What did you Cook or Bake Today?

I made waffles for breakfast but I didn't take a picture. I hadn't made them in a while because I was out of syrup and waiting for a buy one get one free deal at Publix on Log Cabin Lite. I had gotten some pure maple syrup at TJ Maxx before all this nonsense but ran out quite some time ago.

I made waffles for breakfast but I didn't take a picture. I hadn't made them in a while because I was out of syrup and waiting for a buy one get one free deal at Publix on Log Cabin Lite. I had gotten some pure maple syrup at TJ Maxx before all this nonsense but ran out quite some time ago.

my wow face is to indicate horror at running out of maple syrup.... noooooooooo!

Emma JC

my wow face is to indicate horror at running out of maple syrup.... noooooooooo!

Emma JC
Eeehhh... There is so much talk about maple syrup around...:lick: This product is (was before the quarantine) not native to our area at all, though we have plenty of maples (perhaps Canada has a lot more maples though). Why not to start manufacturing our own (russian) analogue? I saw local agave syrup though: agaves grow in Southern areas, like Black sea shores (a.k.a. Caucasus and Crimea), plus maybe in Stavropol' krai and Astrakhan'...
Only ONCE i saw a cute bottle of maple syrup in Okey mall (it was a loooong time ago, and this bottle was maple-leaf-shaped, as it should be, i guess). But i never got my head around the idea of what's so special in it? Why people consume tons of it??:???: Is it so delicious? Or does it add some sophisticated notes to other products?
OTOH, we have birch juice (sap), which can be pretty sweet if concentrated... I'm actually interested in liquid sugar substitutes, because most of the time i feel like i'm deprived of sugar (i don't eat anything sweet rather than dried fruits... and normal fruits), therefore, sometimes i have unhealthy tendencies of making lemonades out of concentrated store-brand syrups (i take them with me, to my "hikes"), since i'm trying to save our leftovers of home-made chokeberry syrup (leftovers, alas...). But store-brand syrups are pure evil, you know...
Never mind...those were rhetorical questions. I'm in the mood of demagoguery again.😁

Reactions: Emma JC
Eeehhh... There is so much talk about maple syrup around...:lick: This product is (was before the quarantine) not native to our area at all, though we have plenty of maples (perhaps Canada has a lot more maples though). Why not to start manufacturing our own (russian) analogue? I saw local agave syrup though: agaves grow in Southern areas, like Black sea shores (a.k.a. Caucasus and Crimea), plus maybe in Stavropol' krai and Astrakhan'...
Only ONCE i saw a cute bottle of maple syrup in Okey mall (it was a loooong time ago, and this bottle was maple-leaf-shaped, as it should be, i guess). But i never got my head around the idea of what's so special in it? Why people consume tons of it??:???: Is it so delicious? Or does it add some sophisticated notes to other products?
OTOH, we have birch juice (sap), which can be pretty sweet if concentrated... I'm actually interested in liquid sugar substitutes, because most of the time i feel like i'm deprived of sugar (i don't eat anything sweet rather than dried fruits... and normal fruits), therefore, sometimes i have unhealthy tendencies of making lemonades out of concentrated store-brand syrups (i take them with me, to my "hikes"), since i'm trying to save our leftovers of home-made chokeberry syrup (leftovers, alas...). But store-brand syrups are pure evil, you know...
Never mind...those were rhetorical questions. I'm in the mood of demagoguery again.😁

That is interesting that you have maples and no syrup. If you google maple syrup vs birch syrup you will find some interesting information. Birch syrup is made the same way as maple and is mostly a fructose based syrup whilst maple is sucrose based.

Ah, I just googled russian maple syrup and it seems that your maple trees are not 'sugar' maples as Canada's are.

"Sugar maple Acer saccharum is a species of maple native to Canada and the northern parts of the Central and Eastern United States. It has never grown in Russia. Ancient Slavs had to rely on honey and berries for the sweet taste and later on sugar beets, which was introduced in the beginning of the 19th c "

Emma JC

Reactions: Val and KLS52
That is interesting that you have maples and no syrup. If you google maple syrup vs birch syrup you will find some interesting information. Birch syrup is made the same way as maple and is mostly a fructose based syrup whilst maple is sucrose based.

Ah, I just googled russian maple syrup and it seems that your maple trees are not 'sugar' maples as Canada's are.

"Sugar maple Acer saccharum is a species of maple native to Canada and the northern parts of the Central and Eastern United States. It has never grown in Russia. Ancient Slavs had to rely on honey and berries for the sweet taste and later on sugar beets, which was introduced in the beginning of the 19th c "

Emma JC
I actually have never tried birch syrup. I never had a shortage of birch juice though when i was little, because we were obtaining it in the neighbourhood woods, close to our summer cottage. But as long as i remember, we never made syrup out of it (we didn't have any equipment for that). But i was fed with birch juice to such an extent, that it seemed to me that it was "pouring out of my ears". Birch juice has quite a specific taste,- it's not for everyone, at least, not for every day.

I love sweet cornbread. That way I can eat it as is and not have to add butter or jam.
I never had cornbread with chili...I don’t associate the two...maybe that’s why I like it sweet. Or it could have something to do with being a sugar addict lol. I think I will try this recipe. it looks good.

Corn cake...is there such a thing? Maybe I like corn cake

I love sweet cornbread. That way I can eat it as is and not have to add butter or jam.
I never had cornbread with chili...I don’t associate the two...maybe that’s why I like it sweet. Or it could have something to do with being a sugar addict lol. I think I will try this recipe. it looks good.

Corn cake...is there such a thing? Maybe I like corn cake
I have heard of corn cakes, I associate that with cast iron "corn on the cob" shaped cast iron molds, but doubt they're the same. When I was a child my friends' mom had them and I thought they were so cool!

Attachments

• 1586637150979.png
    1586637150979.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
These sound really good, but require masa harina -corn flour. I bought that once, intending to make tortillas, but they didn't come out very well. Everything I tried using it for I didn't like. I wonder if you can put corn meal in a blender and get it like flour?
I used to make a corn bread that was almost pudding in texture with creamed corn. I've never found a recipe that was close enough to what I remember

I made tofu quiche.
I used FYH mozz shreds. I had Daiya cheddar slices and only a mouse size piece of the chedda block. The daiya slices taste more like American cheese. I love the Daiya blocks
FYH parm is better than their shredded mozz IMO

I used masa harina when I tried to make tamales. I wasn’t very good at it. I had a neighbor who was Guatemalan and she made the most amazing tamales but then I went veggie and couldn’t eat them anymore. She only made them with chicken. So I tried to make my own with beans but never had much luck. I mean, they were edible, but just not like hers. I have a bag of masa harina now so I think I will try making them again.

Daiya blocks, and even the slices, are better than the shreds for some reason. I still use the shreds in certain things though. They are convenient and are fine when mixed in a recipe. Plus the shreds are easier to find in most local stores here.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Daiya blocks, and even the slices, are better than the shreds for some reason. I still use the shreds in certain things though. They are convenient and are fine when mixed in a recipe. Plus the shreds are easier to find in most local stores here.
Shreds are really good for adding texture. I'll even buy Aldi shreds when I make my Aldi enchilidas, well, if they bring back their green enchilada sauce. That was my favorite, and then everything was Aldi! Now I have to fuss with canned tomatoes and peppers