British V American Food Terminology

Lots. :D

The Christmas pudding looks much tastier than our fruitcake. Sticky toffee pudding sounds really yummy. :lick:
Treacle pudding looks good, but the name bothers me. I always picture octopus tentacles when I hear the name. Now, Roly-Poly pudding, that's a great name. :) It looks like our jelly roll cakes. I spotted a few chocolate ones also.

Agree with Shyvas, sticky toffee pudding is lurvvvvvvely. Treacle pudding is a bit... rich/heavy/slightly bitter for me, not sure which part of it bothers me.

Oh did you encounter Spotted Dick, which I think would be classed as a pudding although it's not in the name? :D

Oh did you encounter Spotted Dick, which I think would be classed as a pudding although it's not in the name? :D

Yes I did. And when I saw it, I was trying really hard not to turn into a 10 year old boy and giggle at the name. :p
But, since you brought it up, the name brings up visions of a diseased body part I hope I never encounter. The pudding didn't really sound like something I would like, or maybe it's just the name that makes it unappetizing.

Reactions: Lord Snot
Essence and extract are not the same things! Essence is watered down in some way.

Definitely learned some things. Didn't realise what cream of wheat was, or cheesecloth. But lots of these things are obvious! Although I think because lots of vegan cookbooks are american I am more au fait with Americanisms in cooking than most people!

Essence and extract are not the same things! Essence is watered down in some way.

Definitely learned some things. Didn't realise what cream of wheat was, or cheesecloth. But lots of these things are obvious! Although I think because lots of vegan cookbooks are american I am more au fait with Americanisms in cooking than most people!

:yes:

Lordy so many inaccuracies there...will have to type a better message when I'm not on my phone.

Reactions: KLS52
pudding

flan.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.200.200.png
My pudding comes with a recipe! People in the UK don't actually eat suet puddings very often anymore, actually I think I am the only person I know who does so (except for Christmas pudding). But damn they are good, and much easier than pies because the pastry is so simple, and much sodgier. British food is all about the stodge.

I guess it's all about what comes before the pudding.

Chocolate pudding
Flan pudding
Yorkshire pudding
Rice pudding