Defending the crop deaths allegation

(Graeme's original post only partially quoted- bold emphasis mine) Hmmm... although sugar cane doesn't provide a food absolutely necessary for survival (table sugar), it does provide calories- and we do need those, even though for those of us in "developed" countries, calories are usually easy to come by! Therefore, I don't see a truly significant difference between growing sugar cane or crops such as beans, wheat, spinach, kale, tomatoes, etc.

To an extent, this would be my argument. But it is essentially an argument from ignorance, I think. Whatever we eat has a cost. The fact that we don't know that cost is what prevents us making better choices. On the face of it, whether I eat kale or sugar for the given calories doesn't matter if I don't know the cost. We would have to be able to show one as worse than the other before it would matter. But still, the question remains. As vegans, isn't our job to prevent unnecessary cruelty and suffering whenever we can? If I did know that sugar causes more suffering and death than kale for the same calories, am I not under an obligation to not eat sugar? My answer is yes, but in the absence of the information I need to make a judgement, I don't need to worry about this. That does rather open me up to empirical claims that demonstrate I DO need to worry, though.
(Italic emphasis mine) In this case, it appears to me that the death toll to animals as a consequence of vegan food production needs to be accurately quantified for different foods/crops before we can have a meaningful discussion of this topic. For now, perhaps it can at least be argued that wasting food is not vegan.

I agree that incidental deaths matter, and should not be disregarded because they are unintended. However, I would argue that it is invalid to argue that humans should show greater concern for animals on cropland than for motorists. I would also argue that defending one's food supply is a matter of survival- not convenience.

Just to clarify, I am not so much worried about unintended harms, but rather the intended harms from managing pests. Which, if we count invertebrate species, is a very large number. There also seems to be a difference between driving a motor vehicle and intentionally shooting wild animals, baiting mice and spraying crops with pesticides. The non-vegans are saying something equivalent to this: We all drive motor vehicles so we are all causing many animals to die unintentionally. And we are all causing animals to suffer and die for our food. Why do I need to worry about the ones killed for MY food when you aren't worrying about the ones killed for YOUR food? Why does it not matter in regard to driving cars but it does in food production?
As I mentioned in my post, food is a necessity. The original definition of veganism mentioned the avoidance of harm to animals, insofar as it is possible- hence my comment about wasting food not being vegan. And yes: there is a difference between driving and hunting, etc- just as (I think) accidentally killing someone with a car is considered differently than deliberately shooting them or running them over.

Last edited:
But the truth is that the majority of pests killed in agriculture are killed for meat production.
I don't think this is true. Globally, most crops are grown for human use, even soy. Around 60-70% of global crops are sown for human use. Perhaps 20-30% is for animal feed directly. Sure, when land is cleared for grazing or crops, animals are killed etc, but as an ongoing production system, my stats above are about right.

However, that isn't really what I was asking about. I agree that if we eliminated animal farming, we *might* reduce somewhat the number of animals killed to grow crops. The problem I am getting at is two-fold. First, it is hard to argue in favour of some least harm strategy when plant-based diets also cause great harm. Secondly, it seems reasonable to argue that eating non-essential foods for reasons of pleasure is immoral when animals are killed to do this. Earthling Ed recently posted a video in which he makes that exact statement. I honestly don't know an easy way to refute these charges.

My response to the first problem - least harm - is that we aren't seeking to do least harm as our primary duty. Rather we are seeking to prevent the unnecessary exploitation of and cruelty to other species. But like I said, that seems to go over most peoples' heads.

My response to the second - unnecessary harms from food choices - is better. If we don't know, calorie for calorie, the cost of the various plant foods we eat, then we have no particular duty to worry about those choices. The worry of course is if we CAN find out the cost.

Here is an example of a discussion I having elsewhere right now:

The question. How can you cry least possible harm, when you too pay for unnecessary harm ?? That is the question.
No one has answered how they can claim they cause LEAST POSSIBLE HARM, when they PAY FOR UNNECESSARY HARM.
It is a literal contradiction. Hypocrisy
They don’t answer. YOU can’t answer. You all basically say, “I know you are but what am i?” That’s not an answer.
I’ve been on your round about of the true meaning of Veganism. And you eventually agreed it boils down to least possible harm. Which ever way you address it.
So. Can you tell me, does least possible harm include deliberately causing unnecessary harm ??

Incidentally, I did not agree it comes down to least harm, this was an inference this person made. His point is simple enough, we don't need to know the details. All we need to know is that eating sugar is unnecessary and causes animals to be killed. Therefore, by vegan logic, we shouldn't do so. I rather feel he has a point because nearly all vegans claim veganism is about not causing unnecessary harm, suffering and death.

In this case, it appears to me that the death toll to animals as a consequence of vegan food production needs to be accurately quantified for different foods/crops before we can have a meaningful discussion of this topic. For now, perhaps it can at least be argued that wasting food is not vegan.
Yes, this is my strategy. But it does rather fail considered plainly as per my example in my comment immediately above. Is it moral for vegans to buy foods they don't need, knowing animals are harmed and killed to grow those foods? If so, then isn't the entire premise for veganism flawed? And if it is flawed, then why is anyone under any obligation to take it seriously?

Yes, this is my strategy. But it does rather fail considered plainly as per my example in my comment immediately above. Is it moral for vegans to buy foods they don't need, knowing animals are harmed and killed to grow those foods? If so, then isn't the entire premise for veganism flawed? And if it is flawed, then why is anyone under any obligation to take it seriously?

You haven't specified what foods vegans are buying that they don't need?. Give us a list.

We can't do everything. We can do as much as possible to ensure that the produce we use and consume comes from responsible sources, and work toward more organic, veganic farming methods.
We're all trying to do as much as possible, and to cause as little harm and exploitation as possible.
Better to learn new techniques and practices, put them to use and share them among other vegans than to infight on degrees of noncompliance with an impossible ideal.

Last edited:
You haven't specified what foods vegans are buying that they don't need?. Give us a list.
Any food consumed for pleasure rather than for a nutritional requirement. Now of course, that's an unfair stance to take, but it isn't me taking it. I am saying that is what non-vegans are getting at. Vegans are the ones saying that we shouldn't do things that are for pleasure but which cause harm and death to other species. So, coffee, wine, sodas, cakes, burgers, sugar, ice-cream, chocolate, the list is endless. What is the reason for vegans eating these foods when their production requires many animals to be poisoned/shot, suffer and die?

Better to learn new techniques and practices, put them to use and share them among other vegans than to infight on degrees of noncompliance with an impossible ideal.
I'm not "infighting" nor criticising vegans, I am reporting what non-vegans claim and asking how to counter their claims. I think the points I refer to above are very good ones, and I confess I can't offer good defences. Earthling Ed makes the argument that as vegans, we are concerned with the wellbeing of individual animals - our moral duty refers to each creature we use or harm unnecessarily. If the foods we eat are unnecessary and individual animals are harmed or killed for their production, we seem to be under a duty not to buy those foods. That is what vegans argue when it comes to cows, why isn't it the same when it comes to pest animals? Because mice and insects don't count?

Incidentally, that is my position - they don't count that much because our concern is with exploitation of sentient beings and preventing unnecessary cruelty towards them. Insects may not be sentient enough, and rodents are r-selected species so we owe them individually less of a moral duty. Therefore, defending our crops against pests is morally acceptable, even when the foods are not strictly necessary. I don't get very far arguing that way, though.

Any food consumed for pleasure rather than for a nutritional requirement. Now of course, that's an unfair stance to take, but it isn't me taking it. I am saying that is what non-vegans are getting at. Vegans are the ones saying that we shouldn't do things that are for pleasure but which cause harm and death to other species. So, coffee, wine, sodas, cakes, burgers, sugar, ice-cream, chocolate, the list is endless. What is the reason for vegans eating these foods when their production requires many animals to be poisoned/shot, suffer and die?

And Down the Rabbit Hole he goes.

I'm quitting veganism. I'm starting a new lifestyle called perfectanism. Like vegans we aim to reduce animal suffering, and we do this by bending over backwards to meet every unreasonable standard made up by people arguing against perfectanism.

Sure no one else is going to want to become perfectan, and will therefore do almost nothing to move society away from animal exploitation, but damn am I gonna win some internet arguments when I tell everyone how perfect I am.

And Down the Rabbit Hole he goes.
That is hardly helpful. What is your explanation for why vegans can choose to buy foods they don't need but merely enjoy, if animals are killed to produce them? Again, I personally don't worry about this, but non-vegans do. So what is the answer I should offer to them?

I'm quitting veganism. I'm starting a new lifestyle called perfectanism. Like vegans we aim to reduce animal suffering, and we do this by bending over backwards to meet every unreasonable standard made up by people arguing against perfectanism.

Sure no one else is going to want to become perfectan, and will therefore do almost nothing to move society away from animal exploitation, but damn am I gonna win some internet arguments when I tell everyone how perfect I am.

I think people starve to death on that diet.

That is hardly helpful. What is your explanation for why vegans can choose to buy foods they don't need but merely enjoy, if animals are killed to produce them? Again, I personally don't worry about this, but non-vegans do. So what is the answer I should offer to them?

I don't need to offer any explanation to non vegans because I don't feel the need to argue about everything.

I'm not out there punching people in the face with my diet. I've been a vegan for 43 years. If asked, I respond.

Last edited:
Actually.... I struggle with that quite a bit myself.
Coffee for instance. Not really a necessity but I really enjoy it. and there is so many things wrong with the cultivation of it. It would probably be best if I didn't buy any coffee at all but I'm not willing to go that far, so instead I buy free trade organic shade grown coffee.

Same with chocolate - I could go and not buy any. instead I buy Vegan and Free Trade chocolates.

I guess one way too look at it is that it's a spectrum. Sustainability, social responsibility, environmental protection and animal rights are all part of the equation. So is my health, comfort, expenses, and conscious.

the nice thing (from my point of view) is that veganism has a lot of the good stuff without costing me too much or affecting me negatively too much.

And I suppose the guys Graeme is arguing with just see veganism as too much for too little.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L. and Graeme M
I'm not out there punching people in the face with my diet. I've been a vegan for 43 years. If asked, I respond.
I follow a few of the vegan advocates who post on social media. These are the sorts of responses non-vegans make to them. Sometimes, I jump in and try to defend veganism. If veganism is just a diet and it doesn't matter what other people eat or do then I agree with you. If it's a bit more than that, as the advocates make out, then I think you are wrong. Because then we want to sell it to others. I think that's what most vegans do. If they didn't, farmers wouldn't complain when thousands of vegans arrive on their socials criticising and harrassing them. And I wouldn't see activists protesting at abattoirs or greyhound races.
And I suppose the guys Graeme is arguing with just see veganism as too much for too little.
I think they see it as inconsistent and hypocritical. It's hard to counter that when it does rather look like it is. I honestly have no answer to the charge that vegans are behaving immorally when they buy things they don't need to and animals are harmed to do that. My explanation about defending food from pests and the reproductive strategies of some pest species has nothing to say about that.

Actually.... I struggle with that quite a bit myself.
Coffee for instance. Not really a necessity but I really enjoy it. and there is so many things wrong with the cultivation of it. It would probably be best if I didn't buy any coffee at all but I'm not willing to go that far, so instead I buy free trade organic shade grown coffee.

Same with chocolate - I could go and not buy any. instead I buy Vegan and Free Trade chocolates.

I guess one way too look at it is that it's a spectrum. Sustainability, social responsibility, environmental protection and animal rights are all part of the equation. So is my health, comfort, expenses, and conscious.

the nice thing (from my point of view) is that veganism has a lot of the good stuff without costing me too much or affecting me negatively too much.

It is doing the best we can. I try as much as possible to to reduce my use of plastics by shopping local at farmer's markets, CSAs, local co-op, etc, but winter in Wisconsin makes that kind of tough. I buy my winter frozen veggies from a local group that freezes local summer produce and sells it, but it comes in plastic bags.

I use cloth produce bags and cloth shopping bags.

This is somewhat similar to the argument about whether we can be completely perfect vegans. And if we can't should we even try. My answer is yes, we should try.

When someone asks me if it would help the world if they reduced their consumption of animal products by 50%; I say yes. And I salute them for making the change. I can imagine the benefit if the everyone stopped eating animal products 3 or 4 days a week. If only 25% of the croplands were dedicated to animal agriculture, rather than 55% it would be an enormous change.

I make lots of changes based on whether cruelty or exploitation is involved. I try to stay away from coconut products because I watched a documentary on primates being forced labor in the coconut industry. Fair trade shade grown coffee. My milk is made with pea protein because of the issues with coconuts and almonds.

What it comes to is that we do the best we can; and I don't ask anybody to do more than that.

First, it is hard to argue in favour of some least harm strategy when plant-based diets also cause great harm.

The question. How can you cry least possible harm, when you too pay for unnecessary harm ??

This is a classic bait-and-switch tactic. The argument that I made is that meat production causes more animal deaths per unit of food consumed than vegetable production. No one has attempted to refute this, because it is irrefutable. Meat-eaters (and you in bringing their arguments here) simply sweep it under the carpet and change the subject.

You change the subject when you change the "less harm" rationale for being vegan to "least possible harm". I cause less harm being vegan than I would if I ate meat. Therefore, being vegan is preferable. QED.

Is it the "least possible" harm? Probably not. So, could I do better? Indubitably. Yet that is not an argument that can support meat-eating. The meat-eaters' argument boils down to "You're not perfect, so I'll do what I want", which frankly is on the level of a four-year-old.

ok, I'm back.
I am seeing some frustration from some of the posters. Actually I'm feeling frustrated a bit too. But first off I don't see this kind of discussion as pointless. Even if we never convince a non vegan to go vegan with these arguments - I think the arguments themselves serve a purpose in clarifying our own reasons and developing our reasoning.

This has come up before. I may have mentioned in a similar thread. But there use to be on the internet an article. I'm pretty sure it was on FreeFromHarm or OneGreenPlanet. It was titled something like Rebuttals to the Most Common Arguments. If my memory serves me right it has some great answers. I think PETA has something like this too. If anyone has better google skills than I, perhaps they can find it and post it here.

The closest thing I can find to it is this.

And I'm just going to copy and paste the relevant part of this article. And I realize that its answer is more general that what Graeme is looking for - well its a good rebuttal nevertheless.

Vegans kill more animals through harvesting

It’s true that small mammals, such as mice, are killed during the process of harvesting. This is unfortunate, and we’d like to live in a world where this isn’t the case. However, it is incorrect to claim that vegans kill more of anything, plants included. The reality is that most crops are fed to livestock, who are then turned into meat and animal products at a fraction of the calories, which non-vegans then consume. There is necessarily energy lost in the process: cows, pigs, and chickens all have vital organs, nervous systems, and all sorts of other body functions that utilize the energy they obtain from food. Only some of that energy is converted into meat. As a result, someone who eats, say, 1,000 calories of meat has necessitated the harvest of 10,000 calories (in fact, probably more) in the form of crops. And because harvesting inevitably kills some number of small mammals, more harvesting — as is required by a non-vegan diet — causes more deaths.

BTW, Conspiracy also made this argument. And they even hast statistics and references.

Still googling. found this answer and I like it, too.

“Animals die in crop harvesting.”

(Red Herring fallacy.)

“You’re right, and I’m glad you brought this up because it is actually an argument FOR veganism, not against it… Yes, some animals do die in crop harvesting, but do you realise that about ten times more crops are harvested to feed the 50+ billion land animals we raise for food every year than if we were just harvesting food for the 7 billion humans?”

“Do you actually care about animals lives or are you just trying to justify your current lifestyle? While there will be casualties in crop harvesting, and of course we would all prefer there were not, going vegan is still the least harmful thing we can do.”

'nuff said?

There are some points there that prompt self examination, for sure...

Written while drinking a cup of coffee...🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I think the answer as I see it to the "least harm" problem is a non-answer in the sense there is no way to refute this particular claim. Kathy and Lou above try to make the case from some overall standpoint, which of course is likely to be true. But it isn't true from an individual's point of view because it is quite possible to do less harm while eating animals, especially if we ARE worried about invertebrate pests killed by pesticides. I once calculated the number of people fed per year from two livestock farmers outputs versus crop outputs. Australia may not be the same as the US - many of our cattle are grazed on natural pasture with little supplemental feeding much of the time and don't end up in feedlots. The first farmer grazes cattle in Western Australia on marginal rangelands. He does kill some pests, but mostly kangaroos, camels and dogs. On a year's output from his farm, more people are fed per animal killed than if I were to do so from a crop of say lentils or chickpeas. In the second case, a sheep and cattle farmer from nearby my home, the lady in question runs her stock on natural pasture with some supplemental feed, mostly from local hay. In this case, more people were fed per animal killed for the crop-based diet. Both cases were fairly close, I can't recall but the difference between all diets was small. The point being that yes, you *can* consume animals and do least harm. It just depends somewhat. But in all cases, I did not count insects and rodents killed by pest management. In that case, it was far, far better to eat the meat. So, why would a vegan eat the plant food? Because we are NOT seeking to do least harm as a prime ethical directive (as Lou has pointed out before). Yet, most vegans think we are and that is what they argue, opening themselves up to criticism that they fail to adequately rebut. That is why the correct answer is a non-answer, because it's true - one can do least harm by buying meat from a farm or whatever. But that is not our main concern as vegans. It just may be a problem we have to live with.

Also, recently I spent quite a bit of time trying to unravel the "most crops are fed to animals" claim. I don't believe it to be true, not everywhere. It *might* be true in the US, it probably is not true in Australia. And certainly not in the UK. Globally, most figures seem to agree that about 30-35% of all crops grown are fed to livestock. But "fed to livestock" doesn't mean "grown to feed to livestock". In fact, a great proportion of all crops grown globally are for human use. About 60-70% (67% by one estimate), about 9% for industrial use (eg biofuels) and just 20-30% (about 24% on one estimate) are grown specifically to feed stock. So, most of the animals killed to grow crops are killed growing crops for people. It remains true however, while so long as *some* crops are fed directly to livestock, that a plants only ag system should result in fewer animals killed overall. But, again, only if the replacement system doesn't use more land to grow crops than the current system. That might be a marginal call, but I think we are on safe ground here.

The problem of discretionary foods. No-one above has actually tackled this. I think there is no good answer. IF we are only worried about "least harm" or preventing animals from being killed, then we are in the wrong whenever we buy things that we don't need but which cause other animals to suffer and die. It is difficult to see why, when Earthling Ed clearly tells us we are wrong to buy things we don't need and that each individual animal counts morally, we are doing any better than the person who eats a fish he caught because it tastes good (as per the EE video I refer to above). All that saves us, I suspect, is that we aren't really trying to do least harm but rather to prevent exploitation and that perhaps as I have suggested, we have the right to kill pests and that many pest species don't count individually, contrary to Ed's proposition. Some species don't count, end of story. But still, as compassionate people, we do hope to care about those species too, which is why I relocate house mice, don't step on ants and leave the spiders be. Nonetheless, even in this condition, it does seem strange to worry about ants and mice while I buy foods I don't need which could be causing hundreds or thousands of animals to die and globally perhaps trillions.

Sooo... I don't have great answers, and there doesn't seem to any easy succinct answers. At least, not the way I see it. Somehow, one has to be convinced of something like veganism before one can see a way clear of these charges. And even then, perhaps, one has to accept that just like everyone else, vegans do cause things to be harmed and killed, often in very large numbers. Which we all knew anyway. We just don't think it's the kind of problem that should cause us to give up seeking to do better. But... I don't think we have the kind of knock-down rebuttals that can actually defuse these charges. I am really disappointed by the "discretionary" foods one because I think it is one time where a vegan just has to go "guilty as charged". And then the non-vegan just tells you what a hypocrite you and all the other vegans are and dismisses the whole beautiful idea of veganism.

I follow a few of the vegan advocates who post on social media. These are the sorts of responses non-vegans make to them. Sometimes, I jump in and try to defend veganism. If veganism is just a diet and it doesn't matter what other people eat or do then I agree with you. If it's a bit more than that, as the advocates make out, then I think you are wrong. Because then we want to sell it to others. I think that's what most vegans do. If they didn't, farmers wouldn't complain when thousands of vegans arrive on their socials criticising and harrassing them. And I wouldn't see activists protesting at abattoirs or greyhound races.

I think they see it as inconsistent and hypocritical. It's hard to counter that when it does rather look like it is. I honestly have no answer to the charge that vegans are behaving immorally when they buy things they don't need to and animals are harmed to do that. My explanation about defending food from pests and the reproductive strategies of some pest species has nothing to say about that.
If I were in this convo irl I would using swear words by this point, FYI.
You need to stop.IMO you are doing more harm than good. Like answering a toddlers asking 'why' over and over.

I only see in your figures the deaths caused by food production, but not the animals killed for food.

The problem of discretionary foods. No-one above has actually tackled this. I think there is no good answer. IF we are only worried about "least harm" or preventing animals from being killed, then we are in the wrong whenever we buy things that we don't need but which cause other animals to suffer and die. It is difficult to see why, when Earthling Ed clearly tells us we are wrong to buy things we don't need and that each individual animal counts morally, we are doing any better than the person who eats a fish he caught because it tastes good (as per the EE video I refer to above). All that saves us, I suspect, is that we aren't really trying to do least harm but rather to prevent exploitation and that perhaps as I have suggested, we have the right to kill pests and that many pest species don't count individually, contrary to Ed's proposition. Some species don't count, end of story. But still, as compassionate people, we do hope to care about those species too, which is why I relocate house mice, don't step on ants and leave the spiders be. Nonetheless, even in this condition, it does seem strange to worry about ants and mice while I buy foods I don't need which could be causing hundreds or thousands of animals to die and globally perhaps trillions.
Again, we may be consuming foods and thing we don't need to survive, but we are not anywhere near the destructive production of
products that not only directly cause deaths, but a leading cause of climate change, respiratory illness, cancers... You're comparing "foods I don't need which could be causing hundreds or thousands of animals to die and globally perhaps trillions." is actually quite laughable compared to those eating animals and their products. It's like saying someone 10 pounds overweight is just as bad as someone who weighs 600 lbs

You're ridiculous IMO
You have yet to even address the many options of crop production that do not involve open land and use modern methods

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W