How healthy is corn flour?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
How healthy is corn flour? Gives some different, mutually limiting information about it.

Can you eat this raw?

Many thanks for the link.

So it's not bad, but not that good either (compared to these other products). But actually it should at least be better than wheat flour type 405, 550 and such which I believe one should never eat, certainly some of the worst products at all.

Never think about corn flour, masa, outside of tortillas.
Can You Eat Raw Flours? The Best Raw Flours For Raw Baking - TCPK
Thank you very much for the link.

So one can eat corn flour raw obviously.

Surprisingly, it also says that you can eat chickpea flour raw (if I understand correctly). But that cannot be true (at least not without big restrictions), since chickpea flour I believe is made from dry chickpeas. And information like this is very common:

It is important to make sure the chickpea flour or gram is always well cooked before eating (both to get rid of the astringent aftertaste and to stop it giving you tummy ache - remember all legumes/pulses need to be well cooked!) and this also removes any bitter taste and gives you a nuttier flavour.01.02.2023
Maybe not such a trustworthy source, but just as an example.

But if that's not true (chickpea flour eatable raw), who knows what else (corn flour eatable raw) is wrong there.

I am not sure what you mean by 'raw' - why would you eat raw flour? as soon as you bake it in something it is no longer raw. Ground nuts or seeds are just that, ground and therefore not flour per se. I know there are people that don't bake desserts etc and using grounds nuts or seeds is great for that however wheat, corn and even chickpeas I would always bake in an oven. Have a recipe ready for some chickpea bread and may try it this weekend.

I know a lot of people don't 'cook' their oats they just them in overnight night oats, my body doesn't like that and so I at least microwave them too. If I make a flour from the oats I then bake them.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I am not sure what you mean by 'raw'
The condition in which it is delivered.

why would you eat raw flour?
Eatable raw flour, for example because the nutritions are kept (opposed to heating it that reduces them).

Ground nuts or seeds are just that, ground and therefore not flour per se.
Sorry, I do not understand, what can be derived/discovered from this? What should I take from this?

wheat, corn and even chickpeas I would always bake in an oven.
Yes, it is said that one should definitely do this with wheat / all purpose flour, (not canned) chickpeas (flour).

If I make a flour from the oats I then bake them.
So from rolled oats / oat flakes? Then why not bake them without grinding them?

because then it isn't flour :D
Yes, yes, correct, certainly, absolutely, you got that right. But why not bake it unground? Why does it have to be ground to make bread? It should also work unground.

why not just eat the corn raw?
Because it might be harmful. Like chickpea flour.

Many things are being called "flours" now. If it's a bean or a grain, they need to be cooked or sprouted to be edible, of course they need to be cooked if ground to flour.
Seeds--quinoa, flax. Nuts- almond and others (does coconut count as a nut?) can be used raw
Yes, yes, correct, certainly, absolutely, you got that right. But why not bake it unground? Why does it have to be ground to make bread? It should also work unground.
Because it might be harmful. Like chickpea flour.
Oats whole are groats, rolled and steamed are flakes, ground is flour. Bread is made with flour, you can of course add whatever else to it, but it is primarily made with flours.
There are many many types of corn, fresh corn is good to eat raw, but the kind used for flour is a dried corn

If it's a bean or a grain, they need to be cooked or sprouted to be edible, of course they need to be cooked if ground to flour.
And that probably results in a mush? I assume it's not eaten in this form, I could imagine it doesn't taste good as porridge, but rather processed further? What kind of meal does it make?

Oats whole are groats, rolled and steamed are flakes, ground is flour. Bread is made with flour, you can of course add whatever else to it, but it is primarily made with flours.
What is the advantage of grinding oat flakes instead of using them unground for a bread?

but the kind used for flour is a dried corn
OK, and that means it may not be eaten raw?

And that probably results in a mush? I assume it's not eaten in this form, I could imagine it doesn't taste good as porridge, but rather processed further? What kind of meal does it make?

What is the advantage of grinding oat flakes instead of using them unground for a bread?

OK, and that means it may not be eaten raw?
All I meant was if something needs to be cooked in their whole state, they need to be cooked if they are milled into flour

Flour is used in bread, not flakes

Can't say I know much about the many different varieties of corn. As far as i know, yes, corn meal, grits, masa, all should be cooked

OK, simply no flakes in bread.

Sorry for my confusion.

Many thanks!