Do you all vegans integrate b9?

rucola

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, I am italian so sorry for my english.
I'm vegan from about 9 years but I had big problems with B12 and B9. Without integrating the B12 I fastly reached neuropathy and excessive pernicious anemia, that means I had already no big reserves of it. So I started to integrate B12 and B9 with a stronger therapy when I finally discovered what I had.
Now I'm ok and from 2 years I integrate 250 mcg per day of B12, that in the blood analysis seem to be really ok.
But still I need to integrate at least 400 mcg of B9 daily, because, when I stop it or when I forget to take it some days during 1 month, I restart to have a light tingling in the nerves, problems to sleep and so on, like having again anemia. And still, even integrating, in my blood analysis I always always always had the blood cells too large, staying right on the max limit. I also eat of course, daily, green raw vegetables, legumes, integral cereals and so on, but this seem to be not sufficient. I have for sure a problem of assimilation then.
But I wanted to understand if also other vegans need to integrate B9 permanently everyday of it it's just me.

Thanks!

If they're eating a plant-based diet, they shouldn't have to unless they have absorption issues. Folate (B9) is naturally occurring in dark leafy greens, beans, nuts, grains, seeds, strawberries, and other vegetables. If you're eating enough of those you shouldn't have issues. Again, unless there's another underlying health concern.

You may want to discuss that with a doctor, as they may have a better solution for resolving or at least mitigating your absorption issues.

Great to see an Italiano Vegan :) I hear it is a contentious issue in Italy, being vegan, that is.

I am the same as @maverick45

I take B12 but not really anything else.

Sounds like you may have an absorption issue, hence I would be actively getting my levels checked. I know people that eat meat that still have deficiencies, it’s about your food and how your body absorbs it.

Foods rich in B9 (copy and paste from Le Internet)
  • Legumes.
  • Asparagus.
  • Leafy Greens. ...
  • Beets. ...
  • Citrus Fruits. ...
  • Brussels Sprouts. ...
  • Broccoli