Are Roasted Unsalted Peanuts healthy?

oh. you are right, I was thinking green peanuts = raw peanuts. but they are different. and I don't know why I thought they were poisonous,, they are not.

Peanut butter is a safe bet, but they add sugar and salt to it quite often
And you may never know how high the nuts were heated (also with roasted peanuts) during processing and thus lose nutrients. I think one can easily make peanut butter (like almond butter) yourself using a high-performance blender. Just put peanuts in a mixer and mix them, pause after some time to not to overheat them (over 42° C / 108° F) and go on until the desired consistency is achieved.

Also good with chocolate syrup.
I will try, thank you, maybe also with baking cocoa (chocolate syrup).

You can eat raw peanuts--don't taste good though.
www.medicalnewstoday.com
Peanuts: Nutrition, health benefits, and comparing types
Peanuts are a high-protein, nutrient-rich snack. Raw peanuts and peanut butter are especially good for a person's health. In this article, we look at the nutritional profile and benefits of peanuts.
www.medicalnewstoday.com www.medicalnewstoday.com

Great link, many thanks!

oh. you are right, I was thinking green peanuts = raw peanuts. but they are different. and I don't know why I thought they were poisonous,, they are not.
OK, thank you, that takes away my confusion.

I didn't read through all of the comments (yet).
I've been obsessed with lectins, lately, and their adverse affect on people with inflammation problems. And I know peanuts are not a nut. I buy unsalted roasted, in the shell, for the wildlife and occasionally I like to eat a few. But I've been limiting all beans/legumes and I have been feeling better. Could be mind over matter but they definitely affect my digestion which triggers my heart/rhythm issues if I eat them too many days in a row. Makes it difficult because beans/legumes used to be a big part of my diet. Now I have them maybe 2-3 times a week. 😞

I'll be back to read the rest of the thread. I like raw cashews and almonds but never see raw peanuts anywhere.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I buy unsalted roasted, in the shell, for the wildlife
Sorry, I don't fully understand. Roasted ones in the shell? To feed them to animals?

Reactions: KLS52
Sorry, I don't fully understand. Roasted ones in the shell? To feed them to animals?
Yes...roasted in the shell. I give them to the squirrels, chipmunks and birds. If there are any left over, the racoon, skunk, opossum and fox will eat them at night.

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Ah, OK, didn't expect / know peanuts could be roasted in / with the shell (I assume that does not work with other nuts). One then cracks the nuts after roasting (if you want to eat them yourself).

So quite a lot of animals that like peanuts. Thought squirrels only liked hazelnuts, but probably all kinds of nuts.

served at rustic bars and baseball games
But that's very practical, so there is no problem of the nuts becoming contaminated through contact with hands because the shell is still there.

Reactions: KLS52
But that's very practical, so there is no problem of the nuts becoming contaminated through contact with hands because the shell is still there.
Plus you don't have to worry about discarding the shell. you just throw it on the floor.
If you ever go that Hamburger chain - 5 Brothers or something like that - everyone gets a bowl of peanuts to eat while waiting for their order and the floor is literally covered with peanuts.

The one that I went to had the Best Beyond Meat Bratwurst.

oh and here is something cute.

Reactions: g0rph and KLS52
Never heard of that Five Guys chain, quite big, does not look vegan generally, I guess they have a few vegan products (like the Bratwurst) like Donald or Burger King. Good idea with the peanut bowl. If you wait too long, you might already be full of peanuts and do not need a not vegan Burger anymore.

Yes, the squirrel....or chipmunk is great!

Never heard of that Five Guys chain, quite big, does not look vegan generally, I guess they have a few vegan products (like the Bratwurst) like Donald or Burger King. Good idea with the peanut bowl. If you wait too long, you might already be full of peanuts and do not need a not vegan Burger anymore.

the local one closed up right after the lockdown - but the few times I went there before they lockdown - they had a few Beyond Meat items on the menu. And I had the fries, too. I thought they were pretty good.
The place wasn't crowded so the wait for the food wasn't too long. And when peanuts are still in the shell - it slows down your munching, too.

• Informative

There is one near me and they have the best fries I've ever had! It's been a couple years since I've been there- I had a pretty long wait (was getting for other too) and I did fill up on peanuts waiting! I did mind a bit :up:
They fry hand cut potatoes in peanut oil, and they overflow their containers in the bag. They also have malt vinegar, which I like.
Pretty expensive,, but now I'm craving them

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
in the happy coocincidence department - this just showed up in me email.
I haven't read all the answers yet but they all seem to be pretty good.

This wasn't the highest ranked answer but I thought it was the best. Although I still haven't read them all. the last two I read were either off topic or questionable.

--------------------
Sachin Navle
·
Follow
7mo

What are the benefits of eating soaked peanuts everyday?
Eating soaked peanuts can provide many benefits due to the changes that occur during the soaking process. Here are some potential benefits:

Enhanced Digestion: Soaking peanuts helps destroy nutrients like phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors, which can interfere with nutrient absorption and digestion. Soaking also increases the bioavailability of nutrients, making them easier to digest and absorb.

Improved Nutrient Absorption: Soaking peanuts can improve the bioavailability of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This can increase your body's ability to absorb these nutrients and make them more readily available for use.

Less Allergic Potential: Peanuts are known to be allergenic for some people. Soaking peanuts can help reduce their allergenic potential by removing or reducing certain proteins responsible for allergic reactions. However, if you have a known peanut allergy, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming soaked peanuts.

Reduced allergenic potential: Peanuts are known to be allergenic for some individuals. Soaking peanuts may help reduce their allergenic potential by removing or reducing certain proteins responsible for allergic reactions. However, if you have a known peanut allergy, it is crucial to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming soaked peanuts.
Easier to chew: Soaked peanuts become softer and more pliable, making them easier to chew, especially for individuals with dental problems or difficulty chewing hard foods.

Hydration: Soaked nuts can be high in water content, which can contribute to your daily hydration needs. This can be especially beneficial in hot weather or during physical activity when staying hydrated is essential.

While soaking peanuts can provide these benefits, it's important to note that peanuts are still relatively high in calories, so portion control is important, especially if you're watching your weight. Additionally, individual responses to soaked peanuts may vary, and it's always a good idea to listen to your body and consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian for personalized advice based on your specific needs.
------------------------------------

• Informative
I thought they were pretty good.

Yes, but not very nutritious, I am afraid. So it's probably more vegan junk food. But unfortunately (at least to me), "every" kind of young food tastes very good.

They fry hand cut potatoes in peanut oil, and they overflow their containers in the bag. They also have malt vinegar, which I like.
Pretty expensive,, but now I'm craving them
Hadn't expceted such a big chain would offer such. That actually does not sound like real junk food.

Many thanks for the link, intersting informatiions. That's about raw peanuts only, I assume.

Enhanced Digestion: Soaking peanuts helps destroy nutrients like phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors, which can interfere with nutrient absorption and digestion.
So it is the same with millet obviously.

Soaking also increases the bioavailability of nutrients, making them easier to digest and absorb.
And the same with many other seeds, nuts, if I am right. But it would be a shame about the lost crunchiness.

Hydration: Soaked nuts can be high in water content, which can contribute to your daily hydration needs. This can be especially beneficial in hot weather or during physical activity when staying hydrated is essential.
Strange, how much water should a peanut be able to hold for this to matter (if you eat a handful or even three or four times as much)?

Are roasted peanuts (without salt) healthy? For example such like these:

You definitely shouldn't eat peanuts raw because then they are harmful, right?
Correct, eating raw peanuts is not advisable as they may contain harmful substances. It's recommended to consume peanuts that have been properly processed through roasting or boiling to ensure they are safe for consumption.

Correct, eating raw peanuts is not advisable as they may contain harmful substances. It's recommended to consume peanuts that have been properly processed through roasting or boiling to ensure they are safe for consumption.
I think we already concluded raw peanuts are fine.

There was some confusion, maybe just on my part, about green peanuts. but it turns out they are fine too.

I ha
Ah, OK, didn't expect / know peanuts could be roasted in / with the shell (I assume that does not work with other nuts). One then cracks the nuts after roasting (if you want to eat them yourself).

So quite a lot of animals that like peanuts. Thought squirrels only liked hazelnuts, but probably all kinds of nuts.

i have got a hazelnut it it's shell i picked off a nut tree (or found below it) somewhere.
I brought it home with me specially to give to a squirrel as there are not many nut trees about. This hazelnut tree is on the canal towpath..

As far as anti-nutrients are concerned, I am not convinced they make any meaningful difference within a normal diet. We get so concerned about things that show up in laboratory studies and I don't think it's healthy.