Vegan cashew cheese sauces

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I made this for mac and cheeese. None of the recipes I found seemed to be right, so I did this-
Still a work in progress, but I gotta get it done so it's not forgotten

2 cups raw cashews soaked overnight
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 (maybe 2) tablespoons miso paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dijon mustard (or other)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup (or more) vegan mayo

Whir in a blender or food processor till as smooth as it gets, scraping as needed
I added directly to one lb. of hot cooked elbow macoroni and it worked well. It probably would be better if heated separately and then macaroni added. I wonder if I added some tapioca starch if it would get that sticky quality.
I didn't add salt thinking the miso would be salty, but added it at serving. Some pepper flakes or more garlic (roasted!) or even adding chopped sauteed onion and other veggies would be great.
I'd make this for topping any steamed veggies, or as a dip for a vegan pizza

Please add ideas!

Last edited:
It sounds really good! The only thing I might add is some Daiya cheddar. I find the block melts like velveeta, more so than the shreds for some reason.

Do you bake it all or eat it as is? I remember my mom always sprinkled buttered breadcrumbs on top when she made the kind that went in the oven.

Now I want Mac n cheese lol. I just got a food processor and I really want to start using soaked cashews in creamy recipes!

I think I should have heated the cashews before blending- the food processor didn't get it smooth enough. Daiya probably would have covered that though. I never tried the block kind.

I made this for mac and cheeese. None of the recipes I found seemed to be right, so I did this-
Still a work in progress, but I gotta get it done so it's not forgotten
Please add ideas!
I am watching this post with interest. I have a delicious vegetarian recipe which needs a good cheesy sauce. Even when I still used cheese I always put a tsp of English mustard in the mix. It's stronger than Dijon and gives that strong Cheddary taste.

. I just got a food processor and I really want to start using soaked cashews in creamy recipes!
It’s been almost a year gone by and I have yet to make something with soaked cashews. I hate myself, sometimes. Lol. :fp:

Yay! I found a better chedda cheese sauce!
I started with this recipe, then tweeked--
Chef Creates Life-Changing Vegan Cheese You Can Make in 15 Minutes
1/3 cup raw cashews-I simmered till they were soft through
1 3/4 cup water
¼ cup mild vegetable oil
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes

1 T mellow white miso paste
1 T tomato paste or 2 tsp tomato powder (ketchup)
1T raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt or kosher salt
½ tsp dry ground mustard
½ tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2T vegan mayo

Blended in a nutri-bullet type then simmered, stirring constently with a wish or fork till thick and just starts to bubble

Yay! I found a better chedda cheese sauce!
I started with this recipe, then tweeked--
Chef Creates Life-Changing Vegan Cheese You Can Make in 15 Minutes
1/3 cup raw cashews-I simmered till they were soft through
1 3/4 cup water
¼ cup mild vegetable oil
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 T mellow white miso paste
1 T tomato paste or 2 tsp tomato powder (ketchup)
1T raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt or kosher salt
½ tsp dry ground mustard
½ tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2T vegan mayo

Blended in a nutri-bullet type then simmered, stirring constently with a wish or fork till thick and just starts to bubble
I might have to try this. The only thing I don't have on this list is miso paste. I hardly ever use it.

I might have to try this. The only thing I don't have on this list is miso paste. I hardly ever use it.
I've grown to love miso! I usually keep the white because it's more versitile, but I also like the red I think the white is with rice and red with barley?o_O
It does add umami, but lemon to me is most important!
I'd leave out the tomato next time and just add some paprika. I really noticed it- after my son mentioned it!

I've grown to love miso! I usually keep the white because it's more versitile, but I also like the red I think the white is with rice and red with barley?o_O
It does add umami, but lemon to me is most important!
I'd leave out the tomato next time and just add some paprika. I really noticed it- after my son mentioned it!
I wish it came in smaller containers. The ones I've seen end up being too big, and the one time I bought it I ended up throwing it out after several months. How long does it last once you open it?

It really lasts a long time when sealed! I wish I'd dated my last container- I feel like early summer.
A lot of food should be in smaller servings. Like sauerkraut. I love it on sandwiches- that is all. I really can't get through a whole jar that way, the last one I kinda choked down with noodles and potatoes and peas. not my thing. If applesauce can come in individual servings so should sauerkraut. Even olives do now! Avocados come frozen!
That organic Miso Master seems like smallish containers- like cream cheese container size

Reactions: PTree15