What Did You Cook or Bake today?

My car got a flat. The spare is worthless. It's a long weekend in Aus due to public holiday. So I'm home bound for a few days, until I can get tires delivered.

I'm out of whole wheat flour, and oil. The local shop within walking distance doesn't have whole grain flour and I neglected to pick up oil when I took a walk there last. But I have some white flour, and I have some soaked then frozen corn that's been sitting in the freezer and needs to be used.

So today I experimented with making dough for my spring rolls with a combination of pulverized corn, white flour, water and salt. I also experimented with cooking them without oil. Pan fried was difficult, even in a wok, without sticking and using water. I baked the others. They didn't brown as I was told they would, were a bit dry, but otherwise they were o k.

I made Robin Robertsons recipe for coffee cake. The ingredients have 2 cups sugar, but instructions have 3/4 cup in the streusal mix, and the rest in the batter. I often make the streusal first, then add 2 cups in the batter--and everyone loves it so much :rofl:.
I made it right today---and now it tastes like coffee cake :dismay:
I did sub even more applesauce for oil though, seemed to take too long to bake

Since I am apparently coming down with something, I made a big batch of soup...technically just broth with diced carrots celery and onion. Then I can add rice or pastina depending on what I’m in the mood for.

that looks amazing - recipe please!!

Emma JC
Thank you!
My recipe is slightly different from the one posted above. I don't know where it's from. My mother gave it to me ages ago, so it could be from her old Better Homes and Garden cookbook or from a relative. I subbed out the non-vegan items (buttermilk, butter and an egg).

Ingredients:
4 cups sifted flour
1 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups raisins
EnergG egg replacer (equivalent of 1 egg)
1 3/4 cups nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar

Instructions: Preheat over to 375 F
Add vinegar to nondairy milk and let sit for about 10 minutes.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Cut in butter until it's the consistency of a fine, crumbly mixture.
Add sugar and raisins; mix well.
Combine egg replacer and milk mixture and add to dry ingredients; stir with a spoon and add more flour if needed to make a soft dough.
Turn on floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
Divide the dough in half and shape into round loaves.
Place on large ungreased baking sheet and cut a deep cross in each loaf.
Bake at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes (I usually go 45 minutes)

Note: It keeps for about two days, longer if you refrigerate it. I usually freeze one loaf and devour the other in about three days. :D

Thank you!
My recipe is slightly different from the one posted above. I don't know where it's from. My mother gave it to me ages ago, so it could be from her old Better Homes and Garden cookbook or from a relative. I subbed out the non-vegan items (buttermilk, butter and an egg).

Ingredients:
4 cups sifted flour
1 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups raisins
EnergG egg replacer (equivalent of 1 egg)
1 3/4 cups nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar

Instructions: Preheat over to 375 F
Add vinegar to nondairy milk and let sit for about 10 minutes.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Cut in butter until it's the consistency of a fine, crumbly mixture.
Add sugar and raisins; mix well.
Combine egg replacer and milk mixture and add to dry ingredients; stir with a spoon and add more flour if needed to make a soft dough.
Turn on floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
Divide the dough in half and shape into round loaves.
Place on large ungreased baking sheet and cut a deep cross in each loaf.
Bake at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes (I usually go 45 minutes)

Note: It keeps for about two days, longer if you refrigerate it. I usually freeze one loaf and devour the other in about three days. :D

thank you so much, I will definitely try it

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15