News Plant-Based Butter Is Taking Over The Dairy Aisle

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
First off, I strongly suspect that someone on the Forbes editorial staff is vegan. It seems like a week doesn't go by that they don't have an article about something vegan or at least includes the word plant-based.

Yes, Plant-based butter is just a re-branding of margarine. But as most of already know, many margarines do include some dairy. Plant-based butters don't. Plus most of these new-fangled plant-based butters are lower in Trans fat and saturated fats than old fashioned margarine. Quoting the article.

One of the main differences between plant-based alternatives and butter and margarine are the social and environmental values that come with the former.​
“There are multitudinous personal values and unprecedented eco pressures shaping our culture, and those that are manifesting in food choices lean toward plant-based eco-relevant options. Plant-based butters are not emerging in isolation,” says Jim Richards, CEO of Milkadamia.​

Anyway, it's a good read with lots of positive things to say about plant-based foods over diary. Like this statement

“Choosing a plant-based diet is one of the best things you can do for the environment as plant-based diets are kind to the earth and kind to animals,” says Rob Leibowitz, chief executive of Kite Hill. “And plants are the first ingredients in our plant-based butter alternative.”​

I'd been using vegan mayo mostly, but Country Crock plant based almond oil is so good! I also got to try the olive oil one, but the almond was better IMO. They also have sticks.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I've been using Earth Balance with Omega 3 (in the tub) - mostly for recipes that ask for butter
80 calories, 2.5 sat fat, 21% RDA of omega 3

Just bought I Can't Believe It's Not Butter It's Vegan (in the tub)
60 calories, 2 sat fat, 18% RDA of omega 3.

They both taste the same. Slightly salty. The second one has fewer ingredients, and has a nicer texture - but that might because it's fresher. Both contain some palm oil.

• Informative
Miyoko has a cultured butter that actually tastes really good. I rarely use the stuff, except for recipes, like Lou, but I am definitely going to indulge in an ear or two of corn when it comes in season here.

I used to make vegan buttah, based on Miyokos recipe, using refined coconut oil, soy lecithin...in a food processor. So messy though!
The first batch we went through pretty quickly, the next ones I had to divide and freeze as they didn't seem to keep long enough, so I quit.
I have to say, vegan mayo is still my favorite sub--also for corn on the corn with nooch!...and potatoes

• Friendly
I buy I Can't Believe It's Not Butter vegan version most of the time but if something else is on the buy one get one free deal I will get that. The Country Crock ones are pretty good but not that great a value as the containers are smaller. I happen to have both on hand.

IMG_20200429_183245.jpg

I used to buy Pure margarine but I have switched over to Flora as they have made all their margarines vegan now.

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
I buy I Can't Believe It's Not Butter vegan version most of the time but if something else is on the buy one get one free deal I will get that. The Country Crock ones are pretty good but not that great a value as the containers are smaller. I happen to have both on hand.

View attachment 20787
I have been wanting to try the Country Crock plant butter. I tried the one made by I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but I didn't care for it. I'm still using Earth Balance for the most part.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have been wanting to try the Country Crock plant butter. I tried the one made by I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but I didn't care for it. I'm still using Earth Balance for the most part.
I got to try Country crock almond and olive as they were actually freebies at the store I hate, but will get when their bonus items! I liked the almond oil better. They were both a bit too salty, I would like to try the sticks for baking. I went there a while back to get more and they completely sold out
They have a $1 off coupon you can download-

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Was disappointed walmart didn’t have earth balance, they had country crock so I got that.

Hmm. If you hold your head at an angle and squint.... I think I can see an interesting paradigm shift. Although the article uses the term "plant-based butter" 38 times, the author does slip up and uses the word "vegan" once.

And at least two of the products use the word "vegan" right on the package.
For the longest time, "Vegan" was taboo according to marketing departments.
Margarine is out. Plant-based butter is in.
It's nice to see that "vegan" is hanging around the edges.

Reactions: Veganite
I found Aldi Better than Butter is now vegan in my store. The one in the yellow container. It used to have either D or dairy, but now it doesn't. Aldi is like that- ingredients change all the time, and they're regional.
Not saying it's the best-not bad though- and I wasn't going to the Giant Eagle again to be disappointed!

I think it's more like "plant based butter flying off the shelves"
I only go to stores other than Aldi for certain things, like buttah and vegan mayo and cheese. Country Crock is my favorite and they're always out!
Today Giant Eagle had it on sale,and I did get two packs of the olive oil sticks--loads of avocado oil sticks :yuck:. No almond oil ones, what I wanted, and no tubs of anything!
Anyway, I'm happy to have it in the freezer!

Reactions: Lou
I use Miyoko's and Country Crock vegan butter sticks. I would try the other ones, but they are in the plastic tubs.