Hope for Vegans in Jesus

I

Instead of uninformed bigoted generalizations let’s look at the facts. For example, let’s consider the teachings of the founder of Christianity: John 8 BSB
I was speaking of the whole god thing....you know, the source
And why do you keep referring to 'ethnic groups?'

Instead of uninformed bigoted generalizations let’s look at the facts. For example, let’s consider the teachings of the founder of Christianity: John 8 BSB
Look at the actions of the Church over the last two millennia. Just off the top of my head, we got
  • the Crusades
  • the Inquisition
  • the bloody conflicts between different fractions
  • the Pope denying Holocaust
  • institutionalized homophobia
  • institutionalized subjugation of women
  • child molestation scandal and coverup
Those are facts too. Some of these are pretty recent, unlike the wise words of the founders. I can name similar things about pretty much every other major religion (in fairness, can't think of any major issues with Buddhism).

In short, we humans can pervert even the best ideas. So if you chose to pick an organized religion, be ready that it's been total **** at some point in history.

Speaking on experience.
Consider a possibility:
Look at the actions of the Church over the last two millennia. Just off the top of my head, we got
  • the Crusades
  • the Inquisition
Those are facts too. Some of these are pretty recent, unlike the wise words of the founders. I can name similar things about pretty much every other major religion (in fairness, can't think of any major issues with Buddhism).

In short, we humans can pervert even the best ideas. So if you chose to pick an organized religion, be ready that it's been total **** at some point in history.
So many myths about Christians! These myths are propagated by corporate nabobs like Harvey Weinstein.

Too bad some people are taken in.

Consider: Crusade Propaganda | National Review

Last edited:
  • the Crusades
  • the Inquisition

Let’s not forget the many crimes of anti-religious fanatics.

Reactions: Brian W
Too bad some people are taken in.
Well, considering that you are quoting some random sources, I'll quote the wikipedia on the topics that you are trying to refute. Pretty sure the good citizen of the Web have done research aplenty on the topic.

"The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated, supported, and sometimes directed by the Latin Church in the medieval period. The term refers especially to the Eastern Mediterranean campaigns in the period between 1096 and 1271 that had the objective of conquering the Holy Land from Islamic rule."
The emphasis is mine. It is a fact that these wars were wars of aggression fought on foreign territories - any hand-waving argument that these were, in fact, "preemptive strikes" do not diminish the loss of life that these wars caused. I am pretty sure Jesus and his crew would not have approved.

" According to modern estimates, around 150,000 were prosecuted for various offenses during the three-century duration of the Spanish Inquisition, out of which between 3,000 and 5,000 were executed (~2.7% of all cases).

The Inquisition was originally intended primarily to identify heretics among those who converted from Judaism and Islam to Catholicism. The regulation of the faith of newly converted Catholics was intensified after the royal decrees issued in 1492 and 1502 ordering Muslims and Jews to convert to Catholicism or leave Castile.[1] "
So it was a campaign to prevent people from practicing their religion. As a result, 150 thousand people were accused and about 3 in a hundred were killed. Again, I doubt Jesus would consider this activity as something consistent with his teachings, as I think he mostly suggested forgiveness.

"In 1941, Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna informed Pius of Jewish deportations in Vienna.[218] Later that year, when asked by French Marshal Philippe Pétain if the Vatican objected to antisemitic laws, Pius responded that the church condemned antisemitism, but would not comment on specific rules.[218] Similarly, when Philippe Pétain's regime adopted the "Jewish statutes", the Vichy ambassador to the Vatican, Léon Bérard (a French politician), was told that the legislation did not conflict with Catholic teachings.[219] Valerio Valeri, the nuncio to France, was "embarrassed" when he learned of this publicly from Pétain[220] and personally checked the information with Cardinal Secretary of State Maglione[221] who confirmed the Vatican's position.[222] In June 1942, Pius XII personally protested against the mass deportations of Jews from France, ordering the papal nuncio to protest to Pétain against "the inhuman arrests and deportations of Jews".[223] In September 1941, Pius XII objected to a Slovak Jewish Code,[224] which, unlike the earlier Vichy codes, prohibited intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews.[220] In October 1941, Harold Tittmann, a US delegate to the Vatican, asked the pope to condemn the atrocities against Jews; Pius replied that the Vatican wished to remain "neutral",[225] reiterating the neutrality policy which Pius invoked as early as September 1940.[219]"
Finally, here is some evidence on Pius during the war. As you can see, he did all he could to remain "neutral". Which, let's be honest, is pretty weak.

