Pigeons killed on farms

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I heard that pigeons are killed as part of pest control on crop farms. I absolutely love pigeons. They’re one of my favourite animals. Is there a way of buying crop products that doesn’t support farms that kill pigeons?
Thanks.

Hello đź‘‹,
I heard that pigeons are killed as part of pest control on crop farms. I absolutely love pigeons. They’re one of my favourite animals. Is there a way of buying crop products that doesn’t support farms that kill pigeons?
Thanks.

I can't recall ever seeing pigeon anywhere but in cities.

Pigeons? never heard of it but birds to consume grains.
The USDA has had a "war on wildlife" for 30 years. They have slaughtered many many millions of animals in that time including
wolves, coyotes, bears, foxes, prairie dogs, and millions of birds. They kill these animals largely to "protect" cattle ranching. See this
documentary...https://predatordefense.org/exposed/index.htm

Birds and other pests are definitely killed to protect crops but to what extent I do not know. I recall reading a US government publication that records numbers of pest animals killed but it depended on self-reporting so likely under reported. This article suggests that pigeons are not protected species in the US so presumably farmers do shoot them. In the UK a special licence is required called the "Wild birds: licence to kill, take or disturb to prevent disease or agricultural damage (A08)".

How would you buy foods grown by farmers who do not control pigeons? I have no idea. Unfortunately, pest control is simply a part of crop farming but the extent is hard to know. What studies have been done tend to suggest that numbers are low on a per hectare basis, but who knows. One thing to consider is that your personal share of a crop's yield will be very, very small, so your direct contribution is likewise very small.

They kill these animals largely to "protect" cattle ranching.
That might be true but given there are millions of hectares of crops, I suspect pest control is still a big issue on those farms as well. Crops are always at significant risk from pest species.