Gender.

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Why are more women than men vegan. And, if this is an ever increasing difference, will it cause some sort of societal imbalance?

David3

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Why are more women than men vegan. And, if this is an ever increasing difference, will it cause some sort of societal imbalance?
A 2019 Harris Poll found that 4% of American men identify as vegetarian/vegan, and 3% of American women identify as vegetarian/vegan.
Link: How Many Adults in the U.S. are Vegetarian and Vegan | The Vegetarian Resource Group (VRG)

A 2019 Gallup poll found that 4% of American men consider themselves vegetarian, and 6% of American women consider themselves vegetarian.
Link: What Percentage of Americans Are Vegetarian?

If you look at the details of the poll results, there are potentially regional- and age- disparities in the male/female vegetarian percentages. Overall, however, the % of male and female vegetarians appear similar.

Last edited:

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am sort of with David. I think it is kind of equal. However there does seem to be some disparities.
for instance it seems to me that more of the YouTube vegan Cooking show hosts are female.
but most of the YouTube vegan health shows are run by men.

When I went to that online VegNews party, the entire editorial staff were women.

although if it was true that there are more female vegans than male vegans I would chalk it up to compassion. I think women tend to be more compassionate than men. Probably something to do with the whole motherhood thing.

Another factor could be intelligence. Its a well proven and known fact that 🎶🎶 Women Are Smarter Than Men, Oh Yeah.🎶🎶

I did a quick perusal of the news and I found these articles. All of which state that there are Way More female vegans.

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am sort of with David. I think it is kind of equal. However there does seem to be some disparities.
for instance it seems to me that more of the YouTube vegan Cooking show hosts are female.
but most of the YouTube vegan health shows are run by men.

When I went to that online VegNews party, the entire editorial staff were women.

although if it was true that there are more female vegans than male vegans I would chalk it up to compassion. I think women tend to be more compassionate than men. Probably something to do with the whole motherhood thing.

Another factor could be intelligence. Its a well proven and known fact that 🎶🎶 Women Are Smarter Than Men, Oh Yeah.🎶🎶

I did a quick perusal of the news and I found these articles. All of which state that there are Way More female vegans.

I totally agree Lou, especially about women being more compassionate, although I would say, more empathic. As for being more intelligent, I'm not sure there's any scientific basis for that, but I do know that I've always preferred the company and conversation of women! 😉

Reactions: Emma JC

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Believe me, it's the people that say
That the men are leading women astray
But I say that the women today
Are smarter than the men in every way
That's right, the women are smarter
The women are smarter than the men today
That's right!

Reactions: Ahimsa

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ugh. Reverse sexism is still sexism. This is the 21st century.

Decades of research show unequivocally that men and women are equal in general intelligence (IQ), but that isn't the case when it comes to emotional intelligence (EQ). There are subtle, and not so subtle, differences in men's and women's expression and understanding of emotions that must be explored and understood.​

Most importantly you can't argue with Harry Belafonte or the Grateful Dead for that matter.

:)

Reactions: Emma JC

David3

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Decades of research show unequivocally that men and women are equal in general intelligence (IQ), but that isn't the case when it comes to emotional intelligence (EQ). There are subtle, and not so subtle, differences in men's and women's expression and understanding of emotions that must be explored and understood.​

Most importantly you can't argue with Harry Belafonte or the Grateful Dead for that matter.

:)