Help...wholegrain risen bread is ever allusive...

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I need an easy recipe for

Wholegrain (risen) bread. The grain itself doesn't matter. I have plenty of corn, barley, wheat, oats, lentils etc to make it from. I regularly buy what is called "whole grain" at the supermarket, but almost none of the options are actually wholegrain, usually ranging from 50-75% and the balance white flour.

In the past, I have made a true wholegrain, 100% flat bread from barley. I found this to very very satisfying. However as of now, I just keep failing at making my own risen 100% whole grain bread.

If anyone has a recipe that is simple and easy and works all the time that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sort of disappointed this has not been answered.

Does not a soul here make there own 100% wholegrain bread? Maybe most live in countries where you can get it, but it's crap here in Aussieland. I love my bread, and no, a true wholegrain is not available by any grocer or baker that I'm aware of. Yes, the packets say "wholegrain" or "wholemeal" but the most I can find is 67-70%. I actually went and asked someone at Baker's Delight yesterday and she checked their ingredients for "wholegrain" and it was only 49%!! She then recommended a "specialty" bread shop.

Now I've recently got a book on how to make different breads (including true whole grain), but I'd still like to hear from anyone who makes it.

Grains or flour, preferably soaked overnight (as in sprouting, or just soaking for flour).

Anyone? Please only answer if you have regular success with it personally. Not interested in something someone just googled and posted here, thanks.

Hello! I missed this the first time you posted. I always make my own bread, using whole wheat flour. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I'd be glad to try and help answer any questions you have. However, I live in the United States so my access to flours is different from yours. I live in Portland, Oregon and use Bob's Red Mill pretty much exclusively. As far as sprouted grains go, I recently got Peter Reinhart's Bread Revolution which deals with sprouting your own grains and milling your own flour as well as baking. I haven't yet baked with it though.

I will post this whole wheat recipe I've been using for years. However, I will post this as a separate recipe and link to it, so others can find it easier.

My whole wheat bread recipe: https://veganforum.org/threads/whole-wheat-bread-recipe.2866/

Oh, and also, this simple flatbread recipe (below) works amazingly well. I've made this many times for guests. Like the guy in the video says, it is impressive making bread before your guests eyes. It makes you look like a pro, regardless of your kitchen skills. I often use this for hummus, instead of pita bread, along with a platter of fresh veggies.

Edit: Sorry about the meat on the bread at the end of the video, but the bread recipe is superb, nonetheless...and 100% vegan!

Last edited:
I have made bread occasionally and used a recipe similar to above.
Simple, quick, tasty and you could use it as a pizza crust also.

Emma JC

Reactions: Veganite
Thanks for the replies, ya'll.

I will likely have another go at making some bread this weekend, and will keep Veganite's recipe and video in mind.

It may seem confusing, but I am unsure what to trust on Aussie bread labels. I have been told that when "wholegrain" is listed followed by a percent, ie: wholegrain wheat flour (60%), water, yeast etc - then this percent represents the total grain bill for the grain (in this case, wholegrain wheat) in the final product. However, often Thiamin and Niacin and iron are added, which makes me wonder if the wholegrain percentage doesn't just refer to the amount of whole grain in the flour itself (for example: 60% wholegrain, 40% white flour). I have actually contacted the grains council in Australia but am still unsure as to the reasoning behind adding Thiamin and other vitamins and minerals to a bread product if the actual whole grain is used, and not just a percentage of it which I have always suspected when such labeling is used.

Anyway, will have another go this weekend likely.

Also, I do appreciate the responses, however I'm still looking at making wholegrain risen bread, starting from the seed and (crossed fingers), sprouted kind.