What Did You Cook or Bake today?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I'm the opposite. I love soda bread. My recipe makes two loaves, so I made it Tuesday and gave a loaf to my dad yesterday. I haven't really been thrilled with vegan recipes for soda bread, so I just tweak my mom's recipe by using egg replacer, earth balance baking sticks and nondairy milk with vinegar for vegan buttermilk. It comes out great every time.

I've tasted both; using buttermilk and a vegan version but don't like the texture or taste.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Maybe I’ll try adding some egg replacer next time. I didn’t know traditional soda bread called for eggs. I definitely preferred the one that I used the earth balance in over the oil. And it did call for nondairy milk with vinegar.

No eggs, just buttermilk.

PTree15

Guru
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Maybe I’ll try adding some egg replacer next time. I didn’t know traditional soda bread called for eggs. I definitely preferred the one that I used the earth balance in over the oil. And it did call for nondairy milk with vinegar.
I've mostly made my mom's recipe, which calls for one beaten egg, so I just use EnerG egg replacer. I think my issue with the vegan recipes was texture. It seemed too dense and a little chewy/rubbery.

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I started to make a meatloaf yesterday and ran out of time, so am going to make it today - watched a video of Jill on the Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show make it and it reminded me how much I love meatloaf - using farro instead of the grains she used

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

PTree15

Guru
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have made a coffee cake to take to my parents' house today. We are having a pandemic-friendly visit/dinner, as they have been fully vaccinated, but my sister and I have had just the first shot. They have a nice big living room, and it might even be warm enough to open the windows.

My nut roast is in the oven as we speak, and I will bring a slice or two for dinner, as I'm sure my mother is making some sort of something that I won't eat (ham, probably). I would offer some to my sister, but she loathes onions, and this is full of onions, which I adore. The mix was so good that I could have eaten it right out of the pan. I used my homemade bread in the recipe as well.

My mom might try it, but she will fear the calories. I bet my dad will try it, though. He tries anything I make. :-D

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
today I am making waffles for the first time - I found the Black and Decker round waffle maker on sale for $30 so am going to make them shortly with berries and maply syrup on top

Emma JC

they were very good - I used a recipe I found online that included 1 cup of almond flour (which I had in my fridge) and I used another cup of a pancake/waffle mix that I had - so much easier than making pancakes and we had berries and maple syrup on top

Emma JC

Reactions: Raven and Brian W