What are your thoughts on impossible/beyond meat burgers?

@JayKayBay, the Beyond Meat sausage is amazing! I was never a fan of animal sausage and was surprised at how much I liked these.

I tried it once, and while it was nice, for my taste it had way too many herbs.

But then, living in Germany, terrific vegan sausages is one thing we have in abundance.

watching a nearby vegan YouTuber yesterday I discovered that there is a fast food vegan-only restaurant that has opened in Toronto (a 2nd or 3rd one from the original in London Ontario that started out as a food truck)

they take everyone's favourite fast food and veganize it, inhouse, and apparently it is delicious

their first foray into the carnavore world was to a Ribfest and they sold their takeoff on the Big Mac, at the Ribfest, and they sold out

The name of the restaurant is Globally Local - hope they spread even further! http://www.globallylocal.ca/

Emma JC

Impossible Whopper back in the news.

Maybe the most relevant takeaway of this article is that it discusses that Impossible calls their product plant-based - not vegan - because of the animal testing. and BK shouldn't be using the word vegan because by default it comes with mayo. and cooked on a grill that also is used for beef.

Reactions: KLS52
I have just watched a recording of a food programme which, this week, was about vegan foods. I didn’t expect to learn any new useful tips but am always interested in how the rest of the world views us.

The presenter flew off to California and hosted a patty barbecue in a country area. He was rather naughty in that he did not tell the guests that he was using beyond meat burgers.

One of the guests was all dressed up in his huge hat and was wearing spurs. He was eating his burger with gusto and saying how good it was.

The presenter whispered “It’s vegan” into his ear. The cowboy’s face immediately took on an expression of revulsion and he just stared with repugnance at the remainder of the uneaten burger.

Which all goes to prove that there are still some people so fully indoctrinated into traditional ways that will always present vegans with an uphill challenge. But, at least, they know about us! :)

Roger.

Spurs?!?! Where did they find that guy.

Someone suggested I try the Beyond Meat Brat and i had it once at a restaurant but now they have it in the grocery store. It is a little expensive. the one I cooked for lunch was not as good as the one I had in the restaurant. Not sure why. there are four in the package so I will get 3 more tries.

Field Roast Apple Sausage is still my favorite tasting and they are less expensive too.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
nobody said:
All traditional prescription and over the counter medicine has been tested on animals and since medicine is considered "necessary", it isn't considered possible or practicable to exclude it. Therefore you can say medicine is vegan, or that it is not "non vegan" to take your medicine. Do you agree, or would you say taking medicine is not vegan, because the medicine was tested on animals?

I understand those needing medication need to take it. Yet it concerns me that people in our society are being overmedicated, as it is businesses that push medication, healthier solutions get censored from their influence. I am not yet getting medication myself, and I eat in as healthy a way as I can. Yet certainly the current pandemic really concerns me. Anyway the plant-based burgers are not so healthy as the whole food I choose for the healthiness, so I don't really seek to have them as it is, though you may, I understand.

Testing on animals is an archaic practice and there are more effective ways of testing now. Do you not care to have testing of animals protested?

I do enjoy fake meat. I love to experiment with it. The plain meat tastes a bit boring to me. Even though I live in a region that has a very conservative meat-eating culture, I can get beyond burgers, next level burgers and so on, in any supermarket around the corner. I think that fake meat should be considered a treat and not a basic food due to the processed nature of these products. My biggest concern, however, is the unnecessary amount of plastic packaging. As far as I know, beyond burger are shipped from the US to Europe and the product does not have an organic label. This might change as Beyond Meat wants to start production in the Netherlands. (Or has started already?)
There are also many delicious alternatives that I can make in my own kitchen from scratch without excess packaging. DIY is awesome. ;)

I'm seeing plant based meats in the meat section of major groceries. I saw one that was clearly called plant based meat (forgot the name), labeled gluten free--but no mention of being vegan (sometimes "plant based" does not mean vegan!). I looked at ingredients and it definitely was vegan, it was like they felt saying 'vegan' would be a negative vibe :shrug: .
The plant based meats are selling well here. I had to return to a store where I purchased Beyond sausage because it wasn't put in my bag--had to return yet again because they were all gone!
I do love the Beyond sausage- I have it maybe once a month