McDonald’s and other fast food restaurants

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Should vegans boycott fast food restaurants like McDonald’s?
On one hand, McDonald’s are responsible for a LOT of animal suffering and slaughter, and environmental devastation, and it is much more eco-friendly to buy your own organic/local food and eat at home.
On the other hand, if vegans boycotted McDonald’s vegan options, they could take those options off of the menu, and then the animals and our shared, continued existence on this planet would lose out. We need to encourage McDonald’s to switch to vegan, for the sake of the animals and our shared, continued existence on this planet.

There isn't really anything vegan at my McDonalds. They used to have the Plant Burger (which I thought was pretty good) but they discontinued it.

Back in the day I used to stop on road trips for a coffee and an apple pie. But I have a vegan friend who won't ever go in a McDonalds. I can't remember his reasoning but I think they are like the largest buyer of eggs and chicken and their contracts for eggs and chicken are some of the worse in the industry.

I don't think a vegan boycott would pressure the McD corporation. Even if every Vegan boycotted McD - I doubt they would even notice.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I would like to support fast food restaurants to provide vegan items. I, occasionally, stop for an Impossible Whopper. The only thing stopping me from going more often is the price.

I think some vegans don't feel there are enough safeguards preventing animal products from being cooked on the same grills as vegan products. I never had a problem with it, but others do.

Reactions: Andy_T
Should vegans boycott fast food restaurants like McDonald’s?
On one hand, McDonald’s are responsible for a LOT of animal suffering and slaughter, and environmental devastation, and it is much more eco-friendly to buy your own organic/local food and eat at home.
On the other hand, if vegans boycotted McDonald’s vegan options, they could take those options off of the menu, and then the animals and our shared, continued existence on this planet would lose out. We need to encourage McDonald’s to switch to vegan, for the sake of the animals and our shared, continued existence on this planet.
I always link the following video by Gary Yourofsky (a bit of a vegan superstar) when this question crops up

In short, yes, if McD offers a vegan option (which it does where I live - The McVegan) then buy it...

Reactions: Brian W