Gender.

Ahimsa

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Why are more women than men vegan. And, if this is an ever increasing difference, will it cause some sort of societal imbalance?

Why are more women than men vegan. And, if this is an ever increasing difference, will it cause some sort of societal imbalance?
A 2019 Harris Poll found that 4% of American men identify as vegetarian/vegan, and 3% of American women identify as vegetarian/vegan.
Link: How Many Adults in the U.S. are Vegetarian and Vegan | The Vegetarian Resource Group (VRG)

A 2019 Gallup poll found that 4% of American men consider themselves vegetarian, and 6% of American women consider themselves vegetarian.
Link: What Percentage of Americans Are Vegetarian?

If you look at the details of the poll results, there are potentially regional- and age- disparities in the male/female vegetarian percentages. Overall, however, the % of male and female vegetarians appear similar.

Last edited:
I am sort of with David. I think it is kind of equal. However there does seem to be some disparities.
for instance it seems to me that more of the YouTube vegan Cooking show hosts are female.
but most of the YouTube vegan health shows are run by men.

When I went to that online VegNews party, the entire editorial staff were women.

although if it was true that there are more female vegans than male vegans I would chalk it up to compassion. I think women tend to be more compassionate than men. Probably something to do with the whole motherhood thing.

Another factor could be intelligence. Its a well proven and known fact that 🎶🎶 Women Are Smarter Than Men, Oh Yeah.🎶🎶

I did a quick perusal of the news and I found these articles. All of which state that there are Way More female vegans.

I am sort of with David. I think it is kind of equal. However there does seem to be some disparities.
for instance it seems to me that more of the YouTube vegan Cooking show hosts are female.
but most of the YouTube vegan health shows are run by men.

When I went to that online VegNews party, the entire editorial staff were women.

although if it was true that there are more female vegans than male vegans I would chalk it up to compassion. I think women tend to be more compassionate than men. Probably something to do with the whole motherhood thing.

Another factor could be intelligence. Its a well proven and known fact that 🎶🎶 Women Are Smarter Than Men, Oh Yeah.🎶🎶

I did a quick perusal of the news and I found these articles. All of which state that there are Way More female vegans.

I totally agree Lou, especially about women being more compassionate, although I would say, more empathic. As for being more intelligent, I'm not sure there's any scientific basis for that, but I do know that I've always preferred the company and conversation of women! 😉

Reactions: Emma JC
Believe me, it's the people that say
That the men are leading women astray
But I say that the women today
Are smarter than the men in every way
That's right, the women are smarter
The women are smarter than the men today
That's right!

Reactions: Ahimsa
Ugh. Reverse sexism is still sexism. This is the 21st century.

Decades of research show unequivocally that men and women are equal in general intelligence (IQ), but that isn't the case when it comes to emotional intelligence (EQ). There are subtle, and not so subtle, differences in men's and women's expression and understanding of emotions that must be explored and understood.​

Most importantly you can't argue with Harry Belafonte or the Grateful Dead for that matter.

:)

Reactions: Emma JC
Decades of research show unequivocally that men and women are equal in general intelligence (IQ), but that isn't the case when it comes to emotional intelligence (EQ). There are subtle, and not so subtle, differences in men's and women's expression and understanding of emotions that must be explored and understood.​

Most importantly you can't argue with Harry Belafonte or the Grateful Dead for that matter.

:)

Anecdotally, it seems about equal. (Speaking from experience just to compliment the stats presented.)

I have, personally, known more vegetarian and PB women and more vegan men. At least in my own life, women tend to go for the middle ground whereas dietary extremes appeal more to men. But that’s a generalization.

Another variable, when considering personal experience, is the way people talk about their diets. That’s all I have to go on, not what people are actually eating.

I think it’s gotten more equal during my lifetime. It seemed to be more popular with women in the 90’s, whereas today, it seems a lot more diverse, not just gender-wise but in every way.

I think culture is a factor there. Animal products are associated with masculinity. Restrictive diets are associated with femininity. It was more socially acceptable for women to go veg.

But now there’s a huge, diverse vegan community, with lots of masculine vegan role models. So more men are making the switch.

Anecdotally, it seems about equal. (Speaking from experience just to compliment the stats presented.)

I have, personally, known more vegetarian and PB women and more vegan men. At least in my own life, women tend to go for the middle ground whereas dietary extremes appeal more to men. But that’s a generalization.

Another variable, when considering personal experience, is the way people talk about their diets. That’s all I have to go on, not what people are actually eating.

