Vegan British Pancakes

I love pancakes!! I grew up on them as my dad had pancakes for breakfast EVERY day!! :D
My grandma made them the thin "crepe" style and we often would roll them up with jam inside. Damn now I WANT them!!

I made them! I haven't made or eaten pancakes in over 5 years so I wasted some of my batter getting it wrong. They still didn't come out as thin as I remember them but they were very tasty. I took some pics.

Cooking1.jpg

Finished.jpg

Nice job, Lord Snot!

Oh how I miss the cheese blintzes at IHOP. :(
They used to make really good german pancakes, too. They were thin like crepes and flavored with orange and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Reactions: Lord Snot
Can someone tell me what I did wrong with this recipe?I probably put about 3/4 cup of almond milk in the mix plus a couple splashes of water and they still didn't turn out as thin as the pictures.But I really liked them anyways.Would like to get them thinner if possible.Anybody got any tips?

Can someone tell me what I did wrong with this recipe?I probably put about 3/4 cup of almond milk in the mix plus a couple splashes of water and they still didn't turn out as thin as the pictures.But I really liked them anyways.Would like to get them thinner if possible.Anybody got any tips?

You need to obtain more of a liquid batter, use 1/2 the quantity of lager (pale coloured beer) or water to obtain light, thin pancakes.

• 250 g de farine, bio de préférence.
  • 1/2 litre de lait végétal non sucré (ou 1/2 l de lait végétal + 1/2 l d'eau de source).
  • 1 c. à soupe d'huile bio
  • 3 c. à soupe de fécule de maïs (genre Maïzena) diluées dans 3 fois leur volume d'eau (liant remplaçant les oeufs dans les crêpes salées et/ou sucrées)
  • 1 pincée de sel.

250 g organic flour ( you can also use 1/2 wholewheat 1/2 plain) a few drops of extra liquid
1/4 litre of vegan milk + 1/4 litre of lager (pale coloured beer) or water
1 tbs olive oil, canola, peanut etc;
3 tbs of corn flour mixed with 3 times their weight in water
1 pinch of salt.

Using either a blender or hand whisk, mix all the ingredients together and leave the batter in the fridge for 2 hours. If the batter is too thick add extra water as the latter should be runny.
Oil a pancake pan and heat it until it is really hot
. Use either a ladle or an empty water bottle to pour a thin layer of batter into the pan. You have to do this quickly. When the top side is cooked, flip it over or turn with a spatula.

I hope this helps.

I agree with above but I was wondering how much you are putting in the pan...depending on the pan size perhaps even a ladelfull is too much...the mixture should literally coat the bottom of the pan. Like put a little mixture in the pan and pick up the pan to spread the mixture...dont just keep pouring mixture in the pan till its covered if that makes sence??

Reactions: SummerRain
I agree with above but I was wondering how much you are putting in the pan...depending on the pan size perhaps even a ladelfull is too much...the mixture should literally coat the bottom of the pan. Like put a little mixture in the pan and pick up the pan to spread the mixture...dont just keep pouring mixture in the pan till its covered if that makes sence??

:yes: I did say thin layer but unless you have seen how you make them, it isn't always easy to understand. :)

Prehaps the following video on Videojug can help you master the technique. It is called French Crêpe which only mean pancake. French style pancakes are thinner than British ones. The recipe in the video is vegetarian, however you can still use the vegan one above to obtain thin pancakes.

Videojug is a really good way to learn techniques for people who are learning to cook or bake. :)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to...st#playlist-urlname=how-to-make-french-crepes

Thank you Alice-Bee and shyvas!:DThat really helped me out!I'm not sure about the beer though?Is that in anyway effect the taste?Is that for color or why exactly I am I adding the beer? Is it an important part of the recipe?If I have them for breakfast I don't feel so good about eating beer for breakfast.:DSome people wouldn't object I suppose but I am trying to be somewhat healthy.

Beer makes them lighter and the alcohol and tastes evaporates during the cooking process. However if you replace 1/2 of the amount of vegan milk with water, you'll obtain lighter pancakes.