Is a refrigerator a necessity?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan Newbie
NO. I do not have dairy and meats. I just figured that out when I looked at my empty refrigerator.

It a great for cooling off water and fruits. But, I do not need it anymore.

Nekodaiden

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
At one point I experimented with no fridge. I was still an omni at the time and I dehydrated meat and used powdered milk. Eventually I flipped it back on because I still wanted to keep some stuff longer and freeze other things.

As a vegan, I still use my fridge/freezer for stuff like:

Whole Grains and legumes that I soak overnight in batches then freeze for quick heating later.
Vegan ice cream I have on occasion.
Frozen goods like tater tots I either make or buy, frozen peas, fruit etc.
I don't know how to make broccoli last long without fridging it or freezing it.
I still like my beer cold.
Some sauces that I make or buy.
I both fridge and freeze flax gel which I use for shaving.

I could live without it, easier with just a freezer, but I still depend on both.

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I spent one winter without a fridge. I wasn't vegan at the time. and there was snow on the balcony. But I don't think i could do that again. It was a lot of trouble.

I think that was when I learned that beer goes flat if it freezes.

• Sad
Reactions: Ger

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
As a single person with a teenager, 90% of fruits and veggies would soil without one. So yeah, it's pretty much necessary. I could almost live without the range cuz I rarely use it, except to warm the house cuz my furnace is broken, lol 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ger

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I guess as a single person (without children), and living within walking distance of the market, I suppose I could do it. But it would be a lot of trouble. and thinking about it some more. I do a lot of bulk cooking. The extra servings need to go in the freezer.

And... right now my refrigerator and freezer are full up.

I could much easier give up the oven.

Reactions: TofuRobot

Jamie in Chile

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I think a single person living alone could try for a mini super eco-efficient fridge freezer. I don't think I'd like to live without one.

Forest Nymph

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I think if you can live without one, I applaud you. I think if I was not a student I would try this. Actually, if you own property, you can bury things or put them in a "cellar." My grandparents had a cellar, they stay pretty cold (I don't know about Arizona though. I'm talking West Virginia and a part of Northern California that is extremely similar to Medieval England in climate).

I can see a cellar working here. I chose a first floor bedroom in my townhouse (I basically live in an 80s house, it's HUGE, we have a garage and everything, and two floors) and my bedroom is either freezing or a breath of fresh air compared to the floor with the living room and kitchen. We're almost underground.

As a vegan, certain veggies will last longer, and left-overs will last longer in a refrigerator. If I owned my home and property, maybe I would bury things or have a cellar like my grandpa (I was exposed to all of this as a child in WV where my grandpa grew all our vegetables and made our grape jelly and my uncles shot our meat, etc.)

Cellars are pretty cool. Literally. Ha ha! I'm surprised you can even get one in the AZ desert.

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Oh. you know I do a lot of bulk cooking and then fill up little Tupperware containers with single servings. I suppose I could get into canning.
plus you know refrigerators are one of the biggest consumers of electricity. in my apartment its the biggest.