5. Brain fog
  6. Joint pain
  7. Neuropathy
  8. Fatigue
  9. Abdominal Pain
  10. Skin Problems
  11. Depression
  12. Anemia

I went gluten free (no wheat, barley or rye) about 3 weeks ago and a bunch of symptoms from the above list went away, so I am never going to eat those grains again. Some doctors and nutritionists out there believe that when gluten causes severe digestive problems it's called Celiac disease and when it causes other issues it is misdiagnosed or goes undiagnosed, and that no one on the planet should eat those three grains. All of these other grains are fine though:

Amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus)

Barley (Hordeum vulgare)

Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum)

Bulgur (Triticum ssp.)

Corn (Zea mays mays)

Einkorn (Triticum monococcum L)

Farro / Emmer (Triticum turgidum dicoccum)

Fonio (see Millet)

Freekeh (Triticum turgidum var. durum)

Kamut® Khorasan Grain (triticum turgidum turanicum)

Kañiwa (Chenopodium pallidicaule)

Millet (Panicum miliaceum, Pennisetum Glaucum, Setaria italica, eleusine coracana, digitaria exilis)

Oats (Avena sativa)

Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa)

Rice (Oryza sativa)

Rye (Secale cereale)

Sorghum / Milo (Sorghum spp.)

Spelt (Triticum aestivum spelta)

Teff (Eragrostis tef)

Triticale (x triticosecale rimpaui)

Wheat (Triticum aestivum; Triticum turgidum)

Wild Rice (Zizania spp.)

Edit:. Okay not ALL the other grains but a lot:

"Grain products that are not gluten-free include any type of wheat (including farina, graham flour, semolina and durum), barley, rye, bulgur, kamut, matzo meal, spelt, triticale, couscous, emmer and einkorn. These should be avoided."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
IMHO, the issue is that those symptoms are pretty common among lots of humans. And many (if not all) of the symptoms can be caused by other things.

Food companies are marketing gluten free as health food. the news media are covering gluten sensitivity like its a pandemic. "Internet Practitioners" are making out that gluten is the bogey man.

There was this one study that sticks out in my mind but the google machine is not helping me find it and it doesn't appear that I had the forethought to bookmark it. But it was a small study and they just rounded up random people and asked them if they thought they were gluten sensitive. Then they tested them. I don't remember the percentages but it was a significant portion of the people who said they weren't - were. And a significant portion who said they were - weren't.

Although I think that if not eating gluten makes you feel better - than don't eat gluten. However I think you should make the decision to not eat gluten with all the facts. The issue is so clouded with hype, misinformation, and promotion.

And besides, I LIKE products that contain wheat.

While I was seaching for that article I found a whole bunch of similar ones so I just copy and pasted them them here. I at least skimmed all of them. and I've included some of the best parts.

-----

Eighty six percent of patients reporting gluten-related symptoms have neither NCGS, nor CD, nor WA. Self-perceived gluten-related symptoms are rarely indicative of the presence of NCGS.​
NCGS.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26043918/

The results were pretty shocking. They concluded that gluten couldn’t have caused any of the negative symptoms the subjects were suffering from.​

people should see a gastroenterologist for definitive tests before going gluten-free.​

See your doctor for a gluten challenge​

93 percent of individuals who believe they are gluten-sensitive can tolerate it.

the researchers believe their findings suggest that people should be actively discouraged from starting on a gluten-free diet if they have not been diagnosed with either celiac disease or NCGS.​

Oats are only safe for some people with gluten issues to eat.

Oats are stored in the same silos as wheat. They are contaminated with wheat gluten.

You can buy oats from Bob's Redmill where it is guaranteed to have been stored in wheat free facilities. Warning, it is much more expensive.

People, please do not self diagnose.

Aside from doing unnecessary things you may miss treating the real issue and causing yourself harm.

Finding out medically, if you have Celiac disease or just a gluten sensitivity can both be done with a simple blood test.

For the latter, find a functional medicine MD and ask for a food sensitivity test that tests against all 4 antibodies.

Oats are only safe for some people with gluten issues to eat.

