What are your thoughts on impossible/beyond meat burgers?

I'm glad - I never was too comfortable with this. I am considering investing in Beyond Burger if I can set aside a few hours to do the research necessary to make a decision. Soon it will have an IPO (initial public offering) and become a public company so it may be possible for anyone to buy.

Not sure if the IPO was a factor in the decision. The company valuation may fluctuate wildly after it launches. Maybe Tyson feels it can get a better price IPO.

By the way, it's annoying when a company floats at say $20 a share, and then the price immediately burns up to say $30 a share, a say 50% profit for anyone that got in before the float whereas Joe Public has to come in at the higher price. Might not buy if that happens. Still, Tyson obviously thinks that the opposite will happen.

I've been following this story a little bit. And nothing definite but rumors of discord in the boardroom. I guess the Beyond Meat guys and the Tyson guys were not getting along. And that seems pretty plausible.

the other rumor and I've actually seen this show up in a few places, which gives it some credence is that Tyson plans to start their own division of plant-based meat. And Beyond Meat has some issues with that.

here are some more points.

All burgers are reminiscent of 'hamburgers' so to me anything like that is the devil. I don't understand why you would want anything to taste like meat?.. when its not meat, and you don't eat meat?
Meat substitutes are just awful and confusing.
Also, raw foods are good but as humans we are really adapted to eating predominantly cooked foods.
Some people actually like the taste of meat before going vegan and I am one of them. Plant meat is way better and doesn't hurt anything. I went vegan for health and environment. I still like having stuff that taste like meat that's not meat from time to time.

Reactions: Emma JC
All burgers are reminiscent of 'hamburgers' so to me anything like that is the devil. I don't understand why you would want anything to taste like meat?.. when its not meat, and you don't eat meat?
Meat substitutes are just awful and confusing.
Also, raw foods are good but as humans we are really adapted to eating predominantly cooked foods.
I saw AmberFunk's reply and it reminded me of a couple of things.

Vegans may also seek out a patty or tube or sliced lunch product because of its nostalgic effect. Many of us grew up on hamburgers, hot dogs and bologna sandwiches. They can be stored in the freezer for a long time. They are also convenient. Using a frozen patty, or a hot dog or sliced tofurkey it takes just minutes to construct a lunch. And these things are easy to pack and you can even eat them on the go.

Not long ago there was an article that I read that predicted that eventually, vegan news would become so commonplace that it would no longer be reported.

Today I predict that eventually, Impossible Burger news will become so commonplace that it will no longer be reported.

But that is not today.

Last edited:
I'm maybe being unrealistically optimistic but I hope the vegan news just keeps on and on going. Eventually we want to see a shift from the current situation - where one vegan or vegetarian option added to a restaurant is newsworthy - to a new one where that is no longer news but the news is when a major chain goes 100% vegetarian, or announces elimination of beef at least for environmental reasons. Or a major chef announces that the vegans are right and they'll only cook vegan from now on. Or a government announces no more meat subsidies, or even taxes. More famous people going vegan. There are lots of opportunities for big new types of positive news.

I'm maybe being unrealistically optimistic but I hope the vegan news just keeps on and on going. Eventually we want to see a shift from the current situation - where one vegan or vegetarian option added to a restaurant is newsworthy - to a new one where that is no longer news but the news is when a major chain goes 100% vegetarian, or announces elimination of beef at least for environmental reasons. Or a major chef announces that the vegans are right and they'll only cook vegan from now on. Or a government announces no more meat subsidies, or even taxes. More famous people going vegan. There are lots of opportunities for big new types of positive news.

Jaime, you may have missed this thread.

I've had Beyond Meat burger several times when I was traveling across the country. We ended up in some pretty small towns where vegan options were not available except A&W. I thought they were quite good and a good option in a pinch. We probably have burgers once a week, but I have other store bought burgers I prefer more. I would prefer making it myself, but haven't found a recipe I like.

I personallly don't need and will not eat any product that has been made to resemble meat. I just have no interest in it what so ever.

On the other hand I do applaud it because it makes it easier for others to transition.

