What struggles do you face with your plant-based diet?

I drink reverse-osmosis water every day, and I haven't died from dehydration yet.
Do you realize you are using the same attitude that omnivores do?. Well, been eating my steak and 4 eggs a day for 30 years
have not died from it yet...You drink what you want. It takes years of humans consuming saturated fats to have heart attacks or diabetes.
R/O and distilled water strip your body of minerals. It is your choice to drink it or not, I am simply providing information.
....Just a quick story. I knew a massage therapist. She was not an athlete, sweat a lot, or overweight. She saw a very gifted alternative Dr. so she had to wait 3 months to get an appointment. The detailed consultation took a few hours. At the 2nd appointment, the Dr. gave her the blood test
results, etcetera. She told her several things and then said "and you are dehydrated". My friend was stunned and told me she could not be dehydrated because she drank over a gallon of her clean water everyday. I asked one simple question, what type of water do you drink?. she said distilled.

My problems with maintaining a plant-based diet seem more social than nutritional. In the vast majority of places that I've worked, meat-eaters have prevailed. Though not usually a problem, after you overhear a few co-workers making fun of people with "special diets," and then you have to go out to a work lunch with them, things can get awkward. Sometimes I've just pointed at the menu rather than say outloud "I'll have the veggie burger." As I've said before, I've been publicly shamed for ordering vegan food at work functions at least once. Other awkward moments arise if co-workers invite you to their place after work for "brats on the grill." I appreciate the gesture, but I've had to wiggle out of a few of those in the past. This may just relate to my experience, but vegetarian/vegan men in the workplace tend to get strange stares from other men. I've also experienced "teasing" that sounds good natured on the surface, but has often made me feel excluded, especially when the rest of the team went out to lunch together and didn't invite me. Maybe I'm just obnoxious? Thankfully, I've also worked with many vegetarians and vegans from India, so I try to congregate around them. They usually have the best food anyway.

Do you realize you are using the same attitude that omnivores do?. Well, been eating my steak and 4 eggs a day for 30 years
have not died from it yet...You drink what you want. It takes years of humans consuming saturated fats to have heart attacks or diabetes.
R/O and distilled water strip your body of minerals. It is your choice to drink it or not, I am simply providing information.
....Just a quick story. I knew a massage therapist. She was not an athlete, sweat a lot, or overweight. She saw a very gifted alternative Dr. so she had to wait 3 months to get an appointment. The detailed consultation took a few hours. At the 2nd appointment, the Dr. gave her the blood test
results, etcetera. She told her several things and then said "and you are dehydrated". My friend was stunned and told me she could not be dehydrated because she drank over a gallon of her clean water everyday. I asked one simple question, what type of water do you drink?. she said distilled.
So there are minerals in water that are not provided by solid food? Magnesium? Calcium? Water is the only way to get those minerals?

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
After moving to Missisippi, I feel more limited. There was more vegan restaurants back in Illinois, I even miss Trader Joe's. There is a Whole Foods in Jackson, but it is the smallest WF I've seen. I usually get my groceries at Walmart, but I love WF trips. There is only one fully vegan restaurant near me and I don't like it because it tastes like I can make the same food at home for less money. My mom cooked more delicious meals.
But I feel that's more of a restriction of living in Missisippi, Illinois was vegan heaven compared.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Two weeks ago, I thought I'd do the neighborly thing and patronize a local restaurant known for its vegan dishes. Without concerning myself with prices, I ordered a bowl of curry soup, a bean salad and a bottle of Peregrina water. The final cost, $30, nearly gave me a stroke. To add insult to injury, the beans and rice in the salad were cold. I thought they should've been heated up.

