Can Anyone Help?

The foam on top of a pan of lentils or beans is created by ‘saponins’ within the beans, which form a lather in water. The foam is not dangerous, and it’s totally safe to consume. You can skim it off the top of your lentils if you like, but it’s totally fine to leave it too.

The grey foam that forms on top of a pan of lentils is caused by a substance in the beans called saponins. This substance lathers up in water, just like soap – in fact, the word ‘saponins’ actually comes from the Latin word for soap, ‘sapo’!

In fact, clinical research has shown that saponins may even have major health benefits. For example, a study in the Journal Of Medicinal Food commented that saponins can lower cholesterol, lower the blood glucose response, and even lower the risk of cancer. I won’t delve too much into the health benefits of saponins here, since I’m not a biologist or dietitian, but suffice to say, unless you have a pre-existing condition that means you have trouble digesting legumes, there’s nothing harmful about the tiny levels of saponins in beans and lentils.

The only health-related argument for skimming away the foam from a pot of lentils is that some people claim it makes them less… flatulence-inducing, shall we say? Some people do seem to be more sensitive to beans and lentils than others, reporting that they cause gas, stomach irritation, bloating, and other digestive issues.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I think I have ptsd from soup making days with beef and chicken. My mom always skimmed off the foam from that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
The foam on top of a pan of lentils or beans is created by 'saponins' within the beans, which form a lather in water. The foam is not dangerous, and it's totally safe to consume. You can skim it off the top of your lentils if you like, but it's totally fine to leave it too

And it seems saponins are :

Saponins exhibit antimicrobial properties, guarding your body against fungi, bacteria and viruses. At the same time, they improve immune function by stimulating the production of T-cells. Additionally, they act as antioxidants and scavenge oxidative stress. That's why these compounds are used in some vaccines

So, sometime in early October, I am going on a hike and then we are going to have “tea”. I want to make something that will go over well with omnis. I am only vegetarian/vegan in the group. Something sweet and something savory. If anyone has any tried and true vegan recipes that they are willing to share, it would be appreciated. It has to be something that will serve as a type of finger food. Preferably. I did a google search and came up with a few things, but I always like to try something that someone else has already done, so that hopefully, it will come out good. I’m going to do some testing in the next two weeks.

I found a cherry oat bar type of dessert and a scone recipe. Scones would be perfect but I am intimidated by them for some reason. I think I will do a test run on this particular recipe. It’s kind of plain and you can add jam/cream cheese. I thought it would be a good way to introduce them to non dairy cream cheese.

So, sometime in early October, I am going on a hike and then we are going to have “tea”. I want to make something that will go over well with omnis. I am only vegetarian/vegan in the group. Something sweet and something savory. If anyone has any tried and true vegan recipes that they are willing to share, it would be appreciated. It has to be something that will serve as a type of finger food. Preferably. I did a google search and came up with a few things, but I always like to try something that someone else has already done, so that hopefully, it will come out good. I’m going to do some testing in the next two weeks.

I found a cherry oat bar type of dessert and a scone recipe. Scones would be perfect but I am intimidated by them for some reason. I think I will do a test run on this particular recipe. It’s kind of plain and you can add jam/cream cheese. I thought it would be a good way to introduce them to non dairy cream cheese.

just a thought, if you wish to introduce them to non dairy cream cheese what about cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing? scones are always amazing so if you are comfortable they would be perfect

if it was me, for savoury, I would bring hummus and breadsticks

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52

Ehhhh....I haven't liked any store bought vegan creme cheese, so I don't know about that..... I like cashew creme, but even better, letting soy yogurt drain in a hanging cheesecloth, the vanilla one if you want it sweet, or add sugar to plain. I'll do this with a combination of my soy yogurt mixed with blended cashews, drained like over a day and night.
Pumpkin bars are really easy, and great with a maple glaze
or apple bars
or my favorite--ginger biscotti! Easier than it sounds

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I’m cross posting which I think is a no-no, so if one has to be deleted, it can be the post in the Christmas thread as I don’t think too many people frequent that thread.

I need a vegan cake recipe for petit fours…preferably one that someone has experience with. I know I can google, but I was hoping for something tried and true. I need to make these:

A2D00651-455F-4D03-B195-096459840E77.jpeg

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: Blues and PTree15
I got two rolled pie crusts and just blind baked one for a quiche. It rolled out over the pan just fine, with about 1/2 inch hang off that I crimped
After 18 min baking, it shrunk--just on two sides!. I have no idea why that happened, but now two sides have the crust only halfway up the side of the pan :shrug:
I've never had that happen before, it's a regular veg shortening crust I found at Aldi on clearance, Jus Rol

Just looked at their website-they have the paper on the top of crust and filled with dry beans :ignore:. Oops

I need a recipe for a vegan roll-up cake--Swiss Roll cake. I've made pumpkin roll ups, but unsure if I ever did a vegan one?
I followed this recipe and it turned out awful. Way too thick as written, and too sticky to spread. Taste was off, texture was gummy

My best success with cakes is the usual vinegar/baking soda where you just mix. Would that lend itself to a thin cake you roll up with filling?
I think so

I need a recipe for a vegan roll-up cake--Swiss Roll cake. I've made pumpkin roll ups, but unsure if I ever did a vegan one?
I followed this recipe and it turned out awful. Way too thick as written, and too sticky to spread. Taste was off, texture was gummy

My best success with cakes is the usual vinegar/baking soda where you just mix. Would that lend itself to a thin cake you roll up with filling?
I think so
I think it might. I'm used to using aquafaba but that isn't always the best thing for sponge cakes.

I think so

would the cinnamon roll dough work? Minimalist Baker has a simple one...

I might try them today myself.

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
  • Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
they are a bit bready and delicious

Emma JC
I've made those, I thought they were very bready! Not what I wanted for cinnamon buns
I wanted Immaculate Baking co or Trader Joes, which are both vegan, but pricey
Should just buy treats like those once in a while rather than try and bake myself. I get halfway in and want to quite too much!
Oh yeah, I remember thinking I should have made walnut rolls instead,

• Friendly
What do you bread bakers use for even slices? I'm pretty happy baking bread now, but I can't make an even slice! I know they have guides, just asking for reviews

• Friendly
What do you bread bakers use for even slices? I'm pretty happy baking bread now, but I can't make an even slice! I know they have guides, just asking for reviews

we only ever use a bread knife... the key is to be sure to use the sawing motion right from the beginning and all the way through

Emma JC

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: Lou and silva
we only ever use a bread knife... the key is to be sure to use the sawing motion right from the beginning and all the way through

Emma JC
Yeah, I do that---but can't cut an even slice! I have great knife skills for veggies, but I suck at bread.
I'm thinking a wood box to use as a bread box with the opening at the end, to slide the bread out and use box as cutting guide? Sounds logical to me

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou