Midwest Groceries stores that carry your favorite veg*n products

Veggiemama

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Obviously, Whole Foods and Trader Joes carry our products but what about local supermarkets? I know a lot of us don't have HFS close to us.

I live in Illinois and here's where I buy some of my favorite products.

Meijer- Plainfield location carries Quorn products and the Meijer Organics brand are less expensive and really good. Everything from their baby snacks to soups, milk, beans, etc.

Jewel- The Plainfield location on 135th carries Quorn

Kroger (Food 4 Less) - Their store brand worcestire sauce is vegan!!

Does anyone know of any local supermarkets near Plainfield that carry Chicken and/or beef flavored vegetarian broth? I always need it and it sucks having to go all the way to WF to pick it up.

Does anyone know of any local supermarkets near Plainfield that carry Chicken and/or beef flavored vegetarian broth? I always need it and it sucks having to go all the way to WF to pick it up.

Try Amazon. Being my grocery shopping options are extremely limited I get a lot of my stuff online.

There's not a WF or TJ around here, and the two really small health food stores (HFS) here don't carry food stuff.
I guess the best around here would be Kroger, Publix, and maybe Aldi's. I loved Aldi's because they had great produce but had to stop shopping there because the last few times I would go, the produce was going bad by the very next day. I may give it a shot again.

I used to buy Naturally Preferred chocolate soymilk from Kroger but I think they may have stopped carrying it, which sucks because I liked that one a lot better than the Silk brand. Kroger also has a small selection of daiya cheese, fake meats, and milk alternatives. Plus, their natural section has a lot of the better "real" foods like free-range eggs and the like. So, even if the area is small, they are at least trying to do more "animal-friendly" and non-animal products.

Here in California I find vegan stuff in Raley's/Nob Hill Foods, Safeway/Von's, Mollie Stone's (very small chain local to the SF Bay Area), Grocery Outlet, and SaveMart, besides at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. And if you ever go to Yosemite the Village Store has a good selection of vegan stuff, including Vegenaise.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Kroger's selections here in central Illinois. And there's a local ( 2 stores in two towns) store very similar to Whole Foods. It's called Naturally Yours.

And Aldi's has good prices on almond milk, gelatine free *jello*, etc.

Aldi's carries gelatin free Jello??? Say what? TOTALLY going to have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!

Aldi's carries gelatin free Jello??? Say what? TOTALLY going to have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!

Yes, they're little individual serving sized things - either 6 or 8 to a pack. At the local store, they're near the peanut butter, crackers, and other snack foods. Several plain flavors, and several with fruit in them.

Reactions: Veggiemama
Yes, they're little individual serving sized things - either 6 or 8 to a pack. At the local store, they're near the peanut butter, crackers, and other snack foods. Several plain flavors, and several with fruit in them.
Awesome! Thank you so much.

Dominicks.....my fave store and they have an awesome (organic) veggie section and great prices and w/coupons I do really well here.

Whole Foods....maybe twice a year and thats to stock up on dandies marshmellows and other specialty goods.

Aldi....usually with my parents this store is not a fave of mine and doesnt take coupons to me thats just wrong but they sometimes have awesome special buys and sales on fruit and veggies.

Free From Market....has some sales and special deals esp on fake meats and vegan cheese.

Costco....has awesome deals on fake meats, hummus, falafel, soy milk, rice milk, veggies, fruit ect.....and they have an awesome coupon book that makes the prices even better.

honestly I go where the deals/sales esp & always w/coupons are I have a few fave stores but I will go to any that are close to me to get awesome products at an awesome price.

peace, love and hippiness:)

Festival Foods has a fair selection, considering we're so far from a major population center. They didn't want to stock an item I requested, because they didn't have room in their freezer unit, so I agreed to buy a whole case of the stuff and got a 5% discount.

Ellwood Thompson (www.ellwoodthomspon.com) is our local, wonderful health food store and natural market. I adore it! The bakery is mostly vegan, as is the deli, and they typically carry all of the latest and greatest. While Whole Foods typically gets new products a few weeks sooner, I guess because they're national, ET usually gets with the program very quickly.

If you're speaking of veg*n specialty items Giant Foods/Martins in the East has a great selection of Boca, Morningstar, Lightlife, Tofurky, Nasoya, Dr. Praegers and the like plus they've recently devoted a much larger percentage of aisle space to organic items with sale prices that often match those of conventional products, plus they double coupons. For everyday good prices on produce I'm still in love with ALDI. You just gotta be careful about buying large quantities because their produce does seem to be short-lived.

I wonder whether Aldi's produce isn't as preservative soaked as some. Regular grocery produce has an unnaturally long shelf life, especially considering how long in transit from being picked to arriving in the stores.

One of the Kroger's here has a section with a lot of vegan products and of course lots of other stuff that is vegan, but not thought of as "vegan products". The Co-ops and another large local grocery store also have a lot of vegan products.

The south side Kroger's (more locals, less students) and the two Marsh's don't seem to have anything catered toward vegans.

Hannaford's, Shop Rite, Stop n Shop, A&P are the major chains around here. They have expanded their selection of veg*n foods quite a bit. And I have a Mrs. Green's nearby. They carry the harder to find stuff that the supermarket chains don't carry.