Also, I assume that priests molesting kids is fake news? :D

Let’s not forget the many crimes of anti-religious fanatics.
Did I somehow lead you to think that I like them? I am merely saying that both religious people and atheists have committed horrible atrocities in the name of their ideologies. Maybe instead everyone should stay away from any cults (i.e. save my money and time) and act ethically without brining an organized ideology into it?

• Agree
Reactions: Ahimsa and silva
Well, considering that you are quoting some random sources, I'll quote the wikipedia on the topics that you are trying to refute. Pretty sure the good citizen of the Web have done research aplenty on the topic.

"The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated, supported, and sometimes directed by the Latin Church in the medieval period. The term refers especially to the Eastern Mediterranean campaigns in the period between 1096 and 1271 that had the objective of conquering the Holy Land from Islamic rule."
The emphasis is mine. It is a fact that these wars were wars of aggression fought on foreign territories - any hand-waving argument that these were, in fact, "preemptive strikes" do not diminish the loss of life that these wars caused. I am pretty sure Jesus and his crew would not have approved.

" According to modern estimates, around 150,000 were prosecuted for various offenses during the three-century duration of the Spanish Inquisition, out of which between 3,000 and 5,000 were executed (~2.7% of all cases).

The Inquisition was originally intended primarily to identify heretics among those who converted from Judaism and Islam to Catholicism. The regulation of the faith of newly converted Catholics was intensified after the royal decrees issued in 1492 and 1502 ordering Muslims and Jews to convert to Catholicism or leave Castile.[1] "
So it was a campaign to prevent people from practicing their religion. As a result, 150 thousand people were accused and about 3 in a hundred were killed. Again, I doubt Jesus would consider this activity as something consistent with his teachings, as I think he mostly suggested forgiveness.

"In 1941, Cardinal Theodor Innitzer of Vienna informed Pius of Jewish deportations in Vienna.[218] Later that year, when asked by French Marshal Philippe Pétain if the Vatican objected to antisemitic laws, Pius responded that the church condemned antisemitism, but would not comment on specific rules.[218] Similarly, when Philippe Pétain's regime adopted the "Jewish statutes", the Vichy ambassador to the Vatican, Léon Bérard (a French politician), was told that the legislation did not conflict with Catholic teachings.[219] Valerio Valeri, the nuncio to France, was "embarrassed" when he learned of this publicly from Pétain[220] and personally checked the information with Cardinal Secretary of State Maglione[221] who confirmed the Vatican's position.[222] In June 1942, Pius XII personally protested against the mass deportations of Jews from France, ordering the papal nuncio to protest to Pétain against "the inhuman arrests and deportations of Jews".[223] In September 1941, Pius XII objected to a Slovak Jewish Code,[224] which, unlike the earlier Vichy codes, prohibited intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews.[220] In October 1941, Harold Tittmann, a US delegate to the Vatican, asked the pope to condemn the atrocities against Jews; Pius replied that the Vatican wished to remain "neutral",[225] reiterating the neutrality policy which Pius invoked as early as September 1940.[219]"
Finally, here is some evidence on Pius during the war. As you can see, he did all he could to remain "neutral". Which, let's be honest, is pretty weak.