I think it’s gotten more equal during my lifetime. It seemed to be more popular with women in the 90’s, whereas today, it seems a lot more diverse, not just gender-wise but in every way.

I think culture is a factor there. Animal products are associated with masculinity. Restrictive diets are associated with femininity. It was more socially acceptable for women to go veg.

But now there’s a huge, diverse vegan community, with lots of masculine vegan role models. So more men are making the switch.
I think that genetics also plays a part. Generally, women are stronger and better at surviving than men because if the XX chromosomes. In other words, if we consider ethical veganism as a better option for survival, of the planet and all its life forms, then genetically women are going to be more attracted to such a diet/lifestyle than most men. A book called: "The Better Half" by Professor Sharon Moalem, may be of interest. 🙂

I wouldn’t say one gender is stronger and better at surviving than the other.

But men seem to, generally, have more meat cravings. They seem to crave foods rich in protein and saturated fat. This is what my male friends say - that they get serious meat cravings. This can make it harder to go vegan.

But, today, there are so many vegan men and there’s so much info out there. Not to mention all the products. It’s gotten easier.

Back in the 90’s, we only had Morning Star Farms and Boca Burgers. The other brands were really expensive and hard to find. And a lot of the info was not very accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Ahimsa

But men seem to, generally, have more meat cravings. They seem to crave foods rich in protein and saturated fat. This is what my male friends say - that they get serious meat cravings. This can make it harder to go vegan.

But, today, there are so many vegan men and there’s so much info out there. Not to mention all the products. It’s gotten easier.

Back in the 90’s, we only had Morning Star Farms and Boca Burgers. The other brands were really expensive and hard to find. And a lot of the info was not very accurate.
When confronted with cognitive dissonance women are more likely to change and men are more likely to dig themselves in to traditional beliefs. Most surveys show that there are significantly more female vegans/vegetarians in almost every country in the world. In America, one study of 11,000 vegans revealed that only around a quarter of them were male. Personally, I think women have the capacity for greater empathy than men, which may be the main cause of the difference in figures. I guess there are many factors and many opinions on this, but whatever the facts let's just hope that more and more of both men and women become vegan. 🙂

But men seem to, generally, have more meat cravings
. They seem to crave foods rich in protein and saturated fat. This is what my male friends say - that they get serious meat cravings. This can make it harder to go vegan.

Females have a higher life expectancy compared to males :

I have also noticed that most men are huge consumers of meat especially the dark red,fatty and unhealthy type. Women usually like vegetables and consume less meat and prefer lean protein.

I don't have much experience with vegans over here. I've only ever met one young couple who were vegan and two friends both have a vegan man in their inner family circle. Everyone else that I know all eat tons of meat and dairy.

Females have a higher life expectancy compared to males :

I have also noticed that most men are huge consumers of meat especially the dark red,fatty and unhealthy type. Women usually like vegetables and consume less meat and prefer lean protein.

I don't have much experience with vegans over here. I've only ever met one young couple who were vegan and two friends both have a vegan man in their inner family circle. Everyone else that I know all eat tons of meat and dairy.
Psychological cravings I would think, although there may be some truth in the desire for more protein in respect of muscle mass. America is, I believe, the largest consumer of meat and dairy in the world, so there are obviously many factors for this, some of which have a strong psychological influence. In the UK there are quite a few vegans and veggies, but we're still only about 5% of the population. I don't think men here though have the same societal macho pressures on them as they do in some countries, or should I say, areas of countries.

I’m skeptical of studies in subjective areas because there is so much room for bias, and for the results to be reported inaccurately. I say this based on extensive experience; people don’t always behave ethically and without bias while performing research.

I also think we would benefit from moving away from all prejudices, including those based on gender. We’re assigned a gender based on what our bodies look like. The observed neurological and behavioral differences are just averages - huge generalizations. In reality, it’s more like a Ven diagram with a lot of overlap. Many people are not what they’re expected to be based on our ideas about gender.

We need to discard scientific sexism along with scientific racism. It’s all bull shitake. 🍄

I’m skeptical of studies in subjective areas because there is so much room for bias, and for the results to be reported inaccurately. I say this based on extensive experience; people don’t always behave ethically and without bias while performing research.

I also think we would benefit from moving away from all prejudices, including those based on gender. We’re assigned a gender based on what our bodies look like. The observed neurological and behavioral differences are just averages - huge generalizations. In reality, it’s more like a Ven diagram with a lot of overlap. Many people are not what they’re expected to be based on our ideas about gender.

We need to discard scientific sexism along with scientific racism. It’s all bull shitake. 🍄
Genetically we are different though. In other respects I would agree with you.