Two weeks ago, I thought I'd do the neighborly thing and patronize a local restaurant known for its vegan dishes. Without concerning myself with prices, I ordered a bowl of curry soup, a bean salad and a bottle of Peregrina water. The final cost, $30, nearly gave me a stroke. To add insult to injury, the beans and rice in the salad were cold. I thought they should've been heated up.
With everything costing so much more I think I'd better get to the vegan restaurant by me while I still can! o_O

Maybe higher prices will make it easier for me to get back to eating wfpb--beans have yet to increase, and all the junk I love certainly has :worried:

With everything costing so much more I think I'd better get to the vegan restaurant by me while I still can! o_O

Maybe higher prices will make it easier for me to get back to eating wfpb--beans have yet to increase, and all the junk I love certainly has :worried:
If bf suggests beans for dinner I'll make a face and say no thanks
He loves his beans.

• Haha
Reactions: bEt
This.

I think I'm going back to more basic meals without fancy meat/cheese substitutes (though I have ordered some Jay & Joy lately, just love their Gorgonzola in sauces).

Fresh FROZEN vegetables are not all that expensive, they do not go bad and they are tasty and easily found.

If you research it you will find evidence that frozen veggies have more nutrients than non-local fresh as they are frozen immediately after being picked instead of travelling for days.

We almost never eat out for two reasons, cost and taste. Our home cooked meals are waaayyyy better than most restaurant meals and I know what the contents are, especially salt and oils. Do I wish there were cheap tasty restaurants meals available? for sure but I know that is a myth and so we just make it ourselves.

Rice & beans being one of the easiest and cheapest - $9 would get you enough rice and beans for 5 or 6 meals, even adding in some frozen corn and other veggies.

There are amazing vegan recipes online, youtube/blogs etc, for all those other wonderful meals that you list. A few spices in your pantry and you are ready to cook.

Best part of not eating out is the not paying for drinks, be they alcoholic or not. That is where restaurants make the most money.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Unfortunately this isn't the case in most food desert and rural place. I've lived there my whole life, and it was hard to find fresh either frozen or normal vegs and fruits. It came from sketchy country and costed an arm and a leg 12 $ for a bag of frozen fruits is unacceptable seing the demographic area ... Rice and beans seems to always be the answer but I doubt that's what people are eating every single day, or if they do ... I am afraid for their health and organs. Things are just not easy once we step away from our own bubble, it can be a shock at first. I was myself shoked to see when they talked about people in my country living up north, a bottle of ketchup 20$, food cost was just unimaginable. I think about these poor people all the time

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
Unfortunately this isn't the case in most food desert and rural place. I've lived there my whole life, and it was hard to find fresh either frozen or normal vegs and fruits. It came from sketchy country and costed an arm and a leg 12 $ for a bag of frozen fruits is unacceptable seing the demographic area ... Rice and beans seems to always be the answer but I doubt that's what people are eating every single day, or if they do ... I am afraid for their health and organs. Things are just not easy once we step away from our own bubble, it can be a shock at first. I was myself shoked to see when they talked about people in my country living up north, a bottle of ketchup 20$, food cost was just unimaginable. I think about these poor people all the time
Hello, Ydobon. It sounds like it is hard to get a lot of things at the stores where you live. Is ordering things online just as difficult? I think you have said elsewhere that you rely on your family for all your financial support, so you probably couldn't really order online even if there are deliveries possible. And maybe shipping would be prohibitively expensive, too. That is probably why things are so expensive in the stores.

Do you live in an area where there are little plants and weeds growing untended? Where I live, I have made a little project for myself of learning the names of the common naturalized plants. When the weather is tolerable, you can try to go outside and walk. looking carefully at the little plants and learning to tell them apart. If you don't know anyone who knows their names, it can be slow-going to research online to figure out what they are called. You can start by typing in descriptions of what the plants look like and how they grow. One plant took me more than a year to find the name of. Once you know the names you can research more, and who knows, maybe you may even find one of them may be edible. If you do that, it is important to be extra-sure of your identification before you try to eat. Ideally, you could find at least one other person in real life who can confirm your identification for you. Also, you need to make sure the plant has not been sprayed with herbicide or even pesticide, because that is very dangerous. And also triple-check its edibility. Some people online will tell you something is edible when really it is not. If you can find someone else who says it is not edible, you need to dig deeper and find out what is going on. Some plants won't make you sick, but they can slowly damage your liver or have other undesirable effects. (Some people drink mulberry leaf tea for example, but it is mildly hallucinogenic). Sometimes you can find websites and bloggers who write about foraging, which could be useful if they are from a similar climate.

