Are Roasted Unsalted Peanuts healthy?

Are roasted peanuts (without salt) healthy? For example such like these:

You definitely shouldn't eat peanuts raw because then they are harmful, right?
You can eat peanuts raw. I used to buy them still in their shells - we called them monkey nuts. They are in fact legumes - the same family as beans, peas and lentils and are an excellent source of protein, calcium, fiber and various minerals but are a little high in fats, so take it easy with them.

So obviously I always read the wrong information. On a page of another website from a huge Group (Overview - Intersnack Group) dealing with peanuts / nuts, etc. it says:

By the way: Peanuts must be roasted before consumption. Botanically belonging to the legumes, they - just like beans or peas - contain harmful ingredients when raw, which are only edible in small quantities, but are destroyed when heated.

Very odd.

You can eat peanuts raw. I used to buy them still in their shells - we called them monkey nuts. They are in fact legumes - the same family as beans, peas and lentils and are an excellent source of protein, calcium, fiber and various minerals but are a little high in fats, so take it easy with them.

OK, but most or all of the other informations seem to say they are edible raw. I just remembered, as a child I must have actually eaten them raw because I remember the brown peanut shell / -skin (which apparently contains a lot of nutrients) that came with the peanuts.

Ah, great link, many thanks!

They have a high sodium content.
This refers to salted nuts only or do they contain much sodium (without addes salt)? Roasted peanuts are available with and without addes salt.

Best bet - just eat one handful of nuts per day
That's not so easy. When I eat peanuts I want to eat...far too many (obviously).

Sometimes there is an availability issue but if both raw and roasted are on the shelf I'll get roasted. I like the taste better. And one time I made myself sick when I ate a lot of raw nuts.

So because of one or more of the cons from the link information.

So obviously I always read the wrong information. On a page of another website from a huge Group (Overview - Intersnack Group) dealing with peanuts / nuts, etc. it says:

Very odd.
I tried to find some other web info that agreed with that. and couldn't find anything.
One thing that I found is that peanuts can be contaminated with aflatoxin. It can be very dangerous. but foods (including peanuts are screened for it). And as I mentioned already, roasted peanuts are more digestable.
OK, but most or all of the other informations seem to say they are edible raw. I just remembered, as a child I must have actually eaten them raw because I remember the brown peanut shell / -skin (which apparently contains a lot of nutrients) that came with the peanuts.

The other thing is that in some places (like farmer markets and farm stands) you can buy green peanuts. People who buy green peanuts like to boil them. I don't think they are good to eat until they are cooked. . Store bought peanuts are air dried or dry roasted.
This refers to salted nuts only or do they contain much sodium (without addes salt)? Roasted peanuts are available with and without added salt.
Roasted peanuts usually have some salt added. Check the ingredients.
That's not so easy. When I eat peanuts I want to eat...far too many (obviously).
Keep in mind that peanuts are "little fat bombs". 3 tbsp of peanuts contain 100 calories of fat.

Are roasted peanuts (without salt) healthy? For example such like these:

You definitely shouldn't eat peanuts raw because then they are harmful, right?
Hi, Why are RAW NUTS UNHEALTHY??.
I am vegan many years and believe RAW nuts are the healthiest, they last longer (roasted go rancid faster), I believe they digest better,
and I soak my raw nuts before eating them. Peanuts however do have some negatives. They (like corn) are high in aflatoxins because they often contain mold. They are also high in OMEGA 6 fats which are inflammatory, versus omega 3 fats which are healthier.
You can buy raw "jungle peanuts" which are sweeter and much lower in any aflatoxins. They are hard to find but I get them from matt-monarch. com
He also sells Jungle peanut butter....

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
I believe they digest better,

roasted peanuts are easier to digest
Peanuts however do have some negatives. They (like corn) are high in aflatoxins because they often contain mold.
They (and corn) only contain aflatoxin if they have been contaminated with mold. The USDA inspects peanuts and other things for mold and very few cases of aflatoxin poisoning are reported in the US.

They do contain a lot of fat. and that is why you need to limit them. I believe the recommendation is less that 4 tbsp a day.

Peanuts and peanut butter contain many vitamins, minerals, plant compounds, and antioxidants, and have numerous health benefits.

And in studies they did not contribute to weight gain.

The Global Burden of Disease Study, the largest analysis of risk factors for death and disease in history, calculated that not eating enough nuts and seeds was the third-leading dietary risk factor for death and disability in the world. Indeed, major studies have shown that people who eat nuts appear to suffer fewer deaths from cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease​

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
roasted peanuts are easier to digest

They (and corn) only contain aflatoxin if they have been contaminated with mold. The USDA inspects peanuts and other things for mold and very few cases of aflatoxin poisoning are reported in the US.

They do contain a lot of fat. and that is why you need to limit them. I believe the recommendation is less that 4 tbsp a day.

Peanuts and peanut butter contain many vitamins, minerals, plant compounds, and antioxidants, and have numerous health benefits.

And in studies they did not contribute to weight gain.

The Global Burden of Disease Study, the largest analysis of risk factors for death and disease in history, calculated that not eating enough nuts and seeds was the third-leading dietary risk factor for death and disability in the world. Indeed, major studies have shown that people who eat nuts appear to suffer fewer deaths from cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease​

Honestly, I do not think they can possibly test all batches of peanuts for mold, anymore than the USDA inspects every
single slaughterhouse or animal carcass. They only test a small percentage, at most.
There are amounts of contaminants allowed in foods. For instance, a certain amount of hairs or bug residue
are 'allowed' in each jar of peanut butter, etcetera. My guess is a certain amount of "alflatoxins" or mold is
also acceptable.
Few cases are "reported", that could also be said of a lot of other health problems.
Airlines no longer serve peanuts on board because so many humans are allergic. Peanuts, and nuts, are listed as one of the
top 10 allergens. There is a reason many peanuts are made into peanut butter, you cannot see what they looked like!. Wheras,
edible whole peanuts look much better visually.

Honestly, I do not think they can possibly test all batches of peanuts for mold, anymore than the USDA inspects every
single slaughterhouse or animal carcass. They only test a small percentage, at most.
in the US, I couldn't find any reports of people who died of aflatoxin poisoning. in the 2020s. It is an issue in developing countries. And there is still some concerns about pet food which aren't scrutinized as carefully. the main concern is that millions of dollars of corn are destroyed each year because of contamination .
There are amounts of contaminants allowed in foods. For instance, a certain amount of hairs or bug residue
are 'allowed' in each jar of peanut butter, etcetera. My guess is a certain amount of "alflatoxins" or mold is
also acceptable.
Yes. it's 20 PPB. That's like one drop of water in a swimming pool.
Few cases are "reported", that could also be said of a lot of other health problems.
not sure that is a valid statement.
Airlines no longer serve peanuts on board because so many humans are allergic. Peanuts, and nuts, are listed as one of the
top 10 allergens. There is a reason many peanuts are made into peanut butter, you cannot see what they looked like!. Wheras,
edible whole peanuts look much better visually.
That is a whole different issue. we don't stop eating peanuts because some people are allergic.
But yes allergic reactions to peanuts can be fatal. And probably very problematic on a plane.

That is a whole different issue. we don't stop eating peanuts because some people are allergic.
But yes allergic reactions to peanuts can be fatal. And probably very problematic on a plane.
I think @VeganRachel 's main point was not that this makes peanuts bad but simply that there are issues to think about
Peanuts however do have some negatives.
In this context I think it was appropriate to mention allergies.

I think @VeganRachel 's main point was not that this makes peanuts bad but simply that there are issues to think about

In this context I think it was appropriate to mention allergies.
EXACTLY. Being that peanuts are one of the TOP TEN allergies, that reminds us that there are many other nuts
and seeds as options; almonds, walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds,
and pumpkin seeds. AND, every one of those nuts or seeds are available in a "butter" form like peanut butter is.
in the US, I couldn't find any reports of people who died of aflatoxin poisoning. in the 2020s. It is an issue in developing countries. And there is still some concerns about pet food which aren't scrutinized as carefully. the main concern is that millions of dollars of corn are destroyed each year because of contamination .

Yes. it's 20 PPB. That's like one drop of water in a swimming pool.

not sure that is a valid statement.

A serioius allergy to anything can trigger a response. That is why airlines have replaced peanuts with almonds.
I love organic raw nuts, but also have enjoyed organic unsalted peanut butter, and, jungle peanut butter.
However, I also believe that new (peanut) allergies have surfaced in the past 20 years in part because PEANUT OIL
(and egg, dairy, shellfish, wheat, soy, nut) residues are knowingly used in vaccines (and not listed on labels) It is believed that
these 'additives' have created tons of new allergies in humans...
--In addition, commercial animal farms usually feed animals bakery residue, brewery waste, peanut hulls, soy meal, and even candy
as a part of their feed, so many humans eating animal products who are allergic to these substances, can have allergic reactions...

Here are some studies I found as well...
global contamination "limits" for peanuts residues...

Hi!

and I soak my raw nuts before eating them
Why? And for how long?

They are hard to find but I get them from matt-monarch. com
Many thanks. When I enter matt-monarch.com I am forwarded to Shop - The Raw Food World and when I type "peanuts" there in the search field only one product appears, this one: Organic Peanut Butter Powder.

oh, speaking of peanut butter powder....
I have bought it a few times.
I think its main attraction is that it has less fat.
but I like it in my smoothies when I'm looking for some more protein. although I suppose I could just use peanut butter instead, too.

one cup soy milk
2 tbsp peanut butter powder
and a banana

275 calories, 7 g fat, 16 g protein 7 g fiber.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hi!

Why? And for how long?

Many thanks. When I enter matt-monarch.com I am forwarded to Shop - The Raw Food World and when I type "peanuts" there in the search field only one product appears, this one: Organic Peanut Butter Powder.
I find raw peanuts in Asian groceries, and in the southern N American states they sell them raw in shell and get boiled

I known soaking nuts and seeds reduces the phytic acid and some believe makes them more nutritious and digestible

although I suppose I could just use peanut butter instead, too.
That might be a lot cheaper. Or maybe even shredded roasted peanuts.

Peanuts with banana, I will try it.

I find raw peanuts in Asian groceries
Ah, OK, there's one nearby, I'll take a look.

I known soaking nuts and seeds reduces the phytic acid and some believe makes them more nutritious and digestible
So the same effect as with seeds / buckwheat, etc. But then they are no longer crisp, I guess.

That might be a lot cheaper. Or maybe even shredded roasted peanuts.
Peanut butter is a safe bet, but they add sugar and salt to it quite often. the powdered peanut butter is just peanut butter minus the oil
Peanuts with banana, I will try it.
Also good with chocolate syrup.
Ah, OK, there's one nearby, I'll take a look.

Raw peanuts are green and poisonous if you don't boil them. Popular in the SE USA. Not sure why.

Peanut butter is a safe bet, but they add sugar and salt to it quite often. the powdered peanut butter is just peanut butter minus the oil

Also good with chocolate syrup.

Raw peanuts are green and poisonous if you don't boil them. Popular in the SE USA. Not sure why.
You can eat raw peanuts--don't taste good though.