Is a refrigerator a necessity?

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
NO. I do not have dairy and meats. I just figured that out when I looked at my empty refrigerator.

It a great for cooling off water and fruits. But, I do not need it anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: KLS52
At one point I experimented with no fridge. I was still an omni at the time and I dehydrated meat and used powdered milk. Eventually I flipped it back on because I still wanted to keep some stuff longer and freeze other things.

As a vegan, I still use my fridge/freezer for stuff like:

Whole Grains and legumes that I soak overnight in batches then freeze for quick heating later.
Vegan ice cream I have on occasion.
Frozen goods like tater tots I either make or buy, frozen peas, fruit etc.
I don't know how to make broccoli last long without fridging it or freezing it.
I still like my beer cold.
Some sauces that I make or buy.
I both fridge and freeze flax gel which I use for shaving.

I could live without it, easier with just a freezer, but I still depend on both.

As a single person with a teenager, 90% of fruits and veggies would soil without one. So yeah, it's pretty much necessary. I could almost live without the range cuz I rarely use it, except to warm the house cuz my furnace is broken, lol ?

• Haha
Reactions: betiPT and Ger
I guess as a single person (without children), and living within walking distance of the market, I suppose I could do it. But it would be a lot of trouble. and thinking about it some more. I do a lot of bulk cooking. The extra servings need to go in the freezer.

And... right now my refrigerator and freezer are full up.

I could much easier give up the oven.

I think a single person living alone could try for a mini super eco-efficient fridge freezer. I don't think I'd like to live without one.

I think if you can live without one, I applaud you. I think if I was not a student I would try this. Actually, if you own property, you can bury things or put them in a "cellar." My grandparents had a cellar, they stay pretty cold (I don't know about Arizona though. I'm talking West Virginia and a part of Northern California that is extremely similar to Medieval England in climate).

I can see a cellar working here. I chose a first floor bedroom in my townhouse (I basically live in an 80s house, it's HUGE, we have a garage and everything, and two floors) and my bedroom is either freezing or a breath of fresh air compared to the floor with the living room and kitchen. We're almost underground.

As a vegan, certain veggies will last longer, and left-overs will last longer in a refrigerator. If I owned my home and property, maybe I would bury things or have a cellar like my grandpa (I was exposed to all of this as a child in WV where my grandpa grew all our vegetables and made our grape jelly and my uncles shot our meat, etc.)

Cellars are pretty cool. Literally. Ha ha! I'm surprised you can even get one in the AZ desert.

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh. you know I do a lot of bulk cooking and then fill up little Tupperware containers with single servings. I suppose I could get into canning.
plus you know refrigerators are one of the biggest consumers of electricity. in my apartment its the biggest.

Refrigerator plays a very crucial role in the kitchen as it allows us to preserve various foodstuffs under cold temperature. There are various perishable food items like fruits, milk, green vegetables, etc. that need a lower temperature in order to last for a longer period of time. The refrigeration system is one of the most important necessities during the warmer months of the year in order to serve cold water and beverages. Another benefit of a having refrigerator is that it slows down the growth of bacteria which is mostly present in the food.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Couldn't do without it for sure. Especially the freezer part as I buy a lot of frozen berries and vegetables. I buy sprouted breads and they would go bad if they were not frozen or refrigerated. Partial almond milk containers, all my hot sauces, mustards, ketchup, maple syrup, leftovers....

Emma JC

@Lou Thank you for voicing what most Americans think about Canada.

The sad part is that in the North that is usually the way it could be, this year the Far North was way way way too warm and anyone that is interested just google "heat wave arctic" and you will be shocked.

Interesting fact.... the southernmost point in Ontario is Point Pelee and it is the same latitude as Northern California. Our Niagara Penisula is one of the largest grape wine growing areas and the bonus is that because we do get freezing temps in the winter we are able to grow Ice Wines which are super sweet and imbibed all over the world.

I do love our cooler weather because, like you, I have a balcony and I use it extensively for cooling leftovers before putting in the fridge and when we had an off grid cottage the weather was perfect for keeping items cold and if/when we buy another country property then using cellars/ice from the pond etc will all be used!! :p

Emma JC

Hmm... Well we have a cellar, freezer and fridge, I won't have a cellar when I move out for sure (appartments don't have those, I can't afford a big house at my age and single) I definitely need a freezer and a fridge yeah, not as big as my parents' ones tho. But gotta keep my (opened) soy milks and yoghurts cool... Certain fruits and veggies you also gotta keep cool (like strawberries) especially when the weather is hot. Freezer I need for bread and substitutes. Also leftovers in case I prepared way too much, I can eat it the next day or freeze it for later... Gotta keep my vegan mayo cool as well. It's not just that I prefer certain foods cooled, they stay good for many more days that way too (less food waste, yay) like with bread, you gotta finish it within a few days well I can't obviously... I also don't like bread when it's old and dry, so I freeze it in and just take whatever I need for the day (I have my own bread, inb4 confusion)

I must be a weirdo here... Between me and my (vegan) flat mate our fridge and freezer are chocked full! Plant milks. Cubic feet of greens. Batch meals and left overs. Sauces. Tofu. Seitan. Whole wheat flour, instant yeast, maple syrup. Frozen bananas for nana ice cream. Frozen home made bread. Frozen berries... Next time I go shopping I should take some pics of it.

Whole wheat contains all of the lipids (oils) unlike white (refined) wheat. Whole wheat goes rancid quickly after opening if not kept cold and sealed. I keep my whole wheat flour bag in a large freezer bag, squeezed to evacuate as much air as possible, and stored at the back of the fridge. Even unopened bags go rancid rather quickly, and nothing is worse than rancid baked goods...

Whole wheat contains all of the lipids (oils) unlike white (refined) wheat. Whole wheat goes rancid quickly after opening if not kept cold and sealed. I keep my whole wheat flour bag in a large freezer bag, squeezed to evacuate as much air as possible, and stored at the back of the fridge. Even unopened bags go rancid rather quickly, and nothing is worse than rancid baked goods...

Thank you :heart:. This is something I'm going to look into, as I use a lot of whole wheat flour and never fridge or freeze it.

Reactions: SapphireLightning