Also, I assume that priests molesting kids is fake news? :D

Did I somehow lead you to think that I like them? I am merely saying that both religious people and atheists have committed horrible atrocities in the name of their ideologies. Maybe instead everyone should stay away from any cults (i.e. save my money and time) and act ethically without brining an organized ideology into it?
Not much to reply to here. I quoted serious historians and you quote Wikipedia. And when you quote Wikipedia you omit material that doesn’t buttress your prejudices. If you are going to attack a particular ethnic group at least try to be honest.

Did the Turks invade Asia Minor in the 11th century?

Check out:

Did Pius XII Remain Silent?

You feel we should avoid organized ideologies and instead embrace a confused, chaotic set of ideas?

Radical secularists also include the Young Turks, responsible for the Armenian Genocide, and proponents of the pseudoscience of eugenics.

And those Hollywood sickos are usually anti-religion: It’s Not Just Tarantino: Hollywood’s History of Defending Child Rapist Roman Polanski

Last edited:
Thank you dear reader for continuing this study with me! By continuing in faith in Jesus we will surely receive greater riches of wisdom and continue in everlasting life. Today our topic is the gospel which means good news. This is the good news of how we may receive eternal life! The life we may receive is to be spent with loved ones, friends, family members and animal companions!

Please read Genesis 1:26.

There is much to gain from this verse but for now let us note how it says "let us make man in our image". God uses the words "us" and "our" because the bible describes 3 aspects of God: the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Please read John 10:30.

Here Jesus claims plainly that he is one with the Father.

Please read John 8:58.

And here Jesus makes the claim that he existed before Abraham. Abraham is a man who lived around 1900 B.C.

Notice also that Jesus uses the phrase "I am".

Please read Exodus 3:13-14.

When Jesus uses the phrase "I am" he is using the same name God used for himself when speaking with Moses. So Jesus is again indicating that he is one with the Father.

Please read John 1:1-2.

In these verses from John we see that the "Word" was with God and was God.

Please read John 1:14-17.

This same Word which was God, was made flesh as Jesus Christ.

Please read John 1:3.

So according to this verse, all things were made by Jesus since he is the eternal Word which was God.

It was Christ that spread the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth. It was His hand that hung the worlds in space, and fashioned the flowers of the field. "His strength setteth fast the mountains." "The sea is His, and He made it." Psalm 65:6; 95:5. It was He that filled the earth with beauty, and the air with song. And upon all things in earth, and air, and sky, He wrote the message of the Father's love. DA 20.1

The earth as originally created was full of beautiful plants and animals many of which we've never seen before.

Please read Genesis 1:29-30.

In the beginning people and animals were given plants to eat. This is because there was no death nor hostility in God's unfallen creation. Plants were intended for food so they do not feel pain.

Please read Romans 5:12.

This verse explains that death entered the world after man sinned (or broke God's law of love). Since death entered by sin, there was no death before sin.

Try looking at the front cover of a bible. The first book of the bible is Genesis and it describes God's original, perfect creation which had no death nor suffering.

Now flip the bible over and look at the back cover. The last book of the Bible is Revelation and this describes how the fallen world we live in is created anew and death and suffering are permanently ended.

Please read Revelation 21:1-7.

In between these first and last books of the bible is the story of how mankind sinned, how death and suffering entered the world, and God's plan for salvation from this. The gospel is an essential part of God's plan of saving us from death.

Much of the bible is about the Hebrew nation of Israel where the Jews lived. Like most nations this nation had laws.

Please read Deuteronomy 24:16.

This law said that if a mature child broke the law, the child would be responsible and not the parent. Most national laws in the world today operate the same way. For example, if a 24 year old robs a store, he will be punished and not his father. He is held accountable for his own lawlessness.

In a similar way, God is not responsible when a person commits sin. God does everything possible so people may keep the law of love. Satan may tempt us to sin but not even the devil may force us to break God's law. When we transgress the law it is our own choice. If we resist the devil, he will flee from us (James 4:7).

Please read Isaiah 1:2.

God describes sin as rebellion against him.

Please read Exodus 20:1-17.

God's law of love is expressed as 10 commandments which God himself spoke to the people of Israel.

