British V American Food Terminology

Am I the only one who can't see the words fava beans without hearing Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter? That's who I needed inside my brain before I go to bed. :p

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
I'm having trouble wrapping my little American mind around the British version of pudding.

Here, it's a soft creamy dessert. Sort of a not so rich mousse. From what I've seen, the British version looks like cake. What is the difference between your cake and pudding? I'm so confused. :confused:

I'm having trouble wrapping my little American mind around the British version of pudding.

Here, it's a soft creamy dessert. Sort of a not so rich mousse. From what I've seen, the British version looks like cake. What is the difference between your cake and pudding? I'm so confused. :confused:

Well pudding is a term for dessert, so you could say "I'm making a cake for pudding".

Puddings can also be something wrapped in a very dense case like suet (fat from animal liver), usually meat. That would be called a meat pudding.

You also have specific dishes like Christmas pudding and rice pudding which don't have a lot in common, so I don't know why they're both called puddings :D

I spent a good portion of my morning googling English Christmas Pudding. :D
It looks something like what we call fruitcake. And I want some...now!

I spent a good portion of my morning googling English Christmas Pudding. :D
It looks something like what we call fruitcake. And I want some...now!
x13774513.jpg

00915232.jpg

It is a steamed pudding and quite different to a fruit cake which is baked and served cold. Christimas pud is served hot with brandy (vegan) butter or custard or cream.

It's not dissimilar to fruit cake in taste, just a bit moister and denser. Soak a fruit cake in alcohol and you've got a pretty good imitation.

x13774513.jpg

00915232.jpg

It is a steamed pudding and quite different to a fruit cake which is baked and served cold. Christimas pud is served hot with brandy (vegan) butter or custard or cream.
It's not dissimilar to fruit cake in taste, just a bit moister and denser. Soak a fruit cake in alcohol and you've got a pretty good imitation.

Oh yum...I'll have the Christmas pudding, please! :lick:

• Haha
Reactions: shyvas and ledboots
I never liked Christmas pudding, but I really like Christmas cake.....I'm not that keen on steam pudding in general, and I think the way those two are cooked is important.....plus I like marzipan and icing.

Reactions: Lord Snot
And dont forget Yorkshire Pudding ;)

Ooh how could I forget those :lick:

I never liked Christmas pudding, but I really like Christmas cake.....I'm not that keen on steam pudding in general, and I think the way those two are cooked is important.....plus I like marzipan and icing.

Snap, I love Christmas cake but not pudding. I don't like alcohol in desserts, that's probably why.

Well pudding is a term for dessert, so you could say "I'm making a cake for pudding".

Puddings can also be something wrapped in a very dense case like suet (fat from animal liver), usually meat. That would be called a meat pudding.

You also have specific dishes like Christmas pudding and rice pudding which don't have a lot in common, so I don't know why they're both called puddings :D
To make matters worse, we have hot and cold puddings.:p
And dont forget Yorkshire Pudding ;)

Thanks, I've now spent the day googling puddings. :p

Reactions: KLS52 and Lord Snot
Can someone please explain to me what the horror that is 'Blood Pudding' refers to?

It's a type of sausage made with blood,onions and oats. It is served fried with eggs, bacon and beans for breakfast.

Needless to say I Can't tell you what it tastes like.:confused:

Any of them take your fancy? :D

Lots. :D

The Christmas pudding looks much tastier than our fruitcake. Sticky toffee pudding sounds really yummy. :lick:
Treacle pudding looks good, but the name bothers me. I always picture octopus tentacles when I hear the name. Now, Roly-Poly pudding, that's a great name. :) It looks like our jelly roll cakes. I spotted a few chocolate ones also.

Reactions: Lord Snot
Lots. :D

The Christmas pudding looks much tastier than our fruitcake. Sticky toffee pudding sounds really yummy. :lick:
Treacle pudding looks good, but the name bothers me. I always picture octopus tentacles when I hear the name. Now, Roly-Poly pudding, that's a great name. :) It looks like our jelly roll cakes. I spotted a few chocolate ones also.

This must be one of my favourites with butterscotch sauce and oatly cream drizzled over it.:lick: