSR/WotC. I only recall reading one of the DL books all the way through. Apparently it didn't inspire me to try any others in that series.

Yea the DL series.

Which of the "5%" do you like?

dreck
(dr
ebreve.gif
k)
n. Slang
Trash, especially inferior merchandise.
Just to help anybody out having the same confusion as me :p

Which of the "5%" do you like?

Been awhile since I've read any fantasy at all, even longer since any 'X of Y Trilogy' type stuff. I remember liking the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogies.

I didn't like The Martian, I didn't even finish it. I tried to watch the film and didn't like that either. I think I must be the only person in the world...:D

I think much of the hate you're refrring to may come from hard core Catholics.

... or from people who have the faintest ideas about the things he keeps writing about (case in point being "Digital Fortress", which I, with some knowledge of Information Technology hated not just for his bad writing, but also for his lack of any kind of comprehension of how IT works)

I liked the Martian.

Who had read Catch 22? I didn't like it. Then I went on Amazon and it was just full off glowing 5 star reviews.

I don't get all these comments about people trying to read a book and putting it down and getting bored and trying again. Just don't bother if you don't like it. If you aren't either a) enjoying it OR b) learning anything valuable, then why bother.

I didn't particularly like Wuthering Heights either. OK, I have just put The Tenant of Wildfell Hall onto my Kindle.

I love Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy is possibly my favourite author.

I don't get all these comments about people trying to read a book and putting it down and getting bored and trying again. Just don't bother if you don't like it. If you aren't either a) enjoying it OR b) learning anything valuable, then why bother.

Agreed! Life's too short to waste time like that.