Question regarding Air Fryer

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Am asking for guidance to you good folks who possibly have experiences with using air fryers as less unhealthy alternative to prepare a fry.

We have been looking at getting an air fryer ... but here's the catch: I am the only vegan in my family.

So when we make a fry-up, I typically use two skillets, one for the vegan stuff, and another one for the carnist fare. So typically tofu "fish" fingers in one skillet for myself and the other one with poor aquatic creatures for the rest of the family, or, in case of "Schnitzel day", one skillet for my own vegan Schnitzel and my younger son's veg Cordon bleu (filled with cheese but vegan on the outside), and the pig remains for my wife and my older son in the other skillet.

Of course, I would not think of preparing all those dishes in one skillet, or in one deep fryer due to my fear of cross-contamination (taste wise and otherwise).

So ... I assume it would that be the same for an air fryer? Would vegan food that gets fried in it take on the taste and other substances from non veg options fried at the same time? How does this work? If one prepares chicken and fries at the same time, do the fries get saturated with the taste and juices of the chicken?
How long does it typically take to prepare a dish? Would it be an idea to prepare the veg food and fries first, and the non-veg food afterwards? Or do we need two small, cheap air-fryers, or an air-fryer and a skillet, to prepare everything at the same time?

Best regards,
Andy

Am asking for guidance to you good folks who possibly have experiences with using air fryers as less unhealthy alternative to prepare a fry.

We have been looking at getting an air fryer ... but here's the catch: I am the only vegan in my family.

So when we make a fry-up, I typically use two skillets, one for the vegan stuff, and another one for the carnist fare. So typically tofu "fish" fingers in one skillet for myself and the other one with poor aquatic creatures for the rest of the family, or, in case of "Schnitzel day", one skillet for my own vegan Schnitzel and my younger son's veg Cordon bleu (filled with cheese but vegan on the outside), and the pig remains for my wife and my older son in the other skillet.

Of course, I would not think of preparing all those dishes in one skillet, or in one deep fryer due to my fear of cross-contamination (taste wise and otherwise).

So ... I assume it would that be the same for an air fryer? Would vegan food that gets fried in it take on the taste and other substances from non veg options fried at the same time? How does this work? If one prepares chicken and fries at the same time, do the fries get saturated with the taste and juices of the chicken?
How long does it typically take to prepare a dish? Would it be an idea to prepare the veg food and fries first, and the non-veg food afterwards? Or do we need two small, cheap air-fryers, or an air-fryer and a skillet, to prepare everything at the same time?

Best regards,
Andy

I have the small version of the Cook's essential air fryer and I use it virtually every day. Not only does it air fry but can be used as an oven. There is no pre heating and the food cooks very quickly.
However, if you are planning on cooking omni and vegan food you will have not only the taste but juices from the food that will mingle. The technology used is a type of circulating hot air system.

If you plan to buy one and cook each meal separately, you would have to clean the air fryer each time you use it. That would be painstaking plus do you really fancy vegan food cooked in an omni fryer ?

The small version serves two to three people so perhaps, it would be better buying two small ones rather than the new XL version that they have just put onto the market.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Cooks-Essentials-35L-1500W-Air-Fryer

Thank you for your feedback, just as I was fearing.
All the ones I see in the offers are typically small ones anyway...

Hmmm.... so now I have to convince my wife to not buy one, but two air fryers ... :???:

I was hoping it was easy to clean and possible to completely remove any residues of animal products. Then it would be possible to start with frying the veg stuff, and once it is done, do the non-veg stuff, and thoroughly clean it afterwards.

But I understand that omnivores likely do not care as much whether you really can remove every last drop of used oil from the machine, while vegans and vegetarians do care a lot.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback, just as I was fearing.
All the ones I see in the offers are typically small ones anyway...

Did you google up the one on QVC co uk - cook's essentials ? You have an XL one which looks like it'll feed 3. You could
buy yourself the smaller version which I have. It really is a godsend.

I was looking at the offers we have here in Germany at Aldi and shops right now (some are selling as low as the equivalent of 45 GBP), and from that ones wanted to check if the larger ones (that are more expensive) make sense.

I’ve been looking at the Secura which comes in at #2 in the top ten air fryers. It’s been in my amazon cart for awhile. I just haven’t been able to take the plunge yet. Maybe I’ll have my daughters get it for me for my February birthday.

Top 10 Air Fryers of 2018 - Best Reviews Guide

I’ve been looking at the Secura which comes in at #2 in the top ten air fryers. It’s been in my amazon cart for awhile. I just haven’t been able to take the plunge yet. Maybe I’ll have my daughters get it for me for my February birthday.

Top 10 Air Fryers of 2018 - Best Reviews Guide

They are expensive but in the long run, they use less energy. Moreover, it's far quicker to make some chips, roast cauliflower, sweet potatoes ( or other) and heat up food rather than turning on a standard oven. :yes:
I have a fan assisted oven and it takes quite a long time to heat up.
I also bake individual pies in my air fryer and they taste really good. The pastry is light and golden brown in colour. It's just a question of getting used to how to use it.

Reactions: Val
I have just made a batch of roast cauliflower, 2 apple crumbles and 2 individual apple pies in the air fryer. It only takes a fraction of the time and uses little electricity compared to a big oven.

Reactions: Val
No...I decided against it for now. Maybe after (if) I move. :)

My kids have found out that they can bake frozen pizza in the air fryer in about 5 minutes - their new favourite fast food ...

Reactions: KLS52
I got a “Princess XXL” airfryer and so far love it, e.g. for potato varieties, filled croissants, small cakes and even lasagna.

Reactions: KLS52
I did get an air fryer for my birthday. :)
I mostly like it a lot. I think I had a misconception that it would cook faster than it does. I cook the American harvest frozen pizza in there and it takes 10 minutes. But the results are amazing. I’m still a little leary of it...not sure what will be good if it’s cooked in there. Last night I tried a sweet potato...it seemed to take forever. Almost half an hour. I thought that was a little odd. Maybe I have one that isn’t very powerful? Kind of like how microwaves come in different wattages?

I did roast the garlic in there the other night. That took 40 minutes! I thought that was a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I did get an air fryer for my birthday. :)
I mostly like it a lot. I think I had a misconception that it would cook faster than it does. I cook the American harvest frozen pizza in there and it takes 10 minutes. But the results are amazing. I’m still a little leary of it...not sure what will be good if it’s cooked in there. Last night I tried a sweet potato...it seemed to take forever. Almost half an hour. I thought that was a little odd. Maybe I have one that isn’t very powerful? Kind of like how microwaves come in different wattages?

I did roast the garlic in there the other night. That took 40 minutes! I thought that was a long time.

It should cook quicker than a conventional oven as there is virtually no heating up time. Potatoes usually are very long to bake in the oven and I always tend to microwave them. You could always part microwave and finish the rest of the cooking time in the AF.

I use mine far more often than my oven as I tend to make lots of vegetable dishes and also use it to heat up food. I find the most tricky thing when it comes to baking. The end result isn't always the best and I usually make a mini cake. On the other hand basic puddings such as crumble, cobbler and sticky toffee pudding come out fine.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I just did another potato. This time I tried cutting it in quarters, drizzled a little olive oil, sprinkled with salt/pepper and wrapped it in parchment then foil. It cooked quicker and came out really good.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas