How could I persuade my family to go vegan?

I find that most people who are interested and dedicated to the idea don't need to be convinced.

Those that push back hard are unlikely to be convinced
I agree. Some people struggle with empathy, and they can't wrap their head around people being sensitive to the needs and concerns of animals. They dismiss those who are compassionate, because they haven't experienced the same insightful feelings.

It's easier to renounce someone else than wonder whether you're missing something within yourself. And, if those people are threatened by the notions of empathetic people, it's hardly a surprise that they'd continue to view animals as something that exist for their advantage and/or pleasure ... sometimes with increasing vehemence.

I grew up surrounded by farmers and hunters. None of them ever questioned if they had a right to make any of the choices they did for those animals. Heck, I got in trouble with my grandfather for talking to 'his' cows and petting them through the fence. He thought there was something wrong with me that I insisted the cows were smart and that they liked me talking to them. My extended family made fun of me for years for thinking I was a cow whisperer, and if given a chance, they'd make fun of me today. They're unchanged and I'm still the 'weird' one.

I agree. Some people struggle with empathy, and they can't wrap their head around people being sensitive to the needs and concerns of animals. They dismiss those who are compassionate, because they haven't experienced the same insightful feelings.

It's easier to renounce someone else than wonder whether you're missing something within yourself. And, if those people are threatened by the notions of empathetic people, it's hardly a surprise that they'd continue to view animals as something that exist for their advantage and/or pleasure ... sometimes with increasing vehemence.

I grew up surrounded by farmers and hunters. None of them ever questioned if they had a right to make any of the choices they did for those animals. Heck, I got in trouble with my grandfather for talking to 'his' cows and petting them through the fence. He thought there was something wrong with me that I insisted the cows were smart and that they liked me talking to them. My extended family made fun of me for years for thinking I was a cow whisperer, and if given a chance, they'd make fun of me today. They're unchanged and I'm still the 'weird' one.
This sounds like my family minus the farmer part. There are several hunters in my family, and they can't understand where I'm coming from at all.

This sounds like my family minus the farmer part. There are several hunters in my family, and they can't understand where I'm coming from at all.

That must be awful for you. I have two friends and their brothers are also hunters. I must say that since I learned about it, I see them in a different light and don't respect them anymore.:rolleyes:

Someone told me the other day, that some people in his village slash the tires (hunters') of their cars. ;)

Reactions: Emma JC
That must be awful for you. I have two friends and their brothers are also hunters. I must say that since I learned about it, I see them in a different light and don't respect them anymore.:rolleyes:

Someone told me the other day, that some people in his village slash the tires (hunters') of their cars. ;)
It's hard to reconcile, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
This is a tough one. I think a lot of people can relate to being the only vegan in one’s family. It’s really hard and hurtful when something we feel so passionate about is dismissed. Although I can’t advise you on how to turn your family vegan (being unsuccessful myself), I have found a few things helpful in coping with non-vegan family & friends.

1. Figure out your own boundaries, make them clear, and be consistent with them. For me, I draw the line at purchasing a non-vegan item (even if with someone else’s money) and preparing non-vegan food. For some, it’s to only share 100% plant based meals. Others choose to make their home a vegan space. Figure out what you’re comfortable with. For me and others, it was very helpful to have that consistency.

2. Accept that veganism is a choice and that you can’t make anyone go vegan. This is really hard because of course we want everyone to be vegan - especially those we love! It can be really hard to witness people we respect and care about choosing to support cruelty, with no desire to change. And yet, we must. It wasn’t my vegan sister to convinced me, but youtubers whom I didn’t know. Oftentimes, we’re more receptive to strangers than those closest to us. Your family may go vegan in time and they may never -and you have no power to control that, one way or the other. You do have power over your own actions, so you can be vegan everyday. You can choose to only participate in vegan meals and events. You can choose to volunteer for an animal sanctuary or protest or attend vigils or participate in street activism or start a vegan YT channel. There are so many ways, in addition to being vegan, to help the movement. But in the end, being vegan is a choice each person has to make for himself.

3. If you have the opportunity, perhaps try try to relate to your family why you choose to be vegan. Make it about you - don’t even talk about them. You might also say something along the lines of, “Listen, I know that being vegan is my choice for me and that I can’t make you be vegan - and I’m not going to try. But, it would really mean a lot to me if we could watch this film/video [select something that explains why people choose veganism - “Dominion,” Earthling Ed, and Bite Size Vegan are all good] together so that you might better understand why I made this choice. This isn’t a phase or something I’m trying out. This is an integral part of who I am, and your support would mean a lot to me.” If they refuse, that’s on them.

4. Like others have said, be the example. There are loads of angles from which to do this. You can become a vegan activist, showing how much this matters to you and bearing witness to those who doubt. You can cook yummy vegan food for your friends and family, showing that food can be delicious and cruelty free. You can take up a sport, showing that vegans can perform just as well as non-vegans, if not better. You can learn about the nutritional benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet, and how to apply them to your life, showing that vegans can have amazing blood work and live healthy lives. You can adopt an animal who might be considered food by some people, showing that animals are indeed friends - not food! Not knowing you, it’s hard to say what would apply best, but you get the idea. Show those around you that veganism is a great way to live and that it goes far deeper than, “What’s for dinner?”

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything to convince. People usually don't like being persuaded to do something, especially when it comes to eating habits. I think it will be best to show them videos, photos, articles with animal tenderness. From my own experience I know that it works more on people than scary videos of what happens in slaughterhouses - people know that, they just don't let this thought come to them. Maybe the moment you make parents aware that animals feel, love and suffer like we do - maybe it will convince them. Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed for it to succeed and perseverance!

Reactions: Emma JC