Please read 1 John 3:4.

Sin is defined as transgression or breaking of the law. The law is like a mirror, and we can compare our lives to the law to see if we have sinned.

Please read Matthew 5:21-22.

Jesus confirmed the 10 commandment law and also explained it. The law that says "thou shall not kill" means we should not physically harm people but it also means in our hearts we should not have any hateful feelings towards others. If one person does not touch another, but they think about hitting them or killing them, it is also a sin.

Please read Matthew 5:27-28.

Similarly, Jesus tells us adultery includes looking with lust. It's possible to break the commandment without ever touching another person.

Please read 1 Corinthians 7:1-2.

The word of God also tells us that fornication is when unmarried men and women touch in the way only married men and women are allowed to touch. So to keep the commandment "thou shall not commit adultery" we must remain abstinent before marriage.

We may compare ourselves to God's 10 commandment law. Have we ever hated someone, looked with lust, done fornication, illegally downloaded music or software (stealing), or been covetous of something? Are we innocent or guilty of breaking the law?

Please read Romans 3:23.

The bible states that all of us have sinned and broken at least one of the 10 commandments.

Please read Romans 6:23.

And according to the bible the wages of sin is death. We have all earned death because of our sins. When we look around we see people everywhere aging, becoming ill and dying. This is the effect of sin on the world.

We are all guilty of breaking the law, and if we don't want to die forever, then we need to be forgiven by God.

Please read Hebrews 4:15.

This verse confirms for us that Jesus alone never sinned. The wages of sin is death so only Jesus life given as a sinless sacrifice can reconcile us back to God.

Please read John 3:16-17.

This is why Jesus willingly died on the cross: so we may be forgiven. It was an expression of God's willingness to suffer our sins so we may have the opportunity to receive grace and forgiveness.

Please read Romans 10:9-10.

Since God has already provided the sacrifice, to be forgiven we just need to believe.

Please read Ephesians 2:8-9.

We are saved from death by God's grace, his mercy and forgiveness. We receive this grace because we have faith and believe in Jesus. We cannot somehow "work" to save ourselves. No amount of good deeds can erase the fact that we have sinned and caused harm and broke the law. We can only humbly request forgiveness from the judge and lawmaker, our creator.

Please read Mark 11:25-26.

Since God is willing to suffer to forgive us, we must also be willing to forgive others.

Please read John 15:12-14.

After being forgiven through faith in Christ people may become friends of God. What a wonderful feeling and experience!

Please read Matthew 7:1-5.

So before judging others for their sins, we ought instead forgive them and come to Jesus for forgiveness of our own sins.

Once forgiven and reconciled with God, we may see what he will have us do to help reduce suffering in the world. And we may await the day of his return after which all suffering and death will be no more. For with God all things are possible, but without him we may do no good thing.

Jesus is coming soon to forever end death and suffering - if you believe also then please also help share this wonderful and exciting news with others! Sharing the gospel with others may be as simple as sending a link or offering someone a book.

May God bless you with grace and peace!

With love,

Josef

Hmm. That post looks like it was copied and pasted. It’s just a general statement, not responding to anything in the thread.

Could this be spam?

Reactions: Mostly Random Dude
Hmm. That post looks like it was copied and pasted. It’s just a general statement, not responding to anything in the thread.

Could this be spam?
Hi, I just wrote the post for this thread because the whole topic is presenting the teachings of Jesus for vegans and answering vegan related questions people may ask me. Did you read my very first post to start this topic?

"In this thread I hope to present the teachings of Jesus from the bible and especially address questions which members of the vegan community may have"

Oh and when I wrote the post I also made it address the question of evil and theodicy which people were discussing in previous posts. It provides another answer from scripture.

Last edited:
Since it has been not uncommon for people to attempt to evaluate Christianity based on a supposed survey of people who profess Christianity, I am writing the following to help us use discernment and fair judgement in this matter.