What about growing some foods? Do you have any room to do that? On a good day, could your parents be convinced to buy some seeds for you? If you could do that, it would make the most sense to choose carefully, and choose a plant that is easy to grow and that you are likely to have success with.

Do you already use or have access to supplements like B12?

Last edited:
Aside from the challenges mentioned already -- which I've also experienced -- one that causes me the most struggle is the way memories (especially good ones) are tied to eating meat. Whether it be Thanksgiving dinner turkey with all the trimmings, or a summer cook-out of burgers, chicken, steaks and chops, or a hotdog at a ballgame -- so much of the 60+years of my life lived before transitioning is tied up with food. Smelling it cooking triggers a memory, or the memory triggers the craving for that food. I've had the same problem with cigarettes -- if I'm in an unfamiliar setting, the urge to smoke isn't as strong, but put me in the places I have smoked (car, working at my kitchen counter, etc.) and the desire to light up is really strong.

I can't avoid the places and situations that have memories tied to eating non-vegan. I just have to learn to fight the urges and not give in. But it ain't easy!!!

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
1. Finding Plant-Based Options: One of the main struggles of transitioning to a plant-based diet is finding plant-based options when eating out. Many restaurants and fast food chains don’t offer a wide variety of plant-based options, making it difficult for those who are trying to eat vegan or vegetarian.

2. Social Pressure: Another struggle of eating a plant-based diet is social pressure from friends, family, and coworkers. It can be difficult to stick to a plant-based diet in social situations when everyone else is eating something differen

3. Finding Nutrient Balance: It can be difficult to get all the necessary nutrients when eating a plant-based diet. It is important to make sure you are getting enough protein, iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and other important nutrient

4. Food Prep: Preparing food can be time consuming, and it can be difficult to find the time to cook plant-based meals. Many plant-based options require more preparation than traditional meats and dairy products. It can also be difficult to find plant-based ingredients that are fresh and in-season.

3. Finding Nutrient Balance: It can be difficult to get all the necessary nutrients when eating a plant-based diet. It is important to make sure you are getting enough protein, iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and other important nutrient

4. Food Prep: Preparing food can be time consuming, and it can be difficult to find the time to cook plant-based meals. Many plant-based options require more preparation than traditional meats and dairy products. It can also be difficult to find plant-based ingredients that are fresh and in-season.

Your first two points I can acknowledge as somewhat valid, these last two points I don't agree with.

It is easy enough to use Cronometer or some other app to track your nutrients and if you eat mainly a whole food vegan diet then it should be fairly simple.

Food Prep takes longer? say what? I can whip up a plant based meal in next to no time, one that is nutritious and delicious and there is a whole lot less clean up time as there are no dead body fluids lying around my kitchen. I use next to no oil so my dish water in the sink lasts all day long. I could go on and on....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

It can also be difficult to find plant-based ingredients that are fresh and in-season.
Depending on where you live this can be true. I am very fortunate to live in a state and a city where I can always get something fresh for much cheaper than a lot of other places. I also have the option to grow some food and live in an affluent suburban area with abundant public-access greenspace, and fruit trees in private yards, where it is easy to forage both greens and fruits. I know not everyone is in the same situation, though.

I'm getting the impression that in some places a good variety of foods, vegan and otherwise, are harder to come by and more expensive than what I have access to. I just bought a bag of cut wakame 5 oz dry for $4.75 across town. But if I lived in Australia:

22g (less than one ounce) for $3.25, and it is out of stock. Other Australian online suppliers I found with a quick search were similar.

Last edited: