Whatcha up to?

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Be as general or specific as you like.

At the moment I’m relaxing, drinking some beers, watching videos and doing some light cleaning. I periodically need to set some time aside and re-organize and clean, as I can tend to leave it. Now for my whole life I’ve relied on chemical cleaners, excepting changing to slightly diluted alcohol and/or lemon concentrate some years ago.

Today, I tried something different. I have some encrusted old food (flour, sauces etc) on my kitchen counter top. Normally, I’d whip together a strong solvent solution (usually alcohol) and clean with it. Instead I just decided to use warm soapy water and time. Add water in generous quantities to effected areas...and wait. A while. Maybe 20 minutes max. Go back, and the water and time has made the job easy and quick. Water is a natural solvent, just need to give it a little time to work if you don’t want to scrub.

More generally, I’m relearning C lang. I learned it a very long time ago, and haven’t really used it all that much. However I’ve written some programs in Bash (Bourne again Shell – Unix/Linux) and have discovered they are not easily ported to Windows. So in order to share my programs, I decided to relearn C lang so I can easily compile them to be used for Windows users.

Simplifying my life a bit more. I've been looking at minimalist videos to give me some ideas, and have been doing some long overdue organizing, cleaning and tidying. In the past week I've given away 5 boxes worth of stuff I don't use, nor can see myself using in the near future. My kitchen and dining areas are cleaner and more organized than they have been in years, and it's sure nice to able to find stuff easily.

Among today's activities:

Change oil on car. I do this myself.
Record 2 compositions I've been playing with so I don't forget later.
Clean and organize another living space.
Bottle home-brewed beer.
Make a bunch of flatbread.

Quitting my damn job. I started immediately after graduation and it's tiring and stressful and there's awful chemicals, and I have just enough right now to pay my bills (nothing extra though). I have been losing my damn mind. My bedroom looks like a cyclone hit it, and 99% of my clothes are dirty. This is absurd. I'm taking control of my life back. I need a break.

I'll still do side gigs or part-time help throughout the summer to make ends meet, but this is going to help me feel like I have my life back.

@Forest Nymph and @mavrick45 Yeah... been there too many times.
There are alot of different workplaces, with different culture inside each of them.
I have learned the hard way that sometimes it's okay to just quit and move on.

You, Forest Nymph will find your place as well someday. I think that it's great that you are brave enough to move on. Everything will be okay in the future.

But to answer the question... I'm eating breakfast, getting ready for the last day of work. I feel awful, because this was the job place that I really loved, and the people there were amazing. But they said that I can come back the next spring, when the working starts again.
I'm grateful to everyone for this great experience. It was truly one-of-a-kind opportunity.

On the way there I'm reading Metro 2033 by Dmitri Gluhovski.

After work I'm probably gonna to be pretty down. But then, later in the evening, we have planned to order some food. Hopefully that'll cheer me up.

In the near future I have planned to finish reading Metro 2033. Then, after that, The Phantom of The Opera, because the musical is coming to the theatre during Autumn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Forest Nymph
More generally, I’m relearning C lang. I learned it a very long time ago, and haven’t really used it all that much. However I’ve written some programs in Bash (Bourne again Shell – Unix/Linux) and have discovered they are not easily ported to Windows. So in order to share my programs, I decided to relearn C lang so I can easily compile them to be used for Windows users.
C language - that is hard-core! :) It's still widely used for existing software, although I suspect when developing new software ("greenfield projects") that more modern languages are more popular.

I write a little bash as well, but I mostly do Python and SQL.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I will have to google that one up.

You are a crochet champion PTree ! :grinning:
:grinning:I didn't get to crochet while my company was here, so I'm making up for it today.
There are a couple of movies by that title. The one I watched stars Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy. It was made in the '90s, I believe. It's one of my favorite movies.

• Love
Reactions: Mischief and shyvas
:grinning:I didn't get to crochet while my company was here, so I'm making up for it today.
There are a couple of movies by that title. The one I watched stars Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy. It was made in the '90s, I believe. It's one of my favorite movies.

I've never seen it. 🚁

I’m “trying” to watch TV but I can’t find anything at all that interests me. I really need to cut the cord with cable tv. I’ve resorted to watching the Adams Family. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
That's actually a cool thread. As someone that schedules everything and likes to be pretty busy I'm a fan of that sh*t.

Background:
I'm currently staying in Bali, Indonesia at least until the 14th of December. I'm working to simplify my life, gain knowledge (read 2-3 books a week) and improve my business that helps vegans become fit.

Today's Activites:
This morning I've woken up at 5:30, drank some water and then stumbled upon my scooter to get to my coworking space. I've shot a Youtube video at 6AM and finished editing it at 9:30. I've decided to upload daily videos on my channel until we get to 10,000 subscribers (hopefully this month!) and this is the only way I can fit it in.

Then had a very refreshing coaching call with a vegan athlete that is looking to get to the American Ninja Warrior competition in 2019. He competed in 2018 but now is looking to get to the next level in his performance.

On 10:00 I've shot a personal video for a new client that just signed up. After that I responded to Youtube comments for 30 minutes, finished the video script for tomorrow and then prepared the documents for the vegan ninja warrior client. :p

The entire morning was caffeine fueled and busy so I forgot to eat. Had an oatmeal with soy milk at 11am.

Then finished administrative/ business work. Now I'm commenting on this badass forum and then I'll finish my book 'Shooting Up: A History of Drugs in Warfare'. :)

This week: gardening. Lots of it. I planted 3 rows of potatoes covered by pea straw and have several other potato plants growing as well. Removed a small tree and it's stump, the stump of another small tree and several large branches of a large tree. Planted a tomato plant and have more tomato seedlings going. Also seedlings of broccoli, lettuce and lentils are developing in seed trays. Mowing and mulching. Also started an experiment (2 actually, 2 different methods) of growing button mushrooms.

I am recharging my electronics at the library. Still without power since Wednesday night's storm. Really hoping the power comes back on today.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I’m at work...counting down till I can leave at. 4. Soooooo tired and achy. ☹️

• Sad
Reactions: PTree15
The power finally came back on this afternoon. Happy, happy. :) I'm listening to the Astros-Yankees game. I was hoping Justin Verlander would shut down NY, but no such luck. It took him too long to settle down.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52