EU Homemade B12 vitamin possible?

It is remarkably yummy. I keep a container on the counter. It goes into just about everything. Morning cheesy grits, sprinkled like parmesan on salads and pasta, throw it into soups, sprinkled on black bean burgers, on popcorn.

It isn't hard to manage it 3 times a day.
Oh. OK.

Cyanocobalimin has poor bioavailability unlike other B12 forms. Methylcobalamin is considered to be most absorbable and cheapest B12 form. Not sure about stability, but maybe storage in freezer or vacuum can prolong it's shelf life? I'm curious where clam themselves get B12.

Soil is rich source of B12, especially with manure:

Avalon, since you are in Lithuania, I don't know what you can buy locally or get online. In the U.S. I can get cyanocobalamin very cheaply. I can also buy betaine powder online. Betaine is also known as trimethylglycine, abbreviated as TMG. For people who have trouble using the cobalamin in the non-methylated form of cyanocobalamin, trimethylglycine may help support the body's methylation process. I think I also read someone feeling concerned about cyanide. Cyanide can be found in trace amounts in almonds. There is also cyanide in a kind of edible spurge grown in hot tropical areas where it is hard to grow other green vegetables. People who use this plant know that they need to cook it in boiling water and discard the water, and consume no more than 5 leaves per day per adult. My point is that our bodies can deal with small quantities of cyanide. **** Going without sufficient B12 is a greater danger to your nervous system and overall health than a small daily amount of cyanide. **** There are some toxins that can do great harm in very small quantities, but other substances which are dangerous in large amounts are harmless or even necessary in minute quantities -- for example iodine, boron, manganese or lithium.

On the other hand, going without B12 for too long can lead to anemia (your body makes red blood cells that are not so healthy, so your blood doesn't get the optimum amount of oxygen to your brain and other organs, eventually making you feel irritable about stuff, and weaker in body). Longer term lack of B12 can lead to permanent nerve damage. Please don't play with this!
Is it true that many people survived in the past with less B12? Yes sure. Our bodies can adjust to less than optimal conditions to survive. Our ancestors survived with a lot of dietary and material deprevations. Enough people survived, but many did not have optimal health. Even people today survive without enough protein or other nutrients, but they are weak and their children often suffer permanent mental and physical handicaps or even die, since their little growing bodies have greater needs.
Cyanocobalamin is the form of cobalamin that comes from commercial- scale fermentation of bacteria. It is our modern answer to making certain we can get enough B12 from bacterial fermentation, instead of relying on hit or miss taking our chances with getting enough from animal products.

Is methylcobalamin cheaper where you are than cyanocobalamin? If the only cobalamin you can get is expensive, maybe you can stretch it out by taking the smallest amount you can measure out, a few times per day. If it is a tablet you can split it or even bite off a small piece. If it is a capsule you can sprinkle out a small amount.
Can you get a multivitamin with some form of cobalamin? You want to make sure you are getting plenty of all your nutrients.
Please take care of yourself and keep us updated on your journey. :)

This is disturbing. The same nutrition data website (www.myfooddata.com) is referenced both by your article and by my post, yet that website reports completely different vitamin B12 data for 3 ounces of clams. The myfooddata.com website says that 3 ounces of raw clams contain 400% DV of vitamin B12, but that 3 ounces of cooked clams contain 3502% DV of vitamin B12. A very serious error by that website. How can cooked clams contain 8 times more vitamin B12 than raw clams? Vitamin B12 is not created during the cooking process. I will inform the myfooddata.com website of their error. This error is, of course, academic to us vegans.

Update: The error in is the USDA's nutrition database, which is referenced by the myfooddata.com website. I've contacted the USDA ARS about the error.
and?

Avalon, since you are in Lithuania, I don't know what you can buy locally or get online. In the U.S. I can get cyanocobalamin very cheaply. I can also buy betaine powder online. Betaine is also known as trimethylglycine, abbreviated as TMG. For people who have trouble using the cobalamin in the non-methylated form of cyanocobalamin, trimethylglycine may help support the body's methylation process. I think I also read someone feeling concerned about cyanide. Cyanide can be found in trace amounts in almonds. There is also cyanide in a kind of edible spurge grown in hot tropical areas where it is hard to grow other green vegetables. People who use this plant know that they need to cook it in boiling water and discard the water, and consume no more than 5 leaves per day per adult. My point is that our bodies can deal with small quantities of cyanide. **** Going without sufficient B12 is a greater danger to your nervous system and overall health than a small daily amount of cyanide. **** There are some toxins that can do great harm in very small quantities, but other substances which are dangerous in large amounts are harmless or even necessary in minute quantities -- for example iodine, boron, manganese or lithium.

