What did you Cook or Bake Today?

Could you post the recipe? I made one years ago and don't remember a thing about it! I have walnuts, cashews, cocktail peanuts (unless my son got them...)
@silva Sure thing. This recipe is from shyvas. Notes at the bottom are from shyvas as well. I, too, omit the stuffing and just use whatever nuts I have on hand. I do add the pureed chickpeas (actually today I used hummus, haha), and add the lemon. :D Also, today I skipped the leek because I didn't have one. I put in extra onion powder. All spices are to taste or a pinch/dash where there are no measurements.

Vegan Nut Roast

• Serves 6
  • 4 TBSP nondairy butter or olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
  • And a leek (white part)
  • 1¾ cups unroasted cashew nuts ( I use mixed nuts including pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds. I also leave some of them in halves and quarters.)
  • 4 oz white bread, crusts removed ( I use granary wholewheat)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 7 fluid oz water or light vegetable stock (never add all the stock in one go. Add slowly and adjust. I also add a tsp of Marmite - yeast extract. I use less stock than stated.
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Grated nutmeg
  • A pinch of sage
  • A pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1 quantity herb stuffing (I omit this part)
  • Pureed chickpeas

Set the oven to 400. Prepare a 1-lb. loaf tin. Put a long strip of nonstick paper across the bottom and up the two narrow sides, then use some of the butter to grease the pan and paper well.

Melt most of the remaining butter in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from the heat.

Grind the cashew nuts in a food processor with the bread and garlic, then add to the onion together with the water or stock, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and lemon juice to taste. Put half the cashew nut mixture into the prepared pan, top with the herb stuffing, then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top. Dot with the remaining butter. Stand the pan in another pan to catch any butter oozing out, then bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cover the roast with foil if it gets too brown before then.

Cool for a minute or two in the pan, then slip a knife around the sides, turn the nut roast out and strip off the paper. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and small slices of lemon, and surround with roast potatoes, if you're serving them.

NOTES:
I omit the herb stuffing. I use a mixture of nuts ; cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans. I also add extra ground almonds to the bread (granary whole wheat) crumbs. I also add extra onion powder and puréed chick peas to bind plus a teaspoon of lemon

That pumpkin bread looks very yummy! I made chili yesterday. No recipe, I just threw a bunch of chili beans, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and sauce together and added some frozen corn, brown sugar, and chili powder.

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax
Why the heck are all the pumpkin bread recipes using 1 cup? You get 1.5 or a bit more in the typical 15 oz can 🙄 .
I used the whole can and added some more flour and stuff. Baked in a 9x13, about the thickness of brownies.
I also chopped the walnuts on the cutting board without thinking---I hope they don't taste like onion or garlic! :rofl::shrug:

Is that the kind that you’re supposed to make in advance and let sit for days and days? Or are there quick versions?

You can make it a year before Christmas. However, I didn't have time to make it when planned.

Mine isn't the lighter version but will surely mature for the 4 days before Christmas.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I made three apple pie fillings. Two pies will go for Thanksgiving, but the third I will save for Christmas. I was going to make the crusts, but I've run out of room in my freezer. :D My recipe says it can stay in the fridge for up to three days, so since I plan to bake either Tuesday or Wednesday, I will make the crust tomorrow.

Today I made a banana bread. I used ripe bananas, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. I combined the dry ingredients, then added the wet ingredients, and stirred until everything was combined. I poured the batter into a greased loaf pan and baked at 350°F for about an hour. The finished product was a delicious, moist, and flavorful banana bread.

Reactions: KLS52 and HappyRoxy
Today I made a banana bread. I used ripe bananas, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. I combined the dry ingredients, then added the wet ingredients, and stirred until everything was combined. I poured the batter into a greased loaf pan and baked at 350°F for about an hour. The finished product was a delicious, moist, and flavorful banana bread.
Yum!

I'm having three neighbors to my house this morning for tea/coffee. It will be the first time since moving here that they will be in my house. I'm nervous! Lol. I always feel like I can never be clean/neat enough. I need to get over that. My house is lived in. 😊 Anyway, I made a beer bread last night. I didn't have beer so I used a raspberry seltzer. And I added chopped apples and cinnamon. It's good! This morning I'm making a matcha tea pound cake. I'm excited!

I'm having three neighbors to my house this morning for tea/coffee. It will be the first time since moving here that they will be in my house. I'm nervous! Lol. I always feel like I can never be clean/neat enough. I need to get over that. My house is lived in. 😊 Anyway, I made a beer bread last night. I didn't have beer so I used a raspberry seltzer. And I added chopped apples and cinnamon. It's good! This morning I'm making a matcha tea pound cake. I'm excited!

Don't worry as people like to have a good time plus some goodies. They really don't care if your house isn't spick and span. :innocent: