Air fryer

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone got one?

I'm not the biggest kitchen gadget guy. Mostly its a lack of counter and cupboard space. But last week I got an Instant Pot which replaces my rice cooker and crockpot. So maybe I have room for one more.

Air Fryers weren't even on my radar till this morning. An article popped up in my news feed and I was intrigued. Then I read another one. and then two more. I linked them below.
A lot of air fryers are either out of my price range or take up too much counter space. The Avalon Bay, which is pictured in the first article might be the best one for me. Smaller and cheaper than most.

So. Does anyone have an air fryer? Is it worth it?

----

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/what-is-an-air-fryer-is-it-worth-it-to-buy-one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/06/24/best-air-fryers/#6ed2a09426b4

https://healthybutsmart.com/avalon-bay-digital-air-fryer-review/

https://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/frying-vegetables-airfryer/

i did a little more research this afternoon. Man, there are too many models and brands. I may have to head over to someplace like Target to get a look at some of these.

I'm still leaning towards the smaller and less expensive models. But Cuisinart makes a very large and expensive unit. It is a toaster oven, too. So I wouldn't need to devote any counter space. then again the smaller models can probably go in a cupboard when I'm not using it.

I prefer to nuke my potato yet-to-be-fries with a Fresnel Lens. :p

Hehe, in seriousness, it just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. I often pan fry my potato strips in a simple pan with cover, no oil. I'm probably not getting an authentic type taste/mouth feel (comparable to potatoes fried in oil) that may (?) be achieved using such a device, but then I'm not spending money on things I don't consider very important either.

Reactions: TofuRobot
My interest is already waning. but it's only been something I have been aware of for 24 hours so we will see what happens.

they are bigger than I thought they were. My first impression was that the smaller ones could go in a cupboard when I wasn't using it. that is now a question mark. measurements must be taken.

I also thought they were oil-free cooking. most of the recipes call for a little oil or spraying with an aerosol. I already cook with just a little oil from an aerosol or just oil free.

French fries are nice but not sure I love them that much. The roasted veggies and tofu sparked my interest.

anyway, still hoping from an endorsement from someone that has one.

Any of the people, on YouTube, that I see using an air fryer, don't have an oven. I was also tempted by it but my oven can do all of the things that an air fryer can especially as I always parboil or, now, instant pot my potatoes before I put them into the oven to turn them into fries or wedges. It is healthier and takes a lot less time in the oven.

I have been watching a lot of Well Your World recently and he just put out a 'thanksgiving' video where he roasts veggies in the oven and made mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, all SOS and looked amazing. So roasting is easy in the oven and holds a lot more than an air fryer.

just my opinion, I too would be interested in hearing anyone who has both an oven and an air fryer

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot
Air fryers are not really a gimmick, in my humble opinion. They work on the same principle as a convection oven, only they're smaller. That said, if you buy one with the idea that it will produce foods exactly the same as deep-frying in fat, you might be slightly disappointed. It also won't crisp up anything battered. I still think the pros outweigh the cons. I would like to have one, myself, since I don't have a convection oven. It's by no means a priority, but some day, perhaps.

Reactions: sugarhiccup
Air fryers are not really a gimmick, in my humble opinion. They work on the same principle as a convection oven, only they're smaller. That said, if you buy one with the idea that it will produce foods exactly the same as deep-frying in fat, you might be slightly disappointed. It also won't crisp up anything battered. I still think the pros outweigh the cons. I would like to have one, myself, since I don't have a convection oven. It's by no means a priority, but some day, perhaps.

In my shopping around phase, I saw this one made by Cuisinart, it was very expensive and it was very big. But it was a toaster oven, and a broiler, and a convection oven, and an air fryer. It could go where my toaster is solving the counter space issue.
It might not even be as big as it looks. I really ought to go over to a store and get a side by side comparison of some of these models. But the Cuisinart is still very expensive - $200.

Oh! I just discovered that some models are also dehydrators. My sister has a persimmon tree and I love dried persimmons.

Ha! Oh, the internet. the banner on the top of this page is now filled with air fryers.

What is every ones issue with oil? I eat french fries so infrequently the bit of oil l consume is not an issue and as soon as l finish eating them l have enough guilt to keep them off my diet for a month!
Most ovens nowadays are convection which is the same thing anyhow.
I purchased last year a Cuisenart GR300 Griddler and love it for grilling vegetables, paninni ,falafels, pancakes, mini stir fries. love it! Not a countertop appliance but it will store in the oven easily. I have a Breville food processor, a Vitamix and a Omega juicer. I also have a Breville juicer too but have relegated it to the end of the list as it is no longer used...should anyone wish to buy it contact me.

I have one and it is absolutely amazing!!!!

I love it and use it multiple times a week. Just to add a crispness with or without oil.

Mine is small enough to fit laying down in my cupboard.

Reactions: hopeful
What is every ones issue with oil?

I quit cooking with oil when I learned how bad it is for you. It's highly processed - it takes some humongous # of olives to get just one ounce of oil, it's high in calories, but zero nutritional value. Simply put, it's not a health-promoting food. I call myself a WFPBV, and oil is not a whole food, by any stretch of the imagination.

Why do I do this? Because I have too many people in my immediate family that have died of either heart disease or cancer, and I don't care to increase the risk of leaving this world the same way they did.

And, I trust Drs. Geger, Barnard, Esselstyn, Mc. Dougal, Dr. Fuhrman, et al when it comes to nutritional advise.

http://eatplantsforhealth.org/next-level/why-no-oil/
https://happyherbivore.com/2011/03/say-no-to-oil/

Reactions: Sax and mavrick45
Hello! I find it difficult for my cafe to find necessary and high-quality kitchen utensils, but lately I constantly order everything here https://mcdonaldpaper.com/ .So pay attention to their range, I am sure that you will find everything you need.

@Lou
I'm pretty sure that your getting these ads now because you bought an IP. I thought I wanted one for like 5 minutes. But my toaster over has a convection setting and it does just fine, and I don't have the space for another appliance (unless it's another IP ;) )

I have an air-fryer... it is AMAZING :)

I use it to make crispy fries in a couple of minutes (from fridge to mouth - prep required but when you are hungry and have everything prepped it is super quick) and yesterday I made my chickpea snacks... super crunchy.

So I guess if you like crunchy things then definitely get it :)

Reactions: sugarhiccup
The Instant Pot does not fit in a cupboard and I don't think an air fryer can. So I am now pretty much out of counter space. I could replace my toaster oven with one that has a convection oven. those are both expensive and big. But for now, that is the best alternative.

I really should eat potatoes more often. And I do love french fries. Plus I'm pretty sure I would use it for tofu almost weekly.

For now, it remains on my "maybe someday" list.

Reactions: Emma JC
The Instant Pot does not fit in a cupboard and I don't think an air fryer can. So I am now pretty much out of counter space. I could replace my toaster oven with one that has a convection oven. those are both expensive and big. But for now, that is the best alternative.

I really should eat potatoes more often. And I do love french fries. Plus I'm pretty sure I would use it for tofu almost weekly.

For now, it remains on my "maybe someday" list.

I found the best way to eat more potatoes is to do them in the IPot and then throw them in the oven for a much shorter period of time than from raw. A few spices and they are great. A bit of crisp and not undercooked.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
For someone who loves fried items, I love using the air fryer. I bought the Gowise 5.5L after doing a lot of research and going through a few web sites. Love having fries and onion rings, its not as unhealthy as it would have been if it was dipped in hot oil. It taste a little different, but its still tasty, Don't if that is because of the air fryer or the way am making it. Any suggestions on how to make it taste better?