How could I persuade my family to go vegan?

MoreGreens

Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I find that most people who are interested and dedicated to the idea don't need to be convinced.

Those that push back hard are unlikely to be convinced
I agree. Some people struggle with empathy, and they can't wrap their head around people being sensitive to the needs and concerns of animals. They dismiss those who are compassionate, because they haven't experienced the same insightful feelings.

It's easier to renounce someone else than wonder whether you're missing something within yourself. And, if those people are threatened by the notions of empathetic people, it's hardly a surprise that they'd continue to view animals as something that exist for their advantage and/or pleasure ... sometimes with increasing vehemence.

I grew up surrounded by farmers and hunters. None of them ever questioned if they had a right to make any of the choices they did for those animals. Heck, I got in trouble with my grandfather for talking to 'his' cows and petting them through the fence. He thought there was something wrong with me that I insisted the cows were smart and that they liked me talking to them. My extended family made fun of me for years for thinking I was a cow whisperer, and if given a chance, they'd make fun of me today. They're unchanged and I'm still the 'weird' one.

PTree15

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I agree. Some people struggle with empathy, and they can't wrap their head around people being sensitive to the needs and concerns of animals. They dismiss those who are compassionate, because they haven't experienced the same insightful feelings.

It's easier to renounce someone else than wonder whether you're missing something within yourself. And, if those people are threatened by the notions of empathetic people, it's hardly a surprise that they'd continue to view animals as something that exist for their advantage and/or pleasure ... sometimes with increasing vehemence.

I grew up surrounded by farmers and hunters. None of them ever questioned if they had a right to make any of the choices they did for those animals. Heck, I got in trouble with my grandfather for talking to 'his' cows and petting them through the fence. He thought there was something wrong with me that I insisted the cows were smart and that they liked me talking to them. My extended family made fun of me for years for thinking I was a cow whisperer, and if given a chance, they'd make fun of me today. They're unchanged and I'm still the 'weird' one.
This sounds like my family minus the farmer part. There are several hunters in my family, and they can't understand where I'm coming from at all.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
This sounds like my family minus the farmer part. There are several hunters in my family, and they can't understand where I'm coming from at all.
That must be awful for you. I have two friends and their brothers are also hunters. I must say that since I learned about it, I see them in a different light and don't respect them anymore.:rolleyes:

Someone told me the other day, that some people in his village slash the tires (hunters') of their cars. ;)

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC

PTree15

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
That must be awful for you. I have two friends and their brothers are also hunters. I must say that since I learned about it, I see them in a different light and don't respect them anymore.:rolleyes:

Someone told me the other day, that some people in his village slash the tires (hunters') of their cars. ;)
It's hard to reconcile, that's for sure.

• ✅
Reactions: shyvas