Can fashion be ethical and sustainable?

I think it is possible, the same way it's possible for all industries to become ethical and sustainable. The real question, in my opinion, would be "when will it become fully ethical and sustainable". A great example is Patagonia which may not be fully sustainable, but at least they are moving towards that path. Many others will follow in the future as being ethical and sustainable is deemed as the 'new trend' for most corporations, but I think it will take decades before one could certainly say that the whole industry is acting a sustainable way.

Reactions: Frederic Lavender
I think it is possible, the same way it's possible for all industries to become ethical and sustainable. The real question, in my opinion, would be "when will it become fully ethical and sustainable". A great example is Patagonia which may not be fully sustainable, but at least they are moving towards that path. Many others will follow in the future as being ethical and sustainable is deemed as the 'new trend' for most corporations, but I think it will take decades before one could certainly say that the whole industry is acting a sustainable way.

Hey I agree with you that it is possible but will take a long time before the industry starts cleaning up their act. We are such a long way from this but it can happen as I hear the brand Coach stopped using fur in their goods. So change is good, little by little.

I have been a veggie for 33 years and vegan for 1. In past year I have been more conscious about the purchases I have been making in terms of fashion. I know it's not possible 100% of the time just yet but every purchase no matter how big or small all helps. Earlier this year I bought some shoes for my wife and I from this website. I contacted them wanting to know if the goods were produced ethically of not and it turns out they are. All goods are both vegan and ethically produced. www.veenofs.com.

As a conscious consumer I found that high street stores like Primark (in the U.K) are able to achieve rock bottom prices like £6 for a t-shirt and £12 for jeans because of the way their workers are exploited in sweatshops with poor working conditions and pay that is way below minimum wage. I feel like if I pay the little bit more for my goods, hopefully I am doing good and that is reflected in better working conditions for the workers that make the boots.

Reactions: Blues