Oats are stored in the same silos as wheat. They are contaminated with wheat gluten.

You can buy oats from Bob's Redmill where it is guaranteed to have been stored in wheat free facilities. Warning, it is much more expensive.

I'm not so sure about the silos. but your point is correct. Oats are generally processed in the same facilities that process wheat. However the amount of contamination is very small and ever people diagnosed with Celiac's disease can tolerate the tiny amount of gluten found in regular oats.

Also. Bob's Redmill does make a big deal about their oats being Really gluten free. They even test for it.

They are more expensive than bargain basement oats but organic oats are really the ones to buy and the price of organic oats is just a little lower than Bob's.

People, please do not self diagnose.

Aside from doing unnecessary things you may miss treating the real issue and causing yourself harm.

Finding out medically, if you have Celiac disease or just a gluten sensitivity can both be done with a simple blood test.

For the latter, find a functional medicine MD and ask for a food sensitivity test that tests against all 4 antibodies.

I'm not sure about the blood test being "simple". That VeryWellHeath article does a good job of breaking it down.

but your first point is very spot on. Testing is maybe the first step. Also going gluten free before testing can make the test results unreliable. but yeah if there is a problem go see a doctor.

You find a functional medicine MD who gives the food sensitivity test. All you need to do is get blood drawn. Simple.
Getting a gluten sensitivity diagnosis isn't a straightforward process. Medical research lends support to the idea that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real condition, but there are physicians who do not believe in its existence.1​
Furthermore, there is no consensus on how to test for gluten sensitivity or what results of tests used by some when working toward a diagnosis actually mean.​

Some doctors and nutritionists out there believe that when gluten causes severe digestive problems it's called Celiac disease and when it causes other issues it is misdiagnosed or goes undiagnosed, and that no one on the planet should eat those three grains gluten.

^I got that from this Ted Talk:

^I got that from this Ted Talk:

did you read the description?

NOTE FROM TED: Please do not look to this talk for medical advice. We've flagged this talk, which was filmed at a TEDx event, because it appears to fall outside TEDx's content guidelines. The speaker makes strong assertions about a specific diet that lack sufficient scientific evidence for general prescription. TEDx events are independently organized by volunteers. The guidelines we give TEDx organizers are described in more detail here: http://storage.ted.com/tedx/manuals/t...

did you read the description?

NOTE FROM TED: Please do not look to this talk for medical advice. We've flagged this talk, which was filmed at a TEDx event, because it appears to fall outside TEDx's content guidelines. The speaker makes strong assertions about a specific diet that lack sufficient scientific evidence for general prescription. TEDx events are independently organized by volunteers. The guidelines we give TEDx organizers are described in more detail here: http://storage.ted.com/tedx/manuals/t...
I had not previously read that disclaimer but was aware this seems to be a fringe rather than mainstream idea in the field.

EDIT: I was trying to indicate it's a fringe idea by saying '"some' doctors and nutritionists" in the OP. I should have put italics on some. That would have made it a little clearer. For entertainment only! Ted Talks is very much in line with mainstream science on every topic and they have banned some talks that I think they shouldn't have because they are about things I believe in, but mainstream science doesn't.

Last edited:
I think they shouldn't have because they are about things I believe in, but mainstream science doesn't.
Like the vegan diet is good for you?

Just about the time I became vegan I read a book. I'll have to try and figure out its name. I think it was even made into a movie.. but I never saw the movie. Will require some googling cause I can't remember if it was a library book - and even it if was it might not be from my current library plus my reading history is very long and not searchable.

Anyway.... the author who I think was a professional historian and in good standing, his thesis was that Wheat was the root cause of everything wrong in civilization. Of course you could make that argument about agriculture in general but he made it for wheat specifically.

then there was the whole gluten thing, and the carbs thing, and the wheat belly thing. It had me off grains for a while. Then I read Fuhrman, who states that Grains Are Good (in moderation). since I love bagels, pizza, pasta, oatmeal, sandwiches. I was very happy to hear this. I follow Furhman's (and Gregar's) advice and keep my grains under 3 servings a day.