What did you Cook or Bake Today?

Are you talking about using fenugreek leaves? I've never had those.
I have some seeds I left from the one thing I wanted them for, not sure how to use them !

No, the seeds. Smell them, they should already have a maple-like smell. This has been my experience buying them from the local Indian Grocer.

The sweetness needs to be obtained elsewhere, like from dates, raw sugar etc.

Reactions: Dougrus
yesterday I made Creamy Lentil Vegetable soup (not quite sure why I call it creamy other than the first time I made it I made hummus too and put a dollop on top) - it was delicious and I have tons let over as the pot was literally full to the top - I put in all possible vegetables that were in my fridge including broccoli stems that I had saved (yes, I peeled the tough outer skin off) - here are the ingredients and a link to the recipe if you are interested - basically just put in anything and everything you love - so simple...

Emma JC

1.5 cups brown, green or black lentils (if using canned then skip the first 20 minutes of cooking)
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
1 parsnip and or turnip, chopped
2 large white potatoes, chopped
1 large sweet potatoes, chopped
3 stalks celery and leaves, chopped
1 bell pepper any colour, chopped
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 can chopped or pureed tomatoes
hummus or tahini as a topping (optional)
salt to taste
cilantro, parsley or any chopped greens as a topping (optional)

full recipe link

I also made a crock pot of beans overnight - this time I used a combo of Navy Beans and Northern beans. Will freeze some and use some for lunches and dinners the next couple of days.

I intend to make another Raisin Loaf today too, it is the simplest recipe ever and as I have some almond flour in the fridge I may substitute some of it for some of regular flour. It is already dense so this should put it over the top and I may also put in some dried cranberries with the raisins. Debating whether to cinnamonize it or not.... hmmmm.

Not sure if I gave out the recipe before, it was my mom's from back in the 50's and 60's.

Raisin Loaf

2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar (any kind works)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk (I use plant of course)
2 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients together then add milk and raisins. It will be dense and that is okay.

The amount is almost too much for a regular size loaf pan as it comes up well past the top when baked.
Line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Use two loaf pans if you prefer.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.

Emma JC

https://postimg.cc/gxVgKbbp

I would have posted image from image button, but it wouldn't let me.

That's more maple syrup I made today, with a homemade bread on the left.

This time not only did I soak the fenugreek seeds, I cooked them for much longer, until the water became dark. Then I strained them out and saved the liquid. Next, I added the same amount of raw sugar as fenugreek and then boiled it down. When it was nearly boiled down, but still enough liquid to add something else, I added a dollop of peanut butter. The little bits you see are a few fenugreek seeds that didn't strain out.

It is very yummy, and very like maple syrup.

oh my, I made the Raisin Loaf and subbed in 3/4 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup ground flax for one of the cups of regular flour and also added in some dried cranberries - wow, it is so good and so dense that you can eat just one 1/2 inch slice and it is satisfying and filling

Emma JC

Last night I made Robin Robertsons coffee cake from 1000 Vegan Recipes. My now adult kids still ask me to make that, it's delicious! http://robinrobertson.com/11630-2/
That was my first vegan cookbook I'd bought, and she does have a terrible way of including the entire amount of things like sugar in the ingredients, then tell you add just some of it here, and the rest later. Like here there is 2 cups sugar total. You use 3/4 in the streusal type mix, and the rest in the batter. I used 3/4 for streusal then 2 cups in batter! That was a oopsie everyone really liked, and this time no different! 🤣

Just made enchiladas. I spread the corn torillas with fat free refried beans, top with some chese, then a mix of rice, black beans, Trader Joes soy chorizo, roll and fill the casserole. Top with enchilada sauce and bake. This is usually made with all Aldi ingredients other than soy chorizo. They only have the green enchilada sauce I like at certain times of the year.

I am discovering the joy of 1) being 'prep'ared 2) simplicity.

The crock pot of beans that I made a week or so ago have been feeding us since then and I put 2 or 3 tubs in the freezer. Last night for supper I made a medium size pot of Stewp (soup/stew) and it was so simple and so incredibly tasty and I was able to incorporate so many different veggies and spices and other things that are just good for us to have every day. Onions, garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini, froz corn, froz kale, the beans of course, leftover spaghetti sauce, sweet potato, all the spices garlic, paprika, cumin, ginger, chipotle, turmeric, apple cider vinegar and added some hot sauce and pepper when serving. It was so good and so filling as we had a whole grain pita for dipping.

Basically you can throw in anything you have available in your fridge when you have a base of beans and those beans can come from a can if you don't have any homemade available. Inexpensive, simple and healthy.

Emma JC

Edit: oops, celery and parsnip, forgot I added them too

Last edited:
I don't normally do a lot of cooking as we have a division of work arrangement in our house, but last week it was my wife's birthday, so I teamed up with little miss Summer to bake a chocolate cake. After much discussion and googling, the we landed on this cake by "Chocolate covered Katie":

It turned out quite well. We decorated with cherries (which were super expensive!), frosting and cherry jam.

I made my first Dill Pickles today. Basically I just took the ingredients from the pickles I usually purchase, modified slightly, and added cucumber slices. I was excited because I used the Dill and peach vinegar(from my peaches of my tree, obviously) I got from my garden! (Peach vinegar, cucumbers, water, dill, sugar, salt, onion, garlic, mustard seeds)

I don't normally do a lot of cooking as we have a division of work arrangement in our house, but last week it was my wife's birthday, so I teamed up with little miss Summer to bake a chocolate cake. After much discussion and googling, the we landed on this cake by "Chocolate covered Katie":

It turned out quite well. We decorated with cherries (which were super expensive!), frosting and cherry jam.
Oh heck no! The old Impossible Cake from the old VB was the best!
I just looked that up trying to recommend one and went back there

I made brown basmati rice with stir fried cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery just to add the Furikake seasoning from Trader Joes. It's just a blend of black and regular sesame seeds, nori flakes and salt.

Also made a purple barley soup with mushrooms carrots and celery and onion. Purple barley is quite different! Much chewier, smaller, and not 'sticky' like barley I'm used to

I'll also cook some oat groats and black lentils for breakfasts this week