On the other hand, going without B12 for too long can lead to anemia (your body makes red blood cells that are not so healthy, so your blood doesn't get the optimum amount of oxygen to your brain and other organs, eventually making you feel irritable about stuff, and weaker in body). Longer term lack of B12 can lead to permanent nerve damage. Please don't play with this!
Is it true that many people survived in the past with less B12? Yes sure. Our bodies can adjust to less than optimal conditions to survive. Our ancestors survived with a lot of dietary and material deprevations. Enough people survived, but many did not have optimal health. Even people today survive without enough protein or other nutrients, but they are weak and their children often suffer permanent mental and physical handicaps or even die, since their little growing bodies have greater needs.
Cyanocobalamin is the form of cobalamin that comes from commercial- scale fermentation of bacteria. It is our modern answer to making certain we can get enough B12 from bacterial fermentation, instead of relying on hit or miss taking our chances with getting enough from animal products.

Is methylcobalamin cheaper where you are than cyanocobalamin? If the only cobalamin you can get is expensive, maybe you can stretch it out by taking the smallest amount you can measure out, a few times per day. If it is a tablet you can split it or even bite off a small piece. If it is a capsule you can sprinkle out a small amount.
Can you get a multivitamin with some form of cobalamin? You want to make sure you are getting plenty of all your nutrients.
Please take care of yourself and keep us updated on your journey. :)
You bring up good points! Dr Greger, for example, suggests cyanocobalimin (unless you have the MFTHR gene thing) because research shows how unstable Methylcobalimin is- you don't get what the bottle indicates
A very small amount daily - but a much larger dose if taken less often. 50 mcg daily, or 2000 mcg for adults under 65.

You can get b12 from manure, or fouled stream water. It's actually formulated in the lower intestines, so not actually available without eating @@@@. Our ancestors would have not had the problem as we do in our sanitary world!

Nutritional yeast is a common way vegans like to get daily doses, but it has to be fortified-- so no different than taking a supplement. I personally prefer nutritional yeast unfortified, tastes better, but I take a weekly dose of b12. Animals raised as meat are now fed B12, so even they don't get it from nature

Reactions: Lou
Apes get their B12 from eating insects. chimps with their ant fishing and gorillas by finding grubs. Probably the same for out ancestors.

Some biologists think that apes in captivity deprived of insects resort to eating their own feces which contain B12. the b12 formed in the lower intestines is not available for absorption until the second go round.

Also interesting habits who are herbivores with a simple GI tract eat their own feces all the time. probably to get the necessary B12.

Cyanocobalimin has poor bioavailability unlike other B12 forms. Methylcobalamin is considered to be most absorbable and cheapest B12 form. Not sure about stability, but maybe storage in freezer or vacuum can prolong it's shelf life? I'm curious where clam themselves get B12.

Ink
Cobalamin occurs in a few different forms in nature, and cyanocobalamin is one of those forms. I found an article at this link:

The commercially available cyanocobalamin is manufactured by growing bacteria that yeild cyanocobalamin. We humans have merely harnessed what nature already provided.

Are you worried about the cyanide in cyanocobalamin? Almonds also have trace amounts of cyanide. Our bodies can deal with small amounts of cyanide. There is even a type of edible spurge grown for food in hot tropical climates where it is hard to grow other green vegetables. People who eat it boil it and discard the cooking water to get rid of the cyanide, and an adult should eat no more than 5 leaves per day.

Are you concerned about how well your body can use the cobalamin? Some people may not methylate their folate and b12 as well, and something that can help with that is a supplement called betaine, also known as trimethylglycine or abbreviated as TMG. It is called betaine because it was first discovered in sugar beets but it occurs in other foods. It can help lower homocysteine levels, partly by helping your body make better use of folate and cobalamin.

Are b12 supplements too expensive in Lithuania? Even a little bit is better than none. Could you buy what you can afford, and split the tablets or dose out small amounts by opening the capsules? Without enough b12 you can develop anemia, in other words your red blood cells are not healthy enough to get an optimum amount of oxygen to your brain and other organs. Then lots of things feel annoying and irritate you more, and even though you don't have symptoms, you are less healthy and energetic than you could be. Could you get a multivitamin with b12 in it? You want to be sure you are getting plenty of all your nutrients. Go too long without b12 and you can start to do undetected damage to your nervous system, including your spinal cord. That is a greater danger than ingesting a small amount of cyanide daily.