What struggles do you face with your plant-based diet?

Daniel2022

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian

Hello everyone! After much deliberation, I've finally decided try the plant-based lifestyle. The decision has been an exciting one and somewhat overwhelming. It has also inspired me to perform a research project for class to determine some common struggles new pescatarians/vegetarians/vegans face with their plant-based diets. The hope is to design a mobile application to aid people in their diet transitions. If anyone would be interested in helping me with this research, feel free to complete a 4 question survey by clicking the link below. All responses will remain completely confidential. Thank you for your assistance!

SURVEY LINK

D

digitarian

the struggles I've had are:
  • the ability to find vegan food
    • that isn't going to cause me food sensitivities. I'm really sensitive to many vegan foods - soy, wheat, peanuts, alliums, caffeine, etc. - that there's very little far and few between with real, adequate choices and nutrition. Soy and wheat are in most fake meats - so there's not much after that except peas.
      • it's so easy to be exposed to drugs and be drugged - as so many drugs come from plants that's in our regular food.
      • too many chemicals that plants use to protect itself are either toxic or anti-nutrients - which make you unwell. It's hard to eat properly on a vegan diet.
    • there just always seems to be added difficulties to get food
      • you need to grow your own vegan food in order to get the right nutrients (like calcium - found in herbs) - which is hard
  • you're surrounded by a lot of broken people if you meet other vegans
    • too much peer pressure and directed anger at you if you don't want to be vegan - it's like a cult - once you're in - you can't really get out easily. Even if you're not in it - there's too much pressure to be in it. Another issue is that this behavior and pressuring's socially acceptable - which is bad
      • since everyone has a different definition of what veganism is and isn't - vegans get angry at each other over decisions they think are vegan, but aren't and vice versa
    • there's too many people telling others to go vegan without explaining to them how to properly be vegan and seeing if it's truly right for them

that said - even though there are difficulties in being vegan - there are just too many difficulties that are harder to face when not being vegan that I wouldn't really go back. A lot of difficulties in veganism is due to the symptoms of a non-vegan society and would go away if: 1) veganism was treated properly by vegans, 2) the world's more vegan. In essence, while it's hard to be vegan in some ways - those difficulties are way fewer and less in intensity.

I think your research project should incorporate the positive aspects to understand the negative ones.