We are slaves to pleasure

Oluwamuyiwa

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There was a time I couldn't say no to a meat-based cuisine, it was what I always craved the most. It made me to patronize local hunters around where I lived, basically giving my support to invade the animal world and kill them just to satisfy my lust for flesh. Honestly, I was a slave to pleasure.

My mother used to say this to me when we had no animal products to support our meals when I was young; 'ability to adjust is part of education'. That saying grew on me, but culture had more influence over me than education did. We Africans have a culture that's built around meat eating, the more chunks of meat you are served at a table, signifies your wealth, prestige and affluence. As a father, you are entitled to 2-3 chunks of meat in a meal, it's a form of respect from the wife to the husband. Giving your husband one chunk of meat is disrespectful and an insult. How then can she be prompted to give no meat to him on the basis of ethical reasons towards animals? It just impossible because most Africans are slaves of pleasure.

Sadly, Africans do not consider the ethical principles involved in the processing of meat. We see animals as a form of gratification, meat consumption transcends just eating it at meals, even after satisfying one's hunger, we still consume it just for pleasure. Pleasure is violent when not controlled, it's like a raging bull mounted by a rider with hopes to subjugate it. Why should we allow pleasure to dominate us? That has always been the cause of every evil act perpetuated against fellow man and animals; pleasure for sex leads to rape, pleasure for taste leads to death, pleasure for money leads to robbery, pleasure for power leads to oppression. Man's problem is lack of control, too weak to not give in to his impulses. Until we start cultivating the habit of controlling our impulses, we would only remain slaves to pleasure.

Now, I don't know much about other places, I can only speak for Nigeria in West Africa. But looking at a lot of vegan restaurants, food companies, and platforms in the states that are putting the hard work to produce plant-based products as alternatives to animal products, I can say embracing vegan lifestyle could be pretty easy over there. Some might tell me, it sure doesn't taste the same, but what has the taste got to do for you so long as it's nutritious, it just shows that you still a slave to pleasure.

I would round up with a saying my older brother and I used to console ourselves, when others had more tasty food than us to satiate their pleasure;

"It would all end in the toilet"

Peace & Love
Cyril

Last edited:
Hello Cyril, thank you for the perspective on a different culture. In the states meat has also long been seen as associated with wealth and prestige, so maybe it is not so different.
I'm curious about whether you can get any vitamin supplements where you are? A quick search showed me that Lagos is the largest city in Nigeria, so if vitamin supplements could be found anywhere, I would think it would be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oluwamuyiwa
Glad to share, you are always welcome.

About the vitamin supplements, they should be available around where I reside. I live in the city (urban), though I don't use vitamin supplements. That's why I am unawares of it's availability.

Oh, okay. I'd like to share with you that there is one thing humans need that we don't get enough of from plants alone, and that is a vitamin called B 12, which is made by bacteria, not by plants and not by animals. Do you already know something about it?

Last edited:
Oh, okay. I'd like to share with you that there is one thing humans need that we don't get enough of from plants alone, and that is a vitamin called B 12, which is made by bacteria, not by plants and not by animals. Do you already know something about it?
No I don't, never heard of it.

May I ask, what does this vitamin do? And could this vitamin be a reason to eat meat?

Please, I am asking so you can educate me, thanks for reaching out.

Vitamin B12 is made by bacteria. All mammals need it, including humans. Lots of mammals, including humans, cattle, and rabbits, have bacteria in our large intestines (that is the last part of our digestive tract) that make B12. But we can only absorb it in our small intestine, which comes before the large intestine.

Cattle's bodies have a way of moving their food around so that they can get some of the B12 back to their small intestine where they can absorb it. Rabbits solve the problem by eating their own poop. In the past, many humans in India and elsewhere got B12 by eating milk and milk products from cows, sheep and goats. In Southeast Asia chickens were domesticated and people ate their eggs, which also have some B12. There is some B12 in meat, too, because it is part of every animal's body.

If someone is eating little or none of these things, they can get some B12 from a supplement. B12 supplements are made by fermenting a type of bacteria that makes a lot of B12.
Someone who stops eating meat won't have problems right away, because our bodies store some B12 in the liver. For some people, they may have enough B12 stored up in their liver to last a year. Others may have enough to last 5 years. A few may go even longer without serious health problems, but eventually, the body will have problems maintaining nerves and making red blood cells if the B12 needed to do these things gets too low.

This is why someone who stops eating meat should try to find a supplement that has B12 in it. Another name for B12 is cyanocobalamin or cobalamin. Some general multivitamins have some B12. Some supplements called B complex have B12. Sometimes supplements marketed to cure anemia may (or may not) have some B12. You have to read the labels to see.

I have no idea what may be available near you, or what kind of stores sell supplements and vitamins near you. I'd be interested to hear what you find if you research this.

Last edited:
Okay, this is fairly new to me. Honestly, I believe vegetables and fruits should contain all the vitamins and minerals we need for an healthy living, including vitamin B12. Though I am no expert, it's just an assumption.

You make a great point, I don't mind looking into it a bit further. Here is my problem, I am anti medications which includes pills, supplements or syringes. My journey to veganism sprouted from my decision to abstain from anything synthetic, including supplements. I strive to keep all my intakes organic and natural as possible.

Like you said, I would also be interested to see what I find, give me some time to look into it, and I would get back to you shortly.

Thanks for sharing something that could potentially save someone's life. It means a lot.

Peace & Love
Cyril

Reactions: Emma JC and bEt
B12 supplements are not really synthetic, because they are made using a natural bacteria that is found in nature. I'm glad you are curious about finding healthy ways to live.

B12 supplements are not really synthetic, because they are made using a natural bacteria that is found in nature. I'm glad you are curious about finding healthy ways to live.
Okay, then it is definitely worth looking into if so.

That's the least I owe my body, find healthy ways to live.

I am glad to be a part of this forum.

Vitamin B12 is made by bacteria. All mammals need it, including humans. Lots of mammals, including humans, cattle, and rabbits, have bacteria in our large intestines (that is the last part of our digestive tract) that make B12. But we can only absorb it in our small intestine, which comes before the large intestine.

Cattle's bodies have a way of moving their food around so that they can get some of the B12 back to their small intestine where they can absorb it. Rabbits solve the problem by eating their own poop. In the past, many humans in India and elsewhere got B12 by eating milk and milk products from cows, sheep and goats. In Southeast Asia chickens were domesticated and people ate their eggs, which also have some B12. There is some B12 in meat, too, because it is part of every animal's body.

If someone is eating little or none of these things, they can get some B12 from a supplement. B12 supplements are made by fermenting a type of bacteria that makes a lot of B12.
Someone who stops eating meat won't have problems right away, because our bodies store some B12 in the liver. For some people, they may have enough B12 stored up in their liver to last a year. Others may have enough to last 5 years. A few may go even longer without serious health problems, but eventually, the body will have problems maintaining nerves and making red blood cells if the B12 needed to do these things gets too low.

This is why someone who stops eating meat should try to find a supplement that has B12 in it. Another name for B12 is cyanocobalamin or cobalamin. Some general multivitamins have some B12. Some supplements called B complex have B12. Sometimes supplements marketed to cure anemia may (or may not) have some B12. You have to read the labels to see.

I have no idea what may be available near you, or what kind of stores sell supplements and vitamins near you. I'd be interested to hear what you find if you research this.
Good information. Yes, B12 is found in healthy soils. However, most farm animals do not ingest healthy plants and soil attached to it. 99.9% of all farm animals in the USA are fed supplements including B12. They do not get it naturally. Most omnivores who criticize vegans for needing to take a B12
supplement (as a put-down for not eating animals), are completely unaware that THEY are ingesting B12 from a supplement. Despite this,
a good percentage of (vegan, and) omnivore humans are deficient in B12 (among other nutrients). They may have malabsorption issues, be low in folate or other nutrients, etcetera. True, many vegans do not take B12 supplements. I have omnivore friends who need B12 by pill or shot. As far as I know, 99% of all supplements are made in a laboratory, not from whole foods, and lab supplements do not absorb that well in our
human body. Just my 2 cents.

Okay, then it is definitely worth looking into if so.

That's the least I owe my body, find healthy ways to live.

I am glad to be a part of this forum.
Thank you for sharing Cyril. The history of eating animals shows us that animals were scarce at times, so the ability to consume lots
of animal flesh was considered a status symbol of power (and/or wealth). As the Chinese, and other, people earn more income, their consumption
of animal proteins have drastically also increased. Eating animals also psychologically gives us the feeling of superiority over those animals
as a dominance mentality. Its' also a huge habit and addiction for most humans.
Second, B12 is found in healthy soils, and water that is mineralized over rocks and healthy soils. Thats' where humans used to get it.
There ARE plant foods containing B12. Duckweed for instance is a plant grown in Asia. However, it does not have huge amounts of B12 in it.
Another is Nori seaweed sheets from healthy waters. I do take a B12 pill or liquid, and my B12 levels are great. Cheers.
See the attached videos here.
Mic the vegan plant B12

Most Americans do not "hunt"(murder), but studies show that they tend to have similar personalities as seen in multiple
articles. The first below seems to have been scrubbed by someone who does not like the truth.

• Informative
bEt is right, it is worth getting B12 if you can get it. Check the price though. If it is imported it may be a little expensive, but worth considering for your health.

To your original account, it does seem that as you say culturally veganism may be harder to promote in Africa than some other places. However human beings are mostly the same or similar everywhere and culture can change over time.

Do you think it will be easier to promote plant based meat that tastes like animal meat, rather than a diet based on salads, vegetables, carbs and beans etc? Maybe the solution is to present these alternative meats as a premium product somehow?

I am not sure about the pleasure argument. I think the pleasure of eating vegan food is the same.

bEt is right, it is worth getting B12 if you can get it. Check the price though. If it is imported it may be a little expensive, but worth considering for your health.

To your original account, it does seem that as you say culturally veganism may be harder to promote in Africa than some other places. However human beings are mostly the same or similar everywhere and culture can change over time.

Do you think it will be easier to promote plant based meat that tastes like animal meat, rather than a diet based on salads, vegetables, carbs and beans etc? Maybe the solution is to present these alternative meats as a premium product somehow?

I am not sure about the pleasure argument. I think the pleasure of eating vegan food is the same.
I believe it's easier to promote a plant based meat that tastes like meat rather than a diet based on salads, vegetables, carbs and beans. People would tend to prefer to try it out even meat eaters. Over here, people tend to crave meat alot, and to affirm that it's for pleasure, I would give a very good reason why I said so.

In Nigeria, all over the country, there are Suya spots, what Suya signifies is, a business where animal flesh is roasted on sticks and sold to customers. People patronize them a lot, and it is the Hausa's that sell such products. Suya is just a snack, it's purely meat and it's a booming market.

I wish we could have alternative meats as a easy to buy product, people would definitely buy even meat eaters, for we love to try new things out.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Brian W
To change topic a bit....Does almost everyone in Nigeria speak English? If an Igbo met a Yoruba would they probably speak English? How common is it for Nigerians to speak English as a first language, even within their family group where everyone is the same tribe/ethnic group? How does schooling work in terms of language?

Reactions: bEt
To change topic a bit....Does almost everyone in Nigeria speak English? If an Igbo met a Yoruba would they probably speak English? How common is it for Nigerians to speak English as a first language, even within their family group where everyone is the same tribe/ethnic group? How does schooling work in terms of language?
English is our official language, everyone speaks English no matter the tribe you are from. But due to the illiterate populace, pidgin English was formed. Pidgin English is our unofficial but spoken by all language, it is considered broken English. In schools, it is mandatory to study and pass your English language course, this is a general subject. Also, an indigenous language is added depending on the region. Let's say the school is located in the Igbo land, it's mandatory to learn the Igbo language in school along with the English language. Same with the Yoruba and Hausa, you are to learn Yoruba and Hausa language respectively, along with English..

Within an household, one might be instructed to communicate in his/her local dialect, but once outside, you switch back to pure English. If a Yoruba man meets an Igbo man, they would both speak in English, because it's an official language, and being considerate of the language barrier, they would both speak in English.

Yes, that's about what I thought, I think I heard or read similar elsewhere. So in Yoruba region schools what about a school class in say science or maths? Would that be taught in English?

And dont worry, I don`t have many more questions, I will be respectful of your time and I think I am close to finished. :)

This is pretty good but I have a fee nitpicks (of course)

Thanks to a quirk in our evolution, humans are one of the rare mammals that can’t produce enough B12 internally.​
"Quirk" seems to be the wrong word, but... moving on.
"Rare" is at least an overstatement.
can’t produce enough B12 internally.
not exactly. it should be stated as some animals can't absorb the B12 they produce.
And even that statement is not actually correct. Most if not all mammals product B12 in the large intestines. The issue is that the site for B12 absorption is in our small intestine. Animals with more complex digestive systems aren't affected by this. For instance Cows regurgitate their food and then the B12 passes thru the small intestine again. And carnivores and omnivores solve this by eating meat that contains B12.
Rabbits are an interesting exception. they don't eat meat but they also don't have a complicated digestive system. They solve this by eating their food twice.
Apes that are primarily vegetarian solve this by eating bugs, eggs and even meat. And some apes if not able to get meat or bugs will eat their food twice, too.

I did like the little discussion on early humans. our earliest ancestors were probably just like apes and chimps and turned over logs to hunt for grubs, and probably could capture small animals and eggs and such. Also Some researchers thing human population growth followed water courses so shell fish were probably a good source of B12.

our eyes could make out vultures at a distance and we could walk to when an animal was killed. Perhaps using clubs and rocks to get the vultures and hyenas away from the corpse. and if the corpse was a large animal we were probably the only animal that could crack the large bones and get into the marrow.

Some guys speculate that our bipedal ancestors were successful because we could walk and carry clubs and rocks.

Yes, that's about what I thought, I think I heard or read similar elsewhere. So in Yoruba region schools what about a school class in say science or maths? Would that be taught in English?

And dont worry, I don`t have many more questions, I will be respectful of your time and I think I am close to finished. :)
Irrespective of what course/subject is being taught, whether science or maths, it's taught in English even in the Yoruba region. Yoruba is also taught alongside the English as a second language, and it's mandatory to learn Yoruba no matter what tribe you are from, so long as you are schooling in the Yoruba region. Same rule applies to other regions and the school system over there.

It's okay, like I said earlier, I freelance as a copywriter, email copywriting and blog content writing to be precise. I don't mind been hired to write about my passion in veganism or other related topics. I am open to take any role, you can check out my website to know more about me:

www.thycopycraft.com

Thank you for the chance to give answers to certain topics that encompasses my nations lifestyle and culture. I do hope to shed more light on any other inquiries as an hired freelance copywriter.

Cyril

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bEt