Vegan British Pancakes

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Here in sunny ol' England, pancakes are not a thick, cakey breakfast food. They are thin, only really eaten once a year on pancake day, and usually served with lemon and sugar. I was craving this style of pancakes like crazy, and whilst I had perfected the American style pancake, I couldn't find a recipe to make my childhood favourite. So I made one up :3

Makes between 6 and 8 pancakes.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp rapeseed (canola) oil
2 tbsp sugar
Soymilk
Water

Mix together flour, baking powder and sugar, preferably in a jug.
Add canola oil to the dry ingredients and stir in.
Begin adding soy milk, starting with about 1/2 a cup and increasing the amount as you mix it in. Stop just before it's a good pancake consistency; when it's roughly the consistency of a thin yoghurt.
Add a splash of cold tap water and mix in.
Heat a frying pan (mine's about 6" in diameter) on the hob until it's warm, add a little vegetable fat if it's not non-stick and wait until that's melted.
Pour in pancake batter (this is where the jug is useful) and spread around the pan. Flip it over when the top is no longer liquid; it should be a nice golden-brown on the bottom. If it's not, you can always flip it back over.
Best served with sugar and lemon.

Notes:
-The measurements for the ingredients are approximate; I threw everything together without measuring properly.
-Don't let the pan get too hot. The pancakes end up with weird, thin, curly sides if it does. They taste just fine, it just looks a little odd and makes it harder to flip 'em. This is not a vegan-pancake-exclusive problem.
-Damn, I love pancakes.

I have a vegan pancake recipe in one of my cookery books but it's basically identical to the one you've made up. :D

I'm going to try these later.
Excuse the stupid question, but how many ml/grams is in a cup? I think I always use the wrong amount of stuff which is why my baking is usually atrocious.

I also prefer the thin UK style pancakes compared to the thick US ones.

I like to make mine with buckwheat flour and prefer savory ones. A squirt of lemon juice is a must .
I also add a tablspoon of ground linseed which seems to bind the mixture.

Excuse the stupid question, but how many ml/grams is in a cup? I think I always use the wrong amount of stuff which is why my baking is usually atrocious.

Not stupid TH. If you can bear with me, I'll be putting up a link in the recipe section with a conversion chart.

*is a recipe psychic*

:rofl:

I made them on pancake day a few years ago. My friends tried them alongside their own non-vegan pancakes (which were made from a packet from the shop. It should be illegal to use shop-brought mixes on pancake day, half the fun is making the batter! ). They said that my pancakes were really good, just ever so slightly tougher than the others but otherwise they were completely fine.
Was my first time making vegan pancakes though.

It varies; a cup of flour, for example, is a different weight to a cup of sugar. A standard cup measure is about 240ml (ml doesn't take weight into account).

It varies; a cup of flour, for example, is a different weight to a cup of sugar. A standard cup measure is about 240ml (ml doesn't take weight into account).

This is where I've been going wrong then! It's rather confusing if you're not used to is.
Working out how much of both liquids and solids should be used. :oops:

Not stupid TH. If you can bear with me, I'll be putting up a link in the recipe section with a conversion chart.

Thank you very much :D

Reactions: shyvas
This is where I've been going wrong then! It's rather confusing if you're not used to is.
Working out how much of both liquids and solids should be used. :oops:

Yeah, I found it a little annoying too... so I just bought myself a cheap set of cup measures and teaspoon/tablespoon measures. Much easier ;)

Yeah, I found it a little annoying too... so I just bought myself a cheap set of cup measures and teaspoon/tablespoon measures. Much easier ;)

Poundland by any chance?

I got a bright orange set from there. Only way I can use most of my cookery books considering they use American measurements.

Poundland by any chance?

I got a bright orange set from there. Only way I can use most of my cookery books considering they use American measurements.

I definitely need to get some of these. Last time I was trying to make a banana loaf it got ridiculous, there was so must liquid and so little flour and stuff - no idea what I did.

Poundland here I come :)

Poundland by any chance?

Wilkinson's, I think. But you can pretty much get them anywhere :)

Are they like crepes? Or thicker? I want to make some! :)

They're thicker than a traditional french crepe, but when I ordered crepes in the US years ago, they were the thickness of British pancakes. So, I dunno :p They look like this:

Pancakes-on-a-plate-001.jpg

Reactions: TreeHugger