What's in Your Fruit Bowl ?

Down under ,the supermarket’s don’t mind if you try the different varieties in the shop before you buy
Well that’s what I do anyway 😎
I take a test grape if no one is around. Sometimes I take a bag of grapes and put it in my cart then as I’m walking around, I’ll sneak one to make sure it’s good. If it’s not, I go and put the bag back. I feel like that should be allowed…trying a grape before buying them. I haven’t bought any recently because I usually take a small “feel” through the bag to see if they are firm. I need my grapes to be hard and crunchy. They have been soft lately. That’s a no go for me.

Reactions: Tom L.
The last watermelon I had wasn't nice. They are expensive too.

All I have is two apples and bananas.

I saw a TikTok that said it should have dark green color, two finger widths between the stripes, and a decent size yellow patch from where it lies on the ground. I bought my first whole seedless watermelon for $5 yesterday using these tips. And hit the jackpot. I’m not fooled into thinking this will work every time. I think I got lucky. But then it could be a good crop because I’ve been paying $5 for the cut quarter pieces and got tired of paying so much money. But at least I can see what the inside looks like and they have all been really good. So I’m sure it must be a good crop for the whole one to be really good too.
Uh yeah,,,,,,,me too....... :brood:

I always pick watermelon based on those exact recommendations.
I came here specificly to gripe about yet a second melon of the season that's tasteless and rubbery :pout:
Let me describe it: It was a dark green color with stripes that were two finger widths apart. A yellow "field patch" on one side, with some webbing. It had a hollow sound when thumped, and a good weight
It was on sale for $3.99, and not so bad that it won't be eaten,my son is far less picky. I'll freeze some and blend with powdered sugar and lemon

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I forgot to think it lol. I’m sure I got lucky. But like I said, odds were in my favor because the cut ones looked good.

I returned a whole watermelon once. I was so mad. It was $6 and totally inedible. It was barely even pink inside. So gross. They gave me no problem refunding my money. It was visibly bad.

Next time I'm gonna just cut the end off and make a judgement.
I am going to email the store

Apples and two grapefruit. I couldn't make it to my local farmer's market last weekend, or I would have had some of the more unusual (though not exactly rare) varieties of apples.

(I don't understand why Evercrisp apples are so expensive. They ARE good, but I like my standby, go-to varieties- Cortland, Empire, and Golden Delicious- just as much.)

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Just one apple and an avocado. I have frozen blueberries and I'm keeping the bananas in the fridge.

One Blondee* apple. There was also a navel orange in there last night, but I ate it this morning.

(*- One of the vendors at my local farmers' market has an amazing variety of unusual or heirloom varieties of apple, along with the more common kinds you get in a supermarket. At least, I wasn't familiar with them. This one looks somewhat like a Golden Delicious apple- yellow when ripe- except that it has a more conventional, rounder shape than Delicious or Golden Delicious have. This vendor often has notes on the boxes with the different varieties, telling you something about that variety's origin and taste.)

I still have watermelon, pineapple and grapes.

Finally have a good watermelon!
Kiwis--too many kiwis really
I got lucky with this one too. I waited about a week and a half after returning that other one. This one is really good.

I got lucky with this one too. I waited about a week and a half after returning that other one. This one is really good.
How do you store watermelon? I usually cut half and keep in a rubbermaid container, and drain the juice as I go. It seem like it would keep better if it were raised from it's juice?
When It's good it really never lasts long,but this one seems to be going faster.Maybe because it fell off the counter and went splat on the floor :joy:

I cut it in quarters and store in plastic bags. This one is lasting awhile. I think I bought it Saturday. I have one quarter left. The pineapple stayed good too. That is sliced and in a container in the fridge.

I just found a honeydew melon in the bottom of the fridge! I didn't put away the groceries the other day so I forgot I ordered it.

I just ate a punnet of strawberries and I have apples, bananas and a lemon in the fruit bowl, along with the melon.