What Did You Cook or Bake today?

M has a chocolate craving so I'm baking a chocolate cake. It means we are eating lima beans in the near future because I needed the aquafaba to add air to the cake.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
M has a chocolate craving so I'm baking a chocolate cake. It means we are eating lima beans in the near future because I needed the aquafaba to add air to the cake.
You, you, ew, used lima bean juice???:scream:
I think they're the only beans I don't like :joy:
I need to try them again....I think I like them with corn-aka succotash

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W
I made soy yogurt overnight, now I'm doing this hybrid seitan, ala SauceStatch-
I'm adding wheat starch I got from doing a washed flour last weekend to my usual 1 to 1 vwg broth and seasoning gyro loaf. You can tell as soon as the starch gets mixed in it's very different texturally
Doing the usual wrapped in the Instant Pot though

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I despise lima beans! o_O😁

I have not baked or cooked anything today, and I was hoping to do so. Work got in the way, but it's all good. Can't pass up any freelance business! I'm going to my dad's tomorrow, so I will make him oatmeal raisin cookies in the morning and maybe scones if I have time.

These particular lima beans don't taste very strong so the water is perfect for cakes. It doesn't whip up stiff enough for meringues though.

These particular lima beans don't taste very strong so the water is perfect for cakes. It doesn't whip up stiff enough for meringues though.
How was the cake?
I want to make the one I linked before. It calls for almond flour, I have coconut flour though--should be equal right?

How was the cake?
I want to make the one I linked before. It calls for almond flour, I have coconut flour though--should be equal right?
The cake was really lovely. Today we had some with whipped oat cream and it was heavenly. We've got enough left for tomorrow. I imagine the flour should be equal but I have never used coconut flour, so don't quote me.

I made one with raisins and one plain for the boys. I used two different recipes. The one with raisins had butter (Earth Balance) and the other oil. I like the butter one better. It has a more tender crumb. I hate cutting butter into flour so I tried grating the cold butter and it worked like a charm. I might try more recipes that I’ve been shying away from.

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I have to be honest I’m not impressed with either one, really. I mean they are tasty enough but I much prefer yeasty breads. I’d rather have a nice French/Italian loaf or ciabatta or even hard roll. But this was nice and easy. I’m thinking it will taste better tomorrow if I toast it.

I have to be honest I’m not impressed with either one, really. I mean they are tasty enough but I much prefer yeasty breads. I’d rather have a nice French/Italian loaf or ciabatta or even hard roll. But this was nice and easy. I’m thinking it will taste better tomorrow if I toast it.

I totally agree and don't really like soda bread.

Glad you said that because I never liked them either--or beer bread.
Baking powder biscuits are good because they're small.
Yours does look nice!

I agree, I like biscuits better than the soda bread.

I had forgotten it was St Patrick's day. I like soda bread, although I like most breads to be fair.

The only bread I can think of that I really don't like is German rye bread.

No cooking or baking involved. I made truffles. Just a few so I can’t overdo it.

View attachment 23703
More of these only I rolled them in the PB2 powder. Very yummy! But the texture isn’t as good as the ones in the picture. They are smooth and creamy but too soft. Still tasty though.

Reactions: Emma JC
I totally agree and don't really like soda bread.
I'm the opposite. I love soda bread. My recipe makes two loaves, so I made it Tuesday and gave a loaf to my dad yesterday. I haven't really been thrilled with vegan recipes for soda bread, so I just tweak my mom's recipe by using egg replacer, earth balance baking sticks and nondairy milk with vinegar for vegan buttermilk. It comes out great every time.

Reactions: Raven and KLS52
I'm the opposite. I love soda bread. My recipe makes two loaves, so I made it Tuesday and gave a loaf to my dad yesterday. I haven't really been thrilled with vegan recipes for soda bread, so I just tweak my mom's recipe by using egg replacer, earth balance baking sticks and nondairy milk with vinegar for vegan buttermilk. It comes out great every time.
Maybe I’ll try adding some egg replacer next time. I didn’t know traditional soda bread called for eggs. I definitely preferred the one that I used the earth balance in over the oil. And it did call for nondairy milk with vinegar.