Air fryer

I love my air fryer so much. We use it every day to the point where the basket broke but we were able to get a replacement so we didn’t have to buy a new air fryer.
my new favorite is cutting carrots and zucchini into julienne strips and seasoning with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast and vegan parmesan. So delicious and zero points on WW lol. 😁

so my toaster over is half broken. Top heating element is out. but the bottom one still works.

Anyway it got me thinking about toaster oven/air fryers. and they are much cheaper and smaller since the last time I looked.

Silva got the Hamilton Beach but I'm thinking of getting the black and decker.

I want this baby but it’s pricey…😍 I feel like I might have posted this somewhere else but can’t remember.

Instant Vortex Pro 10 Quart Air Fryer, Rotisserie and Convection Oven, Air Fry, Roast, Broil, Bake, Toast, Reheat and Dehydrate, 1500W, Stainless Steel and Black Amazon.com: Instant Vortex Pro 10 Quart Air Fryer, Rotisserie and Convection Oven, Air Fry, Roast, Broil, Bake, Toast, Reheat and Dehydrate, 1500W, Stainless Steel and Black : Home & Kitchen

I have been sitting here trying to figure out what I would use the rotisserie for.... any thoughts?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Air fryers are not really a gimmick, in my humble opinion. They work on the same principle as a convection oven, only they're smaller. That said, if you buy one with the idea that it will produce foods exactly the same as deep-frying in fat, you might be slightly disappointed. It also won't crisp up anything battered. I still think the pros outweigh the cons. I would like to have one, myself, since I don't have a convection oven. It's by no means a priority, but some day, perhaps.
Agreed.

I thought they were initially and held off buying one for a long time. Back last August I think it was, we decided to look into them. We didn't want to be frying burgers or similar to add protein to our meals and we'd just had a small house fire as well just to add to the fun.

I investigated them a lot and settled for the Phillips make because it has a 2 minute preheat option, so takes absolutely no time at all to heat up. We bought the 2 person size. It came with a basket, a grill (or griddle in UK terms) and a shelf that sits on top of that griddle so you can layer and cook more than 1 thing at once and can add the second part way through cooking.

We've had no issues in getting battered or breaded items to go crisp, nor chips/fries

It doesn't deep fry but you can get similar results if you shake items in a bag with oil in it first then add them and I've successfully made items held together by chickpea batter as well. Onion bagi for example.

We use ours every single day almost without fail. I can now easily add grilled/bbq aubergine or courgette to salads without overheating the house in summer (I'm in Australia and don't have aircon so this is a massive plus for me). Things did cook slightly quicker and ours has both temperature (max 200°C) and timer on it.
We're looking at getting the baking tin for it as well. It will make lasagne or cake much easier because I won't have to heat up the massive oven that's in our rental home. It makes fantastic chips/ fries after a little practice. It's temperatures and timings that are different from our fan assist oven, so it took a little practice initially.

Would I recommend it? Yes, without a doubt. If it breaks out of warranty I'd replace it without hesitation. We use it considerably more than our microwave or oven.
*I'd add a picture of it if I could see how to but it's a Phillips HD9742. This link shows all the accessories we have with it, just not the additional one we'll purchase soon. There will be a similar product available in most countries. Ours is 7.1L in size compared to our oven which I'm not going to guess at but it's large.

For what it's worth, our research lead us to understand that most people prefer the Phillips range because of the technology used with the almost instant on feature.

*I wasn't logged in, lol.
16421155166055528872800589020670.jpg

I just got my toaster oven/air fryer.
Did a good job on frozen French fries. So so on the frozen chicken nuggets.

I just put on hold a Vegan Air Frying Cookbook at the library. they had two!
Hmmmm...my library lists it as an ebook, 0 of 2 copies, 0 on hold :hmm:
I did put Kathy Hesters vegan air fryer on request

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Hmmmm...my library lists it as an ebook, 0 of 2 copies, 0 on hold :hmm:
I did put Kathy Hesters vegan air fryer on request
I have requested that one and now I have put

The Complete Vegan Air Fryer Cookbook,

150 Plant-based Recipes for your Favorite Foods

by LaBorde, Susan

on request too.

Oh, you said e-book and I just checked Hoopla and they have two more vegan air frying books.
I downloaded one of them. It has 40 recipes. But I like that it covers the basics like French Frys and tofu.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
The following article explains that an air fryer is just an air assisted oven and lists the pros and cons.

My cousin bought an XL one and I advised her not to look at the instructions leaflet. No specific recipes books really required if you already have some.
As long as there is no food that contains a lot of
liquid or tons of oil you can bake/roast most dishes in an AF. The oven temperature should be reduced to approx. 10% and also the cooking time for most food is far shorter. However, there are a few dishes that cannot be made in an AF and it's just a question of trial and error.

If you're thinking about buying an air fryer, you might be wondering what the difference is between air fryers and convection ovens. The quick answer is, an air fryer is a simply a smaller convection oven (fan assisted) with a catchy name.

There is no actual frying going on inside an air fryer—that's because an air fryer cooks food via convection baking.

The following article explains that an air fryer is just an air assisted oven and lists the pros and cons.

My cousin bought an XL one and I advised her not to look at the instructions leaflet. No specific recipes books really required if you already have some.
As long as there is no food that contains a lot of
liquid or tons of oil you can bake/roast most dishes in an AF. The oven temperature should be reduced to approx. 10% and also the cooking time for most food is far shorter. However, there are a few dishes that cannot be made in an AF and it's just a question of trial and error.

If you're thinking about buying an air fryer, you might be wondering what the difference is between air fryers and convection ovens. The quick answer is, an air fryer is a simply a smaller convection oven (fan assisted) with a catchy name.

There is no actual frying going on inside an air fryer—that's because an air fryer cooks food via convection baking.
Yeah, so in Europe ovens are mostly convection? This was news to me--and why not in America? I've never even heard of a stove here having a fan! We just get sucked into buying another countertop appliance!

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Toasted some bagel thins this morning. Made a mistake and didn't watch them. Came out too well done.
There is no Top Brown setting - I'll try setting it to broil next time. also will keep on eye on it. The instruction book doesn't say whether to use the top of bottom setting for the rack. I will have to experiment with that and the time.

• Friendly
I just bought one. Love it! Love it! Love it!

I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. She is an absolutely awful cook. I watch her and it seems like she does everything right, but it always comes out awful. Truthfully, I don't know how she gags it down.

I just got a text from her about how easy it was, and how everything came out perfect. She said that it was turning out "cheffy" meals.

I bought one, too. I purchased the Cosori. Not one of the supercheap ones, but mid range. I've been pleased with it. Super easy to clean.

Yeah, so in Europe ovens are mostly convection? This was news to me--and why not in America? I've never even heard of a stove here having a fan! We just get sucked into buying another countertop appliance!
My sister's oven is a convection oven. I think she got it when they remodeled their kitchen like 20 years ago. She hardly uses it for anything. mostly its the place she stores her baking pans.

• Haha
My sister's oven is a convection oven. I think she got it when they remodeled their kitchen like 20 years ago. She hardly uses it for anything. mostly its the place she stores her baking pans.
I looked them up on Lowes site, and thought they must be really high end, so I checked on the reg gas ovens .... :dizzy: Holy smokes! $1000. for an oven??? Mine better never die! I can do with a burner and IP if I have to o_O, I just don't want to

Ok, you can get a gas range for 450. It says 4.5 cu ft, I guess that small?

sounds like my dishwasher - I use it for all my tupperware type items

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Haha
Reactions: Lou