Suppose 1,000 people truly follow Jesus. This group keeps the 10 commandments. Then the belief system becomes more popular and a second group of 1,000,000 people claim to also follow Jesus. However this second group is not truly converted at heart and they do not keep the 10 commandments. They could be called false converts.

Please read 1 John 2:3-6.

Please read Matthew 7:13-27.

Please read Matthew 5:20.

The description of two groups above is consistent with Jesus teaching in the bible. The scribes and Pharisees together were a majority religious group in Israel which claimed to be following the God of the bible however this same majority group rejected Jesus the Son of God and thus revealed they were not truly following God.

When a careless observer looks at the population of Christians to attempt to evaluate the religion, they may see only the larger group of 1,000,000 breaking the 10 commandments and conclude Christians are lawless and the religion is false. A watchful observer with discernment would be needed to see the smaller group of 1,000 because the larger group obscures it.

Now if 1,000 people are truly following Jesus and he truly is the Son of God, would adding 1,000,000 false converts mean the 1,000 are no longer legitimate? Please consider this. If there are 100 certified doctors then 1,000 false doctors with false credentials come along, does that mean the 100 are no longer legitimate certified doctors?

If we want God our judge to look on us with correct judgement then we must also use correct judgement when we evaluate others. How can we discern who is truly a Christian? Does wearing a cross necklace make someone a Christian? Does praying publicly make someone a Christian?

Please read John 3:3.

Jesus says a man must be born again to see the kingdom of God. How do we know if someone has been born again? We cannot tell by outward simple criteria such as how they dress or if they mark a certain box on a research survey. If someone has been born again their faith in Jesus will become manifest in every aspect of their life.

Are the pope, Martin Luther, the Ku Klux Klan and a criminal mafia boss who regularly attends mass all equally true disciples of Jesus?

Jesus himself set the example of Christian behavior when he walked this earth. So let us judge in these matters prayerfully and with right judgement.

Let us keep our eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith! Thank you for reading and may God bless you.

Josef

I am a Christian believer. Veganism is consistent with the perfect will of God. But Christians generally do not care for that.
All right, a vegan believer! Praise God. Me too, I'm a vegan believer. Yeah a diet of only plants matches the will of God. And some day that's what everyone's diet will be! Hopefully more people will become be vegan whether Christians or not. We can bring the message of Jesus to vegans and bring the message of plant based diets to those who already believe.. Our church has a lot of veg or vegan folks. We serve vegan food every week. Sometimes we have special events about plant based diets and natural health for community outreach as well as member outreach. If you're ever near Los Angeles you're welcome to visit! Same goes to anyone else on these forums. You can message me if you want.

Josef

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W and 1956
Since it has been not uncommon for people to attempt to evaluate Christianity based on a supposed survey of people who profess Christianity, I am writing the following to help us use discernment and fair judgement in this matter.

Suppose 1,000 people truly follow Jesus. This group keeps the 10 commandments. Then the belief system becomes more popular and a second group of 1,000,000 people claim to also follow Jesus. However this second group is not truly converted at heart and they do not keep the 10 commandments. They could be called false converts.

Please read 1 John 2:3-6.

Please read Matthew 7:13-27.

Please read Matthew 5:20.

The description of two groups above is consistent with Jesus teaching in the bible. The scribes and Pharisees together were a majority religious group in Israel which claimed to be following the God of the bible however this same majority group rejected Jesus the Son of God and thus revealed they were not truly following God.

When a careless observer looks at the population of Christians to attempt to evaluate the religion, they may see only the larger group of 1,000,000 breaking the 10 commandments and conclude Christians are lawless and the religion is false. A watchful observer with discernment would be needed to see the smaller group of 1,000 because the larger group obscures it.

Now if 1,000 people are truly following Jesus and he truly is the Son of God, would adding 1,000,000 false converts mean the 1,000 are no longer legitimate? Please consider this. If there are 100 certified doctors then 1,000 false doctors with false credentials come along, does that mean the 100 are no longer legitimate certified doctors?

If we want God our judge to look on us with correct judgement then we must also use correct judgement when we evaluate others. How can we discern who is truly a Christian? Does wearing a cross necklace make someone a Christian? Does praying publicly make someone a Christian?

Please read John 3:3.

Jesus says a man must be born again to see the kingdom of God. How do we know if someone has been born again? We cannot tell by outward simple criteria such as how they dress or if they mark a certain box on a research survey. If someone has been born again their faith in Jesus will become manifest in every aspect of their life.

Are the pope, Martin Luther, the Ku Klux Klan and a criminal mafia boss who regularly attends mass all equally true disciples of Jesus?

Jesus himself set the example of Christian behavior when he walked this earth. So let us judge in these matters prayerfully and with right judgement.

Let us keep our eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith! Thank you for reading and may God bless you.

Josef
Preaching Christianity is fine.

However, it’s not ok to claim that those who don’t follow Jesus are not following God, as you stated above. This forum accepts people of all faiths. If you would like to continue to preach here, please bear this in mind.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
Preaching Christianity is fine.

However, it’s not ok to claim that those who don’t follow Jesus are not following God, as you stated above. This forum accepts people of all faiths. If you would like to continue to preach here, please bear this in mind.
If allowing to preach Christianity, ....how can you draw the line at his interpretation of it saying that it is not okay? Most religions are cults of mainstream Christianity which could be considered a cult from Judaism I believe and not really sure where it falls with the Islamic Muslim belief. So his interpretation of Christianity is his personal religion and he should be allowed to state it as freely as someone quoting mainstream Christianity would be.
Now I am not a religious person at all and so not saying he is right - I am rather anti organized religion personally and if God exists I have a few choice words for him/her. However if you allow the preaching of any religions, you have to allow preaching of them all and all variations and interpretations of them all.

I poked my head in out of curiosity and not being of his faith, I'll leave. A thread to talk to like believers doesn't hurt anyone since no one is forced to read his posts or confirm to his religion.

If allowing to preach Christianity, ....how can you draw the line at his interpretation of it saying that it is not okay? Most religions are cults of mainstream Christianity which could be considered a cult from Judaism I believe and not really sure where it falls with the Islamic Muslim belief. So his interpretation of Christianity is his personal religion and he should be allowed to state it as freely as someone quoting mainstream Christianity would be.
Now I am not a religious person at all and so not saying he is right - I am rather anti organized religion personally and if God exists I have a few choice words for him/her. However if you allow the preaching of any religions, you have to allow preaching of them all and all variations and interpretations of them all.

I poked my head in out of curiosity and not being of his faith, I'll leave. A thread to talk to like believers doesn't hurt anyone since no one is forced to read his posts or confirm to his religion.
He is telling non Christians (therefore including Muslims and Jews) that they are not following God. That kind of discrimination doesn’t belong on this forum.

He is telling non Christians (therefore including Muslims and Jews) that they are not following God. That kind of discrimination doesn’t belong on this forum.
According to him on his thread they are not which is his valid opinion. Either allow him or no religion.....but does that include all philosophies? Are we going to start shunning people that are vegan but eat honey cause not our opinion?

I don't agree with him but leave him a thread. IF he starts insulting people's beliefs and lifestyles on other threads in this manner, take action. This is a thread he started.

• Agree
Any possibility that a Catholic source attacking Harvey Weinstein for producing what they view as several anti-Catholic films could be just a smidge anti-Semitic? This would be consistent with the history of the RCC.

According to him on his thread they are not which is his valid opinion. Either allow him or no religion.....but does that include all philosophies? Are we going to start shunning people that are vegan but eat honey cause not our opinion?

I don't agree with him but leave him a thread. IF he starts insulting people's beliefs and lifestyles on other threads in this manner, take action. This is a thread he started.
Not OK on this forum: Shunning people who are vegan but eat honey.

Also not OK on this forum: Shunning people who don't follow Jesus.

Reactions: Mostly Random Dude