Hello to friends old and new....

angie54321

Forum Novice
Reaction score
I'm another member from VB, who knew little about the kerfuffle and skirmishes on that forum because I'd stopped reading or posting for a while - so thanks to Indian Summer for letting me know about this forum.

For those that don't know me, I'm a 50 yr old female and I've been a vegetarian for 32 years, raised 3 veggie children (who are now vegetarian adults), and introduced my parents and husband to the wonders of a compassionate vegetarian lifestyle.

Although I call myself a vegetarian, I eat a 99+% vegan diet, so I view myself as 'veganish' or 'plant-powered' :)

:welcome: How wonderful to have bought up your children into a 'veggie world' !

I also am a vegetarian but mostly eat 90 % vegan meals. The only reason is that there is a limited choice of substitutes where I live and nobody caters for vegans when you are invited out. The other night I was invited to dinner and was served chicken. When I declined it I was told that fish would have been more aproprate !!:confused:

:welcome: How wonderful to have bought up your children into a 'veggie world' !

I also am a vegetarian but mostly eat 90 % vegan meals. The only reason is that there is a limited choice of substitues where I live and nobody caters for vegans when you are invited out. The other night I was invited to dinner and was served chicken. When I declined it I was told that fish would have been more aproprate !!:confused:

We've had many happy family holidays in France, and what I do remember is that the country in general is not very vegetarian friendly, let alone an easy place to be vegan. So I sympathise with you (move to the UK ;) ).

We've had many happy family holidays in France, and what I do remember is that the country in general is not very vegetarian friendly, let alone an easy place to be vegan. So I sympathise with you (move to the UK ;) ).

I would love to move back home !:D

The French are very unfriendly to vegetarians and most of them don't know what a vegan is !

I would love to move back home !:D

The French are very unfriendly to vegetarians and most of them don't know what a vegan is !

We used to drive through France and because we had the car we could take lots of veggie food with us, stuff like packets of Beanfeast and Sosmix etc. I remember French restaurant options always involved cheese and eggs, and if you complained about the bits of bacon they threw on top you were seen as extremely fussy!

Maybe they'll catch up one day...!!

We used to drive through France and because we had the car we could take lots of veggie food with us, stuff like packets of Beanfeast and Sosmix etc. I remember French restaurant options always involved cheese and eggs, and if you complained about the bits of bacon they threw on top you were seen as extremely fussy!

:yes: We are talking about the same place.

Maybe they'll catch up one day...!!

Not a chance ! The supermarkets display so much meat, delicatessen meats, dairy and cheese that they would
go bust if the French stopped buying them.:p

Welcome to VV! :wave:

It may be possible to be vegan in France, but you have to really work at it.

ETA: Shyvas, if you go to the Germany thread, there's a brief discussion about the fact that in that country, a traditionally big meat-eating country, meat consumption is actually on the decline. I know France and Germany are two different countries, but if it could happen in Germany, I'll bet it could happen in France. Someday. You never know. :D

Welcome, Angie! So very glad to see you over here :)

Do let us know if there are features you'd like to see, or if there is anything you think should be done differently etc. It might be easier for someone new to the site to spot these things. (Is the font too small? Too little contrast? Etc.)

Not a chance ! The supermarkets display so much meat, delicatessen meats, dairy and cheese that they would
go bust if the French stopped buying them.:p

Yeah: you've just reminded me of the area in their supermarkets which have live crabs and lobsters on sale for food :no:

I think the French still have it in their head that they are a country of gourmets, and far superior to other countries when it comes to food: whereas here in the UK we accepted that our national dishes were rubbish, and have eagerly taken on board and to our hearts some fantastic food from abroad. The wide variety of food on offer in cities in the UK now is far superior to the food available in the cities of France (that was the case when I was there anyway).