No thank you. I don't like faux meat in general, but faux meat that faux bleeds? I can't even.... My mom who is a vegetarian agrees its gross, even my husband who's an omni (but usually likes vegan food) thinks its gross and according to him, even beef burgers don't "bleed". I'm not sure who their actual target market is but it seems like a rather poorly thought out product that's been hyped up through a good PR campaign.

CNBC produces a 6-minute commercial news segment for about Beyond Burgers.

My wife's relatives recently took us to an A&W restaurant where they bought us a couple of these burgers to try. Before that, I have never had one. I thought the burger was delicious. I see no reason why a vegan shouldn't have one for a treat once in a while. I am also glad that some meat-eaters seem to like them also. If the masses could get use to eating fake meat, instead of real meat, our planet would be sooo much better off. I mean, it takes a great amount of resources to make meat burgers. Our planet won't be able to sustain that forever. Anyway, here's a link where you can check out "Beyond Meat" products: https://www.beyondmeat.com/products/

Last edited:
I make my own seitan - chorizo, bacon, steaks (firm), steaks (tender - more the texture of chicken). The steaks slice well to go in wraps and stir frys, or I serve them whole. The bacon makes great sandwiches.

It's really easy, and quick. I was so surprised! Also you can use chickpea flour (gram flour) to make a really good tempura batter and deep fry seitan balls in batter. Go lovely with sweet 'n sour sauce.

I tend to be cautious about foods out - I don't like things that remind me too much of meat; I stopped eating it and I have never once missed it but I appreciate that the "tastes like" products are a great help for those in transition, or out and about, or just in a hurry. Also, working mums with young kids probably don't have as much time to cook as I do (I'm older, and only work part time now).

Really though, I like veggie and bean burgers and dishes I've made so I know what's in them.

I think whole foods are most important... maybe I'd consider making my own veggie burger since the kids may enjoy that variety... our highly processed food intake is a main contributor to our lack of health. Plus it'd be cheaper to buy the ingredients than to buy a package, unless it's lasagna lol.

Reactions: Ger and Emma JC
We eat the Beyond Meat Burgers once a week in our house. I really like the flavour. Also, my non-vegan partner and step kids really enjoy them as well. Anything I can do to encourage less animal/animal product in my house is a win!

Reactions: Emma JC and Ger
I was pleasantly surprised to find a Beyond burger yesterday in an unexpected place. We went to a minor league baseball game because our kids’ high school band was playing the national anthem. I ate beforehand, assuming I wouldn’t find much to eat at the game. Well, they actually had Beyond Burgers at the burger stand! Even though I wasn’t hungry I coughed up the $9.50 for a burger and fries meal because I had never had one before. I really enjoyed it, and my non-vegan husband did as well.

Now I’m looking forward to seeing when my local Burger King gets the Impossible Burger- supposedly they roll out nationwide this week!

Reactions: Ger and Emma JC
I have given faux meat a chance. I am not all against. Some may choose such instead of meat from animals, and if it keeps them away from animal's meat, that is better. But I don't need it, and the more it is like animal flesh the less I will want it.

Reactions: Dizzy
So these meat-less burgers are still in the news. This article is all about how Impossible Burgers can help with climate change. As far as marketing goes, I think that makes the most sense. Ethical vegans probably don't want to eat fake meat. WFPB dieters probably don't want anything so processed. So that leaves the Environmentally Motivated.

Pat Brown, the Founder of Impossible is quoted, "The use of animals in food production is by far the most destructive technology on earth. We see our mission as the last chance to save the planet from environmental catastrophe.”

(Brown) " understood that the facts didn’t compel people as strongly as their craving for meat, and that shame was counterproductive. So he’d use the power of the free market to disseminate a better, cheaper replacement. And, because sixty per cent of America’s beef gets ground up, he’d start with burgers."

"the Impossible Burger requires eighty-seven per cent less water and ninety-six per cent less land than a cowburger, and its production generates eighty-nine per cent less G.H.G. emissions."

"Ninety-five per cent of those who buy the Impossible Burger are meat-eaters."

If you haven't following the news about Beyond and Impossible, this article is a great introduction. And if you have it has more depth and substance than most of the news about the burgers.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/30/can-a-burger-help-solve-climate-change