What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I'm the opposite. I love soda bread. My recipe makes two loaves, so I made it Tuesday and gave a loaf to my dad yesterday. I haven't really been thrilled with vegan recipes for soda bread, so I just tweak my mom's recipe by using egg replacer, earth balance baking sticks and nondairy milk with vinegar for vegan buttermilk. It comes out great every time.

I've tasted both; using buttermilk and a vegan version but don't like the texture or taste.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Maybe I’ll try adding some egg replacer next time. I didn’t know traditional soda bread called for eggs. I definitely preferred the one that I used the earth balance in over the oil. And it did call for nondairy milk with vinegar.

No eggs, just buttermilk.

Maybe I’ll try adding some egg replacer next time. I didn’t know traditional soda bread called for eggs. I definitely preferred the one that I used the earth balance in over the oil. And it did call for nondairy milk with vinegar.
I've mostly made my mom's recipe, which calls for one beaten egg, so I just use EnerG egg replacer. I think my issue with the vegan recipes was texture. It seemed too dense and a little chewy/rubbery.

I started to make a meatloaf yesterday and ran out of time, so am going to make it today - watched a video of Jill on the Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show make it and it reminded me how much I love meatloaf - using farro instead of the grains she used

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I have made a coffee cake to take to my parents' house today. We are having a pandemic-friendly visit/dinner, as they have been fully vaccinated, but my sister and I have had just the first shot. They have a nice big living room, and it might even be warm enough to open the windows.

My nut roast is in the oven as we speak, and I will bring a slice or two for dinner, as I'm sure my mother is making some sort of something that I won't eat (ham, probably). I would offer some to my sister, but she loathes onions, and this is full of onions, which I adore. The mix was so good that I could have eaten it right out of the pan. I used my homemade bread in the recipe as well.

My mom might try it, but she will fear the calories. I bet my dad will try it, though. He tries anything I make. :-D

today I am making waffles for the first time - I found the Black and Decker round waffle maker on sale for $30 so am going to make them shortly with berries and maply syrup on top

Emma JC

they were very good - I used a recipe I found online that included 1 cup of almond flour (which I had in my fridge) and I used another cup of a pancake/waffle mix that I had - so much easier than making pancakes and we had berries and maple syrup on top

Emma JC

Reactions: